Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Fog Light Bulb Problem

Hello all,

The original owner of my IS200 had replaced the rear fog lights with clear lenses and red coloured bulbs which I

have to say do look nice. However at a recent MOT it was pointed out that there was too much white in the light,

due to deterioration in the red colouring of the bulbs (probably due to heat). The garage suggested using red bulb

paint to rectify the problem but this has not been particularly successful.

The bulbs fitted are capless (wedge) with 4 wire connections and seem to be dual filament 21W/5W stop/tail bulbs,

presumably with only the 21W filament being used for the fog lights, although I can't quite see if both filaments

light or not. The user manual specifies 21W bulbs, presumably single filament, although the bulb sockets do have

multiple contacts. I guess that the dual filament type may have been used because they are available in red?

However I can't seem to find any source of these red bulbs, either single or dual filament.

Has anyone else got these clear rear fogs? Can someone please confirm whether rear fogs should use single or dual

filament bulbs?

Any suggestions where I can obtain suitable red bulbs, preferably in the UK?

Regards to all, eigenvalue

Thanks for the replies. I guess 'the mod' must have been done - I see the bulb sockets do have more than 2 contacts. Does anyone know where I might get suitable replacement red bulbs? I know one route is to get clear bulbs and use red lacquer but I'd prefer to buy the proper red bulbs.

Red LED bulbs are a possibility but the bulb fitting is such that the bulb sits at a slight angle (from shining directly from the side of the bulb). LEDs tend to have quite a narrow angle of illumination so this may not work too well.

Anyone found a good answer to this?

Regards, eigenvalue

Thanks for this - I must have a look at the Tower LEDs.

I think I may have located red bulbs similar to the ones presently fitted. They are the '7443' version on the following page:

http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/Toyota-...red-(3157).html

There may still be the problem of deterioration of the red coating due to heat.

Thanks to all for the information.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links