Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Valve Timing!

mikko

Hi everybody!

I have a problem with my altezza. This is what happened: I opened the engine and when I was about to remove the cam´s I did open the vvti system at the front of the cam´s. It has a large spring inside so it did "explode" and the valve timing is now impossible to se correctly, because I can´t know which position is correct for the parts indese the vvti-"can".

Solution for this would be a mesure after top dead cente for the camshafts or if there is somekind of markers in cams that I am not able to find?

Or a mesure that when intake valve is open X millimeters, the exhaust valve is open Y millimeters.

If I could find the zero point for exhaust cam I could continue my reassemling, the intake cam is fine.

-Mikko

Could someone send pictures from removed one, so that I might be able to set the inner parts in right angle with the outer tooths???

Also if someone has a spare one of these exhaust vvti "can´s" and would send it reasonably to Finland I am intrested of buying one.

This is what mine looks like assebled whitout knowledge of how to position of the center piece with the outer marker. A similar image of right assebled "can" would solve it all so that I could put the center piece in a same agle with the outer line marker.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6664/dsc0312o.jpg

Please help, I am in a hurry putting my engine back together!

Mate, without the toyota manual (only available in japanese) you wont get the vvti drive gear back together.

you should not dismantle the drive gear at all....you will not manage to set it back up again without a manual

even the Toyota peeps hate working on the vvti drive gear on the 3sge, if they have to there is a very precise sequence and tools used to remove it without it all doing as you .......have done

why did you remove it completely

Mate, without the toyota manual (only available in japanese) you wont get the vvti drive gear back together.

you should not dismantle the drive gear at all....you will not manage to set it back up again without a manual

even the Toyota peeps hate working on the vvti drive gear on the 3sge, if they have to there is a very precise sequence and tools used to remove it without it all doing as you .......have done

why did you remove it completely

I allready did put it together (as you see in the picture), was real pain in the ***** tho. Now i should remove it again to get center gear into right position.

I know I shouldt dismantle it, but I wasnt aware of that when I was dismantling the engine. If someone has this manual, please post a picture of the page considering this part!! thank you!

Did you mark the cambelt or pullys before you pulled it off?

This may help http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclu...?showtopic=8708

The already is factory marks so I didnt think it was needed, so no. And that topic doesnt help, because I cant see the midle bolt in the part so I cant use any of that info for alligning the pulley.

It´s hard for me to explain, but the center of the pulley is now turned and the marks on the outer rim are wrong. You can see the midle "tooth" or hole in this picture, and I have no idea wich direction it should point at (now pointing north-east):

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6664/dsc0312o.jpg

If someone has similar part 13060-74010 and could take couple of good pictures of it so that I could re alling the center piece with the outer pulley part correctly???

• 4 years later...

im only after doing the same, likewise one exploded when removing cams to get thee head off,

cant get the cans back together now...

How can the cams be removed without taking the cans apart??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links