Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very Happy With A *major* Service

Sven

Hi all, (first post in a while!!)

Before I start, I'm not associated with the local garage, that's why I dont mention their name. I will if asked though :winky:

I'd just like to say that I've just taken my IS 200 SE for as service at a local guy in Royston (Herts) and I am beyond happy with the job they've done. I'd been putting it off for a while, and started to save my money for "The Big One".

Please, don't shout at me... I've got to 140k and my last service was at 96k. So, it was going to be timing belt, all the fluids etc etc etc..

First quote from Lexus Hatfield was £611 for the 100k service as that included the belt, and my local quote was £520. As there was less than £100 in it, I though I may as well take it to Lexus and get the works, get it cleaned and truly spoilt rotten for miles and miles of good running. So, I called them back and the lovely lady there has a quick word with the service department. They then recommend that I do the 120k service as that one has the spark plug change. "Ok, can't be too bad" I thought.

"So, that will be £737 for the service and £495 for the timing belt"

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

"Errmm... sorry!? You've just doubled my quote in one sentence.. err.. how!?"

After a bit of "haggling" I managed to get a quote for the 100k service 611, plus the plugs... taking it to 850.

Thats right... £40 per spark plug. But thats ok, I was getting my brake fluid changed too in the 100k service.

So, I called the local place back up told them that I wanted the service and also needed new plugs and brake fluid. The quote went up to £530. *SOLD*!!

So I dropped it off last night (Friday night) to collect it Saturday lunch time (today). All good, timing belt, told me a few of the problems that need to be fixed (tyres wearing odd)(more tyres next week then!)

Final price: £507.35.. parts, labour and vat! Niiiiice!

I was very close to the belt going apparently.. check out the picture!! :excl:

Anyway, my main point is (if I have one) is that with an X Reg IS200 SE Auto is it worth spending £1.2K on a service when the same parts and job can be done for less that half price but doesn't have the official stamp on the books? What do you do, and would you have done the same as me (with the limited funds??)

Cheers,

Sven.

cambelt.jpg

If you don't intend to sell the car then theres no point having it officially stamp from lexus. The only reason would be that you really want the peace of mind having the car done by the dealers. I myself prefer to buy my own bits over time and take it to a local garage to get it done. That way you know whats going into the car. Usually when you get a cheaper service from a local is that they use parts like uniparts etc. Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with their parts (they have all been tested to and above the regulations), but im just picky and like to buy bits that actual owners here in the forum recommend.

Hi all, (first post in a while!!)

Before I start, I'm not associated with the local garage, that's why I dont mention their name. I will if asked though :winky:

I'd just like to say that I've just taken my IS 200 SE for as service at a local guy in Royston (Herts) and I am beyond happy with the job they've done. I'd been putting it off for a while, and started to save my money for "The Big One".

Please, don't shout at me... I've got to 140k and my last service was at 96k. So, it was going to be timing belt, all the fluids etc etc etc..

First quote from Lexus Hatfield was £611 for the 100k service as that included the belt, and my local quote was £520. As there was less than £100 in it, I though I may as well take it to Lexus and get the works, get it cleaned and truly spoilt rotten for miles and miles of good running. So, I called them back and the lovely lady there has a quick word with the service department. They then recommend that I do the 120k service as that one has the spark plug change. "Ok, can't be too bad" I thought.

"So, that will be £737 for the service and £495 for the timing belt"

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

"Errmm... sorry!? You've just doubled my quote in one sentence.. err.. how!?"

After a bit of "haggling" I managed to get a quote for the 100k service 611, plus the plugs... taking it to 850.

Thats right... £40 per spark plug. But thats ok, I was getting my brake fluid changed too in the 100k service.

So, I called the local place back up told them that I wanted the service and also needed new plugs and brake fluid. The quote went up to £530. *SOLD*!!

So I dropped it off last night (Friday night) to collect it Saturday lunch time (today). All good, timing belt, told me a few of the problems that need to be fixed (tyres wearing odd)(more tyres next week then!)

Final price: £507.35.. parts, labour and vat! Niiiiice!

I was very close to the belt going apparently.. check out the picture!! :excl:

Anyway, my main point is (if I have one) is that with an X Reg IS200 SE Auto is it worth spending £1.2K on a service when the same parts and job can be done for less that half price but doesn't have the official stamp on the books? What do you do, and would you have done the same as me (with the limited funds??)

Cheers,

Sven.

cambelt.jpg

44k without a service? nice :whistling: just goes to show these cars are bomb proof (even the belt did well)

thank god i'm a tec and do all the work myself!!!!

I wish! I can standard stuff, but I wouldnt have attempted something on this scale myself. Not without a Haynes manual anyway ;-)

44k without a service? nice :whistling: just goes to show these cars are bomb proof (even the belt did well)

Yea.. tell me about it :-)

Oddest part is the economy! over the last 6 months I've been getting 440 miles out of the tank, as opposed to 390! I need to see what happens this week. I'll let you know!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links