Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need File Structure For Mp3 Dvd Disk

I have replaced the radio unit in my 2003 RX 300 with a later version that includes playback of DVDs and CDs containing MP3 (and WMA) files.

Have burnt a DVD with MP3 files but the unit doesn't read them. Whilst it recognises the disk as DVD, I get the message 'NO MUSIC'. I have tried 3 different file structures, from root, through to primary and secondary folder. I suspect that to get this to work I need to set up a specific file structure. But I don't have the Operating Manual for this later unit.

Would appreciate it if any member with a similar unit (DVD/MP3/WMA) could look in their manual and advise the correct file structure, together with any other instructions.

(Found the unit on eBay and replacement was relatively easy. The connectors from the old unit fit perfectly the new and all the functionality of the old; FM, LW, TAPE, DISC, are retained in the newer unit. There are additional connections for DVD video playback, I imagine through headrest monitors, but I'm not interested in that as I always sit in the driver's seat - the car's built for MY entertainment, not my passengers').

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Andrew

By trial and error I've found that I have no problem when using a CD to burn the MP3 files to.

However, with a DVD it just won't read it.

I think that the DVD can only be encoded as DVD-Audio, which appears to be quite an esoteric format that never really took off. It appears to be encoded the same way as the audio track on conventional DVDs. Indeed, when you insert such a video DVD, you do hear the soundtrack, but you can't really browse it.

So I conclude that the only way to maximise the number of tracks is to forget the DVD route. Rather, compress to a suitable level the MP3 files before copying them to the CD. I've used 320 which allows for 4-5 CD equivalents. Using higher compression will of course give more. Folders are supported, including artist and album names, and I imagine there may well be a maximum of 99 files per folder. But I've not tested to that limit and as I've got it working now how I want I'm not experimenting any further.

But I am disappointed that I've not been able to obtain the appropriate owner's manual information through this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

As you have found out, you just can't copy MP3 to a DVD and expect them to play, which is disappointing. Even DVD-Audio does have some issues. To work around this problem I use Audio DVD creator which allows you to drag and drop 100's of MP3's and sort them in any order you wish. Ensure 'AutoPlay' is enabled and then you do not need to interact via the screen, simply use the next track buttons to skip tracks. It is a fudge I know but at least you can now store much more MP3's than you would on CD's.

Hope this helps

Wozza

Andrew

By trial and error I've found that I have no problem when using a CD to burn the MP3 files to.

However, with a DVD it just won't read it.

I think that the DVD can only be encoded as DVD-Audio, which appears to be quite an esoteric format that never really took off. It appears to be encoded the same way as the audio track on conventional DVDs. Indeed, when you insert such a video DVD, you do hear the soundtrack, but you can't really browse it.

So I conclude that the only way to maximise the number of tracks is to forget the DVD route. Rather, compress to a suitable level the MP3 files before copying them to the CD. I've used 320 which allows for 4-5 CD equivalents. Using higher compression will of course give more. Folders are supported, including artist and album names, and I imagine there may well be a maximum of 99 files per folder. But I've not tested to that limit and as I've got it working now how I want I'm not experimenting any further.

But I am disappointed that I've not been able to obtain the appropriate owner's manual information through this forum.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links