Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drive Shafts & Differential

Hi!

I'm one of those who has a problem with vibrations on firstly sixth gear, but now it's catched on to fifth and fourth gear...

I lifted the car today and noticed that I could move the drive shaft axles up and down in the differential housing. (Both sides, about equal). The housing itself seems to be fixed, so it shouln't be the mountings to this.

Is this normal?

The car is an IS200 Sport from 2000. It should be equiped with an LSD, but I'm not shure. The wheels turn the same way when rolling them with the car lifted.

The Toyota parts selling program says the following: 013H REAR DIFFERENTIAL F19X 3.909

So, to summary:

Should you be able to move the drive axles up&down, side to side. Or should they be stiff?

Oh well, just my luck...

Thanks guys!

Do you think this could cause the vibrations? They occur from about 55mph on fourth, fifth and sixth gear. No vibrations in the steeringwheel, but in the rest of the car and sometimes the gear stick looks like it'll jump out of the car! :ohmy:

...and yes I've balanced, rabalanced and replaced my aftermarket rims... :)

Oh well, just my luck...

Thanks guys!

Do you think this could cause the vibrations? They occur from about 55mph on fourth, fifth and sixth gear. No vibrations in the steeringwheel, but in the rest of the car and sometimes the gear stick looks like it'll jump out of the car! :ohmy:

...and yes I've balanced, rabalanced and replaced my aftermarket rims... :)

normally differential bearing wear would be obvious when under load, or on over run, if you do however have movement i would recommend getting the bearings done, in the uk the output shaft bearings are approx £50 each

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links