Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm considering replacing my girlfriend's IS300 with a Mk2 GS300 or GS430.

- Prices seem fairly similar.

- I know the 3.0 and like the engine as it's supersmooth and super reliable

- Fuel consumption is not really important (she only does about 3-4000 miles per year)

- Performance is not really important either. She doesn't use it and if I want performance, I use my car(s)

Any advice on which one to go for?

Are they both as reliable ? (reliability is imperative !)

Are the GS430's better spec'ed than the GS300 ?

Thanks for your opinions.

If you can find a GS430 I'd get one of those (V8 powaaa!!!)

So does the GS430 simply do everything the GS300 does with the advantage of some extra power? Or were there any other drawbacks than the higher pricetag when new?

Reliability? Does it need more maintenance? I don't want to buy a car where I need to replace half of the parts during the first 6 months. As said, it's supposed to be a no-trouble runabout.

(As said in the opening post, I got V8 power already available for myself. 6.3 liter and 525bhp will do ;) )

From what I know of the MK2 GS range the 430 was rare (high price?). You'll find plenty of 300's but the 430's are thin on the ground.

I think most people who want a V8 went for the LS430 and not the GS430. The 4.3 should be a reliable lump, as most Toyota/Lexus engines are.

Thanks.

Seen a few 430's for sale.

Any more opinions?

I have a 430 sport had it for about 10 months now and it has been a bit problematical. If you want my opinion go for the 300, the spec is the same virtually ,your not intrested in performance so that dosen't matter and there is a lot more of them about to choose from so you can be bit more picky in what you want.

A garage i had used before for a few things didnt even want to know my 430 when i asked about getting my brakes done and its not as if its a micky mouse one either, dealt with my bm 740 and it always has mercs ,audis and beamers going in and out. the guy said he didnt deal lexus v8s ( dont ask me why ).

So just as an example some garages that you may have used in the past might not want to deal with a 430 but that might just be an extreme thing that has happend to me.

I have a 430 sport had it for about 10 months now and it has been a bit problematical. If you want my opinion go for the 300, the spec is the same virtually ,your not intrested in performance so that dosen't matter and there is a lot more of them about to choose from so you can be bit more picky in what you want.

A garage i had used before for a few things didnt even want to know my 430 when i asked about getting my brakes done and its not as if its a micky mouse one either, dealt with my bm 740 and it always has mercs ,audis and beamers going in and out. the guy said he didnt deal lexus v8s ( dont ask me why ).

So just as an example some garages that you may have used in the past might not want to deal with a 430 but that might just be an extreme thing that has happend to me.

Interesting. So what kind of glitches di you have and do you think they were more specific to the 430 or simply because you couldn't be as picky when selecting a GS?

On dealers, I couldn't say. The Merc always goes to the main dealer and the Evo is serviced by the Ralliart dealer locally. The Lexus needs a service soon and I haven't decided yet whether to take it to a dealer or doing it myself.

It does surprise me that that garage didn't want to deal with Lexus V8's. Did they deal with Lexus's at all?

The engines should be equally reliable.

The running gear is identical.

Some jobs are more difficult on the V8 (e.g. starter motor).

The V8 has two more of some things. :)

I think the main thing I'd worry about would be the early GS300 master cylinder, but that's easy to avoid.

There are very few GS430s for sale.

If you don't want the extra 60 bhp you might as well buy a GS300.

The engines should be equally reliable.

The running gear is identical.

Some jobs are more difficult on the V8 (e.g. starter motor).

The V8 has two more of some things. :)

I think the main thing I'd worry about would be the early GS300 master cylinder, but that's easy to avoid.

There are very few GS430s for sale.

If you don't want the extra 60 bhp you might as well buy a GS300.

What is an 'early' GS300 ? Should I also be worried of the one on my 51-plate IS300?

How do you then avoid it?

Seen a few GS's with orange rear indicators and some have red ones (in a completely red rear cluster). Different modelyears?

Do we also have a logic for this ? ;)

Yes. 430, apart from being faster and more responsive it will cruise at lower revs. I had a Series 1 300 Sport for 6 years (yes I know it was the straight six non vvti engine) and although I preferred the smoother shape the 430 certainly seems "easier to drive".

The brake cylinder issue was resolved on 2001 model facelift from Oct/Nov 2000 build by fitting a larger unit.

