Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Personal Plates - Possibly Irish?

monster

Hi folks, I need a bit of advice from those who may be in the know. I'm after buying my wife a personalised number plate for the RX300. I've not seen any that look suitable but have noticed plates that are 3 letters followed by 4 numbers - which I think are irish? What I'm wondering is can these plates be bought online and placed on cars over here? Also does anyone know where to get them and how much they cost? I've looked but can only see ones on the rip off websites rather than an official (cheaper) ones.

Anyone clued up on these things? :unsure:

Thanks, Miles

Irish plates look like:

http://www.numberplates.ie/

Pretty strict over here on the format.

Gotta have the black border of the right thickness, gotta have the blue at the left with the 13 stars and IRL, can only be of the format YY-CC-NUMBER where yy's the last two digits of the year, CC is the county (eg meath is MH) and the number is sequential depending on when it was registered. Even the font has to be the same boring thing in order to be technically legal :( we'r not allowed have any fun

I'm gonna try getting showplates made with a slightly different font (see the link above and go to show plates) but meeting all the other requirements met... has anyone else tried this? any hassle with being stopped for it or anything?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My name on here is my number plate. Yes its from ireland. I have had it for 5/6 years was £300 including transfers. NUmber plates are only worth what someoen is prepared to pay for them and its all a mater of taste. I have had my plate on a few cars over the years i have owned it tbh i think it looks tacky on the Lexus and its for sale on a few web sites. If you just want a cheap dateless plate then look on eBay stay away from obvious names and thing like that even mbz numbers have gone up in price as mercedes owners are starting to buy them.

My name is phil lilley the number plate l111eyc was for sale at aprox £300 my wifes name being Clair The number would have been lilley c or pretty close. The same plate with a p wasnt available.

A pal of mine called walter has the plate W4LLY on his Aston, 40k it cost him to have wally wrote on his car, you thinking what every one else thinks 40k wally is just about right.

Oh be carfull if you get an irish plate like mine fil or oil both are legal but i had so many disagreements withthe police on ow to display the i. Number plates over here cannot be made with an upper case/ capital i as the letter doesnt exsist on english plates it was never issued. You have to have the number 1 put on your plate but then i know this is wrong. I ended up with odd plates when i first got the number I had an f1l 4362 on the front and fil4362 on the back so when i got stopped i could explain to the police what the problem was most of them didnt know the answer. In the end i enquired at dvla who told me it had to be a 1 displayed even though we all new it should be an i. The police have all stopped me at some point now so they all know me and dont bother any more.

my name is my number too(mat ayton)

my wife(karen) has kaz 5500

my advice, either pay very little for something to hide the age of the car or pay through the nose for something you can keep forever(as long as its pretty easy to understand).

cheap ones normally look just that...cheap

doctored ones look stupid

offer the dealers very low amounts to start with, i had NAS 287 up for sale via the dealers, i wanted around £800-£1000 for it, it was advertised on their website for £2500! i got a call of them offering me £700, after 5 seconds i got my £800. you do the maths!!

Thanks for your help guys. Got one with my wifes initials from Dvla for the rx. Just gotta get another for myself now. Wish I would have taken the old one off the Aristo now! :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links