Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone,

I need to know if I can change rim size from standard 15" to 17 or 18" on my mk 2 1998 Lexus gs 300s without any problems, the new wheels will be coming off a mk 2 anyway so there should not be a problem but would like addvice as mine is a early mk 2.

Many thanks

Don

Your standard rim size is 17" not 15". If you go to 18" you will need some geometry changes.

Sorry i should have typed in 16" which is standard, not 17" as you say well thats what i have on and what it states in

owners manual 225x55 x16R x94v

Don

Your standard rim size is 17" not 15". If you go to 18" you will need some geometry changes.

My GS430SE has the 18" sport wheels fitted which, as far as I know, were an option when the car was new. Does that mean that the geometry on my car is non standard?

My GS430SE has the 18" sport wheels fitted which, as far as I know, were an option when the car was new. Does that mean that the geometry on my car is non standard?

I think he meant speedometer not geometry, but no changes are necessary just make sure you choose the right profile tyre.

If you change the rim size ie 17" to 18", you need to make sure the tyre has the correct profile to compensate. This makes sure the tacho reads correct and also acceleration doesn't suffer, all be it very slightly.

There are charts on 'wheel' web sites that show what tyre profile you need for a particular wheel. For eg if your 17" wheel with tyre is 24" diameter ( 24" is big just an example to use ) then a replacement 18" with tyre should also equal 24".

It's all about the profiles. Any rim supplier will give you the information. Personally, keep the 17".

I think he meant speedometer not geometry, but no changes are necessary just make sure you choose the right profile tyre.

If you change the rim size ie 17" to 18", you need to make sure the tyre has the correct profile to compensate. This makes sure the tacho reads correct and also acceleration doesn't suffer, all be it very slightly.

There are charts on 'wheel' web sites that show what tyre profile you need for a particular wheel. For eg if your 17" wheel with tyre is 24" diameter ( 24" is big just an example to use ) then a replacement 18" with tyre should also equal 24".

It's all about the profiles. Any rim supplier will give you the information. Personally, keep the 17".

As far as I am aware no changes are needed to the speedometer, odometer or tachometer because, as you state, if the rim size is changed then the profile should also be altered to keep the total diameter the same. Since the diameter remains the same I could see no reason for the geometry to require to be changed, so wondered if Mike246 had a particular reason for thinking that.

As far as I am aware no changes are needed to the speedometer, odometer or tachometer because, as you state, if the rim size is changed then the profile should also be altered to keep the total diameter the same. Since the diameter remains the same I could see no reason for the geometry to require to be changed, so wondered if Mike246 had a particular reason for thinking that.

Well thanks for the info, the reason i asked the question was i need new rubbers on my 1998 which 16" was standard and there is a scrapped 1999 on e bay which 17" was standerd that year, and i was going to have those wheels and tyres but i think i will just keep my 16" standerds and fit new rubbers

many thanks

don

Well thanks for the info, the reason i asked the question was i need new rubbers on my 1998 which 16" was standard and there is a scrapped 1999 on e bay which 17" was standerd that year, and i was going to have those wheels and tyres but i think i will just keep my 16" standerds and fit new rubbers

many thanks

don

New tyres are probably best option. If you buy wheels with used tyres you can never really be 100% sure that the tyres have no hidden damage.

many thanks

don

New tyres are probably best option. If you buy wheels with used tyres you can never really be 100% sure that the tyres have no hidden damage.

Thanks thats what i will do i was just looking at options and after all, i did have my wheels referb last year so i will look around prices on new rubbers but what to have on at mo i have goodrich, and they was not a bad tyre . the last time ahad new tyres was on my granny and they was 100 each so i guess the prices wil still be around that.

many thanks to all

don

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links