Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm obviously in a mood for posting.

Since I have had the Jan 95 MKIII, the alarm has never sounded.

I have searched and read the results, but non of the posts actually said "and do this/that".

I believe the system is a Scorpian with the clever bit behind the glovebox, which I have seen, and the siren under the bonnet on the back of the n/s wheel arch.

Everything looks good, wires etc.

The 2 button keyfobs both work correctly and the system arms (2 or 3 flashes of the indicators depending on where the slide on the fob is positioned) and the security light on the facia illuminates. Opening the boot sets the indicators flashing.

There is no knob to turn below the bonnet release, however there is a single black button which makes no difference whether its in or out. (Or is it for something else?).

Yes I do have 2 keys to turn off/on the siren and no, it makes no difference which position is selected, the siren does not sound.

I appreciate from some of the postings I read, that those who's siren goes off at the drop of a hat, might like to swop but I would like to get to the bottom of why mine does not work :question:

Suggestions, as ever, much appreciated.

Steve

Can't help you with the siren... but the black button you mention controls the beeper: If it's latched in, then the car should beep once when you lock it, and twice when you unlock it via the remote control.

I'm obviously in a mood for posting.

Since I have had the Jan 95 MKIII, the alarm has never sounded.

I have searched and read the results, but non of the posts actually said "and do this/that".

I believe the system is a Scorpian with the clever bit behind the glovebox, which I have seen, and the siren under the bonnet on the back of the n/s wheel arch.

Everything looks good, wires etc.

The 2 button keyfobs both work correctly and the system arms (2 or 3 flashes of the indicators depending on where the slide on the fob is positioned) and the security light on the facia illuminates. Opening the boot sets the indicators flashing.

There is no knob to turn below the bonnet release, however there is a single black button which makes no difference whether its in or out. (Or is it for something else?).

Yes I do have 2 keys to turn off/on the siren and no, it makes no difference which position is selected, the siren does not sound.

I appreciate from some of the postings I read, that those who's siren goes off at the drop of a hat, might like to swop but I would like to get to the bottom of why mine does not work :question:

Suggestions, as ever, much appreciated.

Steve

Have you tried applying a voltage directly to the siren to test that it works/

Can't help you with the siren... but the black button you mention controls the beeper: If it's latched in, then the car should beep once when you lock it, and twice when you unlock it via the remote control.

Hi AdeV

I only ever use the remote and irrespective of the position of the button, nothing has ever sounded.

Steve

Have you tried applying a voltage directly to the siren to test that it works/

Hi Ian

No I havent as yet. I was hoping someone knew if there was a specific fuse and/or switch (other than the one on the siren itsself) so that I could check that out first. Whilst there are plenty of posts from folk with sirens that go-off on their own, there has never been any suggestion (that I can find) that says the siren can be turned off by means other than the castlelated barrell key.

Steve

I was lead to beleive that the red button on the fob behaved like a panic alarm, so maybe you could test if this button sets off the siren.

Also, what does the previous owner have to say about it?

The panic button doesn't even break into a nervous sweat.

I bought the car from a chap who was on his last legs; he died within a very short time of my purchase. I actually took the car out on 3 occaisions, but as the remote worked and the security light came on, it never occured to me to ask.

Steve

Right

Having spent forever Googling Scorpian 5000 alarm and getting no where I have come across this from our Landcruiser friends.

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.p...sc&start=15

It appears to indicate that the siren itself contains batteries and the inference is that they may dead hence no noise.

Car looks like an igloo but in to the breach and all that.....

I just noticed that the panic button has apparently stopped working although I recall the alarm working recently.Any ideas on this while we are at it?

Apologies for Hi Jack

No worries.

Check that the alarm is working first. Use remote to lock and arm, then use key to open the boot. If alarm sounds, siren is fine. If not check that the siren is not turned off with the castlelated key. If no joy but fob works door locks/immobiliser then it could be the panic button itself. Take the fob apart and clean it, noting if it appears to be working. Reassemble and try again from various angles/distances.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

By way of closure, I wish to add the following.

As thought, the alarm system functioned in all respects except to provide an audible tone.

Having discovered that the siren contained a Battery pack and that it was defunct, I purchased a new pack. Unfortuneately, the circuit board within the siren housing was past its sell by date. Nevertheless we discovered that it worked but didnt stop working.

Today we fitted a used siren aquired from one of our estwhile members on here.

Result; now have a fully functioning alarm that beeps on setting/unsetting and whails like a banshee when opening boot/door without disarming. Oh and it stops wailing as well.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
By way of closure, I wish to add the following.

As thought, the alarm system functioned in all respects except to provide an audible tone.

Having discovered that the siren contained a battery pack and that it was defunct, I purchased a new pack. Unfortuneately, the circuit board within the siren housing was past its sell by date. Nevertheless we discovered that it worked but didnt stop working.

Today we fitted a used siren aquired from one of our estwhile members on here.

Result; now have a fully functioning alarm that beeps on setting/unsetting and whails like a banshee when opening boot/door without disarming. Oh and it stops wailing as well.

Steve

Mine's exactly the same - arms/disarms by locking/unlocking doors but not a peep ! press red button and indicators flash but no 'alarm' any suggestions ?

Mine's exactly the same - arms/disarms by locking/unlocking doors but not a peep ! press red button and indicators flash but no 'alarm' any suggestions ?

Hi

It will almost definately be the Battery pack in the siren. Before that, just check that its not turned-off use the barrel key.

Assuming its not turned-off, you will need to take the siren apart.

Take it off the bracket that secures it to the wheel arch or bulk head.

Turn it over and remove the 2 screws which hold it together.

Remove the end with the depression - carefully as this is the speaker which should still be soldered to the circuit board.

Undo the plastic nut securing the cabe to the unit and free-off the cable grips.

Being careful, push the cable in to the unit to push the circuit board out. Observe the slots in the unit so that you know how to reassemble.

Look at the Battery pack