Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Iced Up Wipers - Well Done 400h

So, it's finally snowed in Somerset, wisely I parked my Toyota Hilux and wife's Mini in the garage leaving the 400h on the drive. Thinking, if it really snows, the Hilux won't need to be cleaned off before I get in and lock my diffs!!!

Anyway, nip outside this morning and think, I'll turn on car to see just how cold it is - minus 5 being the answer. But, as I turn on the ignition, my smart Lexus thinks to itself - "Do you know I'll just clear that windscreen for you Sir". Oh no you won't, turns out wipers are frozen solid. They move but a millimeter and stop. Oh **** thinks I, that's the fuse blown on that then.

Annoyed, I return to the house and tell sad story to wife, "I'm glad that happened to you" came the cheerful reply.

To try and save time, I phone Lexus Poole to ask where about the fuse is, girl doesn't know, no-one in workshop, am advised to read manual!

I take big jug of hot water outside and defrost wipers - tentatively I start car and switch wipers on - great relief and admiration, they move sweetly across a well iced screen - nice.

Very impressive to not have blown fuse, this is my second 400h and I still can't fault them, just a pity 450h is such a let down.

Also, I have to say that the car started as if it was a perfect summers day, so pleased not to have an ordinary starter motor, they're so 20th Century.

Cheers and happy new year

JB

Yep - had exactly the same here - forgot I'd left all my wipers on intermittent from Tuesday night; shovelled the snow and ice off this morning and then thought 'What's the noise? - oh, it's the wipers now awake and wiping off the rest.' No blown fuses, burnt out motors... thanks Lexus! And a great drive in over packed snow and ice.

Out of interest, what's the let down re the 450h?

On the 450h, back in 2006 I bought a 400h when they were still quite new to the UK, so it was 3 years old in March 2009. I waited as we all did for details of the 450h thinking it was going to be a big step forward.

My thoughts are this:

1. Not really that good looking

2. Not as quick as 400h because:

3. Its HEAVY

4. Price

5. No discounts yet

So I decided to stick with 400h and even ordered the extended RAC cover, which is very cheap if bought through Lexus, was going to wait till it was 5 for extended warranty.

Anyway, I get a call from dealer saying he's got someone who wants my car, and I do a deal on new 400h Executive Limited Edition for £32,500, just before they put the prices up in April! Couldn't say no to that and 450h looked silly in comparison. I cancelled the RAC thing with no bother.

I've just looked, and an SE-I 450h (similar spec to Executive Limited Edition) metallic paint but NO sunroof is £47,490 - wow. Even if 450h does save a bit on fuel and tax, it's never going to be difference between the price of the two.

If Lexus had worked as hard on making the car lighter as they do on everything else, then acceleration and economy would be much better.

There you go.

Would be shocked if auto wipers blew a fuse due to being frozen; never had a problem on any car I've had - believe if they can't move easily the motor just cuts out same on folding door mirrors etc.

Agree with you 100% on the 450H if it had arrived at the same price point as the 400 I would have been very very tempted but as it is really don't see how it's worth it. Ok it's cutting edge technology but the RX400 was pretty much up there too and that didn't carry such a premium!

As a car though it's superb - but worth £15k more than 400....don't think so.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links