Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Xcar Link Or Grom

Hi,

I'm not if this is covered but I'm seriously considering the USB version of the above, but not sure which one to go for.

Secondly, recommendation required where to get it fitted or if there's anybody out there who could fit it, please PM me. I'm in West London.

Navstar.

Depends what OEM headunit you have.

If its a top loading CD unit (Headunit no's 13903-13906) then the Grom unit will work- just fitted a Grom unit myself this weekend gone, it works well with my 13903 headunit.

If you have a 13902 unit (bottom loading CD unit), then the Grom unit doesn't work (from what I have read on here). So I'd go for the Xcarlink unit.

Fitting the Grom unit is easy- search for Hando's Grom fitting guide. I used Hando's guide to fit my Grom unit- very easy to fit yourself.

Hope this helps.

Depends what OEM headunit you have.

If its a top loading CD unit (Headunit no's 13903-13906) then the Grom unit will work- just fitted a Grom unit myself this weekend gone, it works will with my 13903 headunit.

If you have a 13902 unit (bottom loading CD unit), then the Grom unit doesn't work (from what I have read on here). So I'd go for the Xcarlink unit.

Fitting the Grom unit is easy- search for Hando's Grom fitting guide. I used Hando's guide to fit my Grom unit- very easy to fit yourself.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kam05,

Thanks for the response.

By top loading CD unit, I assume you mean that the CD unit is above the cassette player. It's exactly in the same postion as in Hando's guide/pictures.

Navstar.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered the xcar link usb adapter today as the seller is near me. So, if there are problems, it's not an issue. He did mention that I do not need a y cable as the cd the player is factor fitted. Is this correct.

Has anybody used the xcar link adapter and happy with it. The other good thing is that i can continue to use the cd player and it also has a sdhc and sd card slot.

If it's like the grom one it plugs into the spare cd changer port on the back of the headunit - yes your original cd player will still work fine.

You press the CD button to swap between the normal CD player and your external unit (normal cd will show up as "CD" in the display, the external will show up as "CD1").

I think there have been a few members use the xcarlink one and been happy, I've got the grom and happy with that too :)

If it's like the grom one it plugs into the spare cd changer port on the back of the headunit - yes your original cd player will still work fine.

You press the CD button to swap between the normal CD player and your external unit (normal cd will show up as "CD" in the display, the external will show up as "CD1").

I think there have been a few members use the xcarlink one and been happy, I've got the grom and happy with that too :)

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to receving it tomorrow. Only concern is fitting it. Not much of DIY type person and concerned about damaging the centre conside or cd unit.

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to receving it tomorrow. Only concern is fitting it. Not much of DIY type person and concerned about damaging the centre conside or cd unit.

The most vital thing is to mask everything before removing the stereo/climate unit - the back of it is a bit sharp and the sides of the dash scratch very easily.

Other than that it's pretty straightforward to take the dash apart :)

Yep- mask the dasboard, remove the top air vents (use a screwdriver with masking tape on the tip) to prize out the air vents, then remove bottom panel (which holds the heated seat buttons etc)- this slides out. You should see 4 10mm bolts holding in the climate unit and headunit into the dash- undo these and the whole climate unit and headunit will slide out.

Follow Hando's excellant guide- you won't go wrong with that.

Yep, I went up to car-puter yeaterday (I live nearby) and picked one up....install with the fabulous walk thro tomorrow morning.....masking tape is ready to go !

xcar link is connected. one minute sound was low even when maxed the volume control and now i've lost sound

Completely or just the aux input?

The other end of the adapter han a cable which was designed for the toyota/lexus with the plug that I plugged into the CD changer porter. I assume this is the aux input and thats it. There was a smaller auxillary cable which I haven't used.

I bought the usb version of the adapter.

So your radio and CD still work, but you're not getting anything at all with the new usb input?

I'm not familiar with the USB one (have the grom aux myself) but it should be as straightforward as plugging it in to the spare port.

So your radio and CD still work, but you're not getting anything at all with the new usb input?

I'm not familiar with the USB one (have the grom aux myself) but it should be as straightforward as plugging it in to the spare port.

You're right Parthiban. CD and radio works fine once I removed the adapter but with the adapter the volume remained at ine level. It didn't matter whether I had increased or decreased the volume control. The sound was reasonable but not enough if I was to drive on the motorway. One minute, I lost the sound competely.

I'm going to return it and take a chance on the grom. I don't know if I'm tempting fate.

Which model headunit do you have? It's a 5 digit number in little white lettering near the tape deck..........

That does sound odd and makes me think there's something wrong with that adapter. Might be worth getting a replacement, all it's supposed to do is replicate a CD player, no reason why it should be messing with the volume.

Which model headunit do you have? It's a 5 digit number in little white lettering near the tape deck..........

That does sound odd and makes me think there's something wrong with that adapter. Might be worth getting a replacement, all it's supposed to do is replicate a CD player, no reason why it should be messing with the volume.

I'll check for the number. Regarding xcar link adapter, I'm returning it as they're on N. circular whichh isn't too far for me. I've ordered the grom today and should be here tomorrow.

I'll check for the number. Regarding xcar link adapter, I'm returning it as they're on N. circular whichh isn't too far for me. I've ordered the grom today and should be here tomorrow.

Sure good luck with the grom - if your stereo's a 13902 then it's a bit 50:50 as to whether the grom will work, but otherwise it should be fine :)

Sure good luck with the grom - if your stereo's a 13902 then it's a bit 50:50 as to whether the grom will work, but otherwise it should be fine :)

Thanks. Is this number on the side (only visible once the head unit is removed) or at the front.

Thanks. Is this number on the side (only visible once the head unit is removed) or at the front.

It's on the front, little white lettering just above or under the tape deck I think (it's on the silvery bit of the stereo)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links