They certainly were a mickey mouse outfit if they wouldn't touch just the brakes - the braking system is identical! The caliper end of the system is exactly the same on all 99-05 IS and 98-05 MkII GS models.

I'd get a 430 - I love mine. They are totally effortless to waft around in, and when you put your foot down, give you a shove in the back and a mellow roar in your ears the way only a V8 can. :D

Interesting. So what kind of glitches di you have and do you think they were more specific to the 430 or simply because you couldn't be as picky when selecting a GS?

On dealers, I couldn't say. The Merc always goes to the main dealer and the Evo is serviced by the Ralliart dealer locally. The Lexus needs a service soon and I haven't decided yet whether to take it to a dealer or doing it myself.

It does surprise me that that garage didn't want to deal with Lexus V8's. Did they deal with Lexus's at all?

Don't think the problems i have had are because its the V8, have an oxygen sensor prob at the moment which seems to happen to both the 300 and 430 the more worrying problem ive had is the gearbox ,it decided a few times not to change up into top gear but over the last couple of months it has been behaving its self so i am going to get the fluid change and hope it continues to play ball.

You are spot on about being able select the car you want when i was looking there was always alot of 300s around with very good history to pick from but the 430s were different they were very thin on the ground and i knew when i was buying my that i was taking a risk because although it had a full service history it wasnt a manufacturer one and to me that is king with any car.

The V8 is superb i had a 4.4 V8 beamer before and its miles better than that , the lexus V8 does seem to be bullet proof from what i have read on both here and the america forums and i dont regret buying it because its such a nice car to drive but i feel because your not really intrested in performance you should go for a 300 because its the safer bet and you can get what you want without having to make any compromises which is what i had to do.

Gearboxes an issue?

I know mine received a new gearbox at 70000 miles

Imformation on that seems to be fague everyone says that they are bullitproof as well but reading on the america forums you do get some failures but dont think its a trend type of thing , just think i have been unlucky.

The way i look at it for an example if my gearbox is knackered it 6-7 grand for a new one from lexus ,I will be very lucky if i find one elsewhere because there arent that many about ,but if it was a 300 i would easily be able to find a box from somewhere or buy an older car and break it for the tranny.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a GS 430(2001) with the nav. I love it. Its fantastic to drive and the only concern I have is about the engine revs being above 2000 when at 70mph. Is this the normal rev for the 430s?

Yes m8 it is you have nothing to worry about.

I've had a 2003 430 sport since 2005 and also previously had the GS300's and the standard 430 for a time - not had any major problems with mine so sorry to hear about someone who has. The 430 has steering wheel audio controls but that's about it in terms of difference whereas I think the 300 has steering mounted gear change buttons to compensate.

430 just a nicer drive IMO and has the additional power if you need it.

Oh and if you do look for a 430, avoid the early ones on X and Y as some of them do not have memory seats if I remember - also whether GS300 or 430, get it with Satnav and go for the post 2001 models as they had the later satnav system - all of them with Satnav give you a fuel computer into the bargain. (The later Satnav system has route preview and seems quicker in operation.)

To hurl a spanner ...

I can't believe you're asking us to pick your gf's car?! Have you asked her which she'd like and if it suits her needs?

430s rarer and 300s are 9 a penny. Both expensive when new, both worth pocket money secondhand and neither are cheap to run.

Get the one that suits her driving style and needs.

- Fuel consumption is not really important (she only does about 3-4000 miles per year)

- Performance is not really important either. She doesn't use it and if I want performance, I use my car(s)

I am enjoying my "new" car, GS 430. It is very quick and the good thing is the power it has when you want to overtake on the motorway. It is also very silent and have to be sure that the engine has started when you turn the key.

I have satnav( touch screen) on it and Lexus says it is going to cost me 150 pounds to update the nav to 2009 map. Can I get this map anywhere else or I have to go with Lexus? is there also a "live map" where you can subscribe to get live updates for traffic and congestion with the Lexus satnav?

Does the gs430 2001 has a belt or a chain?

I am also planning to get the Bluetooth kit and the ipod kit installed and can anyone give me any advice on where to get it please?

thank you.

To hurl a spanner ...

I can't believe you're asking us to pick your gf's car?! Have you asked her which she'd like and if it suits her needs?

430s rarer and 300s are 9 a penny. Both expensive when new, both worth pocket money secondhand and neither are cheap to run.

Get the one that suits her driving style and needs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links