Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Cutting.

Norv

Hi there,

I bought a blank master key for my Lex as I only have one master key and one valet key. Now I haven't tried programming it yet as I can't find anywhere that can cut the blank for me!

Now can I ask someone a really big favour and possibly send them the valet key and my blank (along with some beer money) who passes a decent key cutting place?

My other options are to drive to Southampton to find somewhere that can do it, but all the places in Salisbury I have phoned say they can do it, some even have a picture of a Lexus badge on a sign saying we can cut keys, but still say they can't cut it that fine? Or does anyone know of a place in Southampton that has cut one for them?

Cheers, Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some new blank keys for my dad (via ebay) as both sets of his keys dropped in bits.

I changed the innards for him when i was at his and left it at that, assuming he could get them cut.

No such luck, he cant find anywhere in Burnley that does them. I live in london and my local timpsons reckons they can do it.

I should know by next week if it was succesfull (he's posting the keys to me), if so i'll let you know.

If you want I can get some cut for you as im only getting the one done for him, if it works im going to go back and get his second one done.

Model : IS200 (03 plate)

Key : 3 button 35mm type

Interesting you mention this as my car is in the garage for a service.

I asked them to replace the Battery in my key as its on the way out.

The mechanic asked if I had a spare key that blips - i.e open/locks the car by pressing a button? I havent, only a grey key.

He advised I get spare "blipping key" as if you loose your only one its a bill upwards of £1000 to reprogramme the entire locking system etc with a new key. A pain in the ****

I spoke to lexus and its about £150 to get a spare blipping key for the car. They have to import it from Germany?

I may look to get another at some point. Until then, DONT loose your key! :crying:

mmmm, i did read in another forum that the way around this is to get a key of eBay (on old one which is already cut) and remove the "blippy bit" (transponder).

then place it into a new chassis and reprogramme the transponder to match yours.

I once did this with an et4 scooter, re-programming was easy. Its likely that there is an easy way to do it (which lexus probly wont tell you) but the forum i looked at stated that the total cost doing it this way was £25.

sounds better than £150.

I'll look into it to satisfy my natural curiosity for all things electronic.

One of my keys fell apart (previous thread).

I got a replacement from Hong Kong via eBay for £7, thinking the blades can be swithced but they can't.

The blade on the new key is longer than mine so I need that cutting down too, then I can switch the inards.

Anyone know anywhere near Manchester that will do this?

Okay that was quick but basically DONT PAY £150 (hate bloody rip-off companies a little knowlege goes a long way)

look at this link on another forum, re-programing is a doddle (sort of).

The principle is

1 - Buy used key (off ebay?) just for the transponder

2 - Buy blank key chassis (ebay again?)

3 - Put used transponer in chassis

4 - Cut key

5 - Re-programme as per above link

This way you can have all the keys you want at a fraction of the cost

enjoy

The blades come in 2 sizes 35mm and 40mm.

Sounds like you got the 40mm type, would recommend not cutting it down. Best to start again and sell your 40mm key.

I nearly made the same mistake, but the measurment is taken from the tip of the blade to where it enters the chassis, not where it end inside the chassis.

As for cutting in manchester use a timpsons, would try a busy area like train station or centre of town (more likely to be experienced and know what they are doing - commuters and business types passing through). It'll probly cost £5-£7 as you are supplying the key but they dont guarantee it, other people on forums have said its not a problem - Who dares wins !!!

Key cutting in manchester area no problem. Opposite Dukinfield town hall company called key fax. If you stand with your back to the town hall you will see a pelican crossing. Use the crossing and you will walk straight into keyfax front door. Cant really miss the place. They will cut, reprogram and suply any key for just about any car. Pretty certain they will only get blanks from the dealer but they will cut your own blank if you take them one.

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links