Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Appauled By Lexus

Hi i have been looking for a RX400h now for two months after selling my GS300 and thought i would buy from a lexus approved dealer. My local lexus dealer Norwich have been looking for me but i want a SE or SE-L under 40K miles and they only have one with 49,000 on clock which they offered me for £18,975, good price but had various scrapes and mileage to high for me. So when i see that Lexus Derby had a SE-L for 20,9750 with 43k i thought might be worth a look so contacted them and on saturday came to a price of £20k and said that i would come up on sunday (yesterday) and have a look and possible go back by train on thursday and drive home, as i live in Lowestoft suffolk. I asked them could they put the car under cover so it would not be covered in snow or wet so i could have a good look over it. I also asked whether it had been painted and they told me had a couple of stone chips touched up but nothing major and that it was all ready to go. The sales man said he would not be there but would tell his colleague my requirements and that i was coming tomorrow.He said he would speak to me again on tuesady to arrange me picking it up.

I left my house at 8.30 and drove up to Derby with the roads being terrible, icy, i had a 9 hour 320 mile round trip and didn't get home till gone 5pm.

When i got to the dealer the car was outside covered in snow, i went in and they got the keys but could only open the drivers door as the Battery was totally flat so central locking didn't work, the rear bumper had been sprayed (badly) you could see where they had masked the black plastic up, there was a scrape on passenger front bumper, the fuel filler flap didn't fit flush for some reason, scratch's down passenger side doors, when i pointed these out , you could see the sales guy was embarassed. He did offer to fill my car up for me, but this is not what i expect from Lexus. When i was told the car was ready to go i least expect it to start!!

I phoned Lexus uk this morning and they were not much help, i asked if there was a standard that a car had to be before it was put onto the forecourt and was told no there wasn't. I have emailed the saleman who i was dealing with and am still waiting for a reply, i dont want to buy from a non lexus dealer but its looking more likely. I know i have an eye for paint work but even stevie wonder would not buy that.

Still looking.

Phil

it was all ready to go

Unfortunately they all are :(

Have you tried looking on Lexus website and finding one then asking Norwich to get it transferred down for your inspection. This happens quite regularly in the motor trade. That way they would get the deal and you would not be messed about.

Update - Birmingham have an SE for under £21k so should be easily negotiable with no p/ex. Lexus website for used is absolutley applaiing, you can't select model derivative and it;s so so slow ( goes through www.supercar.co.uk for some reason ).

it was all ready to go

Unfortunately they all are :(

Have you tried looking on Lexus website and finding one then asking Norwich to get it transferred down for your inspection. This happens quite regularly in the motor trade. That way they would get the deal and you would not be messed about.

Yes mate i have , but they are part of the incape group and would really only be able to get cars from there other group members ( Derby being one of them ) but they could not get that for the price i got quoted from derby ! Other dealerships they say the price has to be right for them to be able to get a particlate car down.

Phil

He did offer to fill my car up for me, but this is not what i expect from Lexus.

Thats more than fair mate. I don't think BMW/Audi would have been quick to offer that up by way of 'apology'.

I accept [and share] your frustrations on the standard of preparation of these 'approved' vehicles.

Hi phil,

I recently purchased one :), I can't thank the dealership and sales man they were brilliant, they gave the car a full 40k service and it was immaculate, ver happy with it, even when I went to pick it up, they ring me to check how I am getting on, anyway thy have an 06 400h se 29k on the clock, probably get it around ur budget, grey with tan leather, pm me if you want more info, can send you the details of the sales man and place, they will give you a full yers Toyota approved warranty. I was happy with them anyway :)

I bought my 400h with 18k on the clock at a very good price from Lexus Cheltenham in August 2009. They could not have been more helpful and cooperative as I needed to trade in a RX300 navigator I had bought 5 weeks earlier, which I found very uncomfortable and impossible for my wife to drive as it did not have the telescopic steering column.(she either had the steering wheel under her chin or could not reach the pedals!)

I wonder if you have just been unlucky with a poor salesman, who needs to be taken to task by his General Manager. Have you raised the matter with the GM?

Yes, I do carry a Blackspur Battery starter pack in case of Battery failure to be on the safe side. But on the whole I think the RX400h is a splendid vehicle and "does all it says on the tin!"

Don't be put off with one bad experience. Keep looking and shop around. Have you been on the Lexus web site and have a look at Autotrader on line. Usually good cars and many from Lexus showrooms. Regards Linehill

Thanks for all your reply's, Have just got off the phone from recieving a call from lexus Derby, sales manager.

He could not apologise enough and wanted to know every detail, he agreed the car was not up to standard and what i was told the day before would happen to the car was not carried out and an internal enquiry will take place. He has promised to find me a suitable car and will bring it down to me to view if he can locate one.

So i can't say much more too that other than he is trying to put things right for me and i appreciate that.

So watch this space hopefully with Lexus Derby, Norwich, Ipswich looking for me it won't be to long before i get one.He did say they started it saturday afternoon and expected it to start although there are a few issues with the batteries on th RX400h.

Phil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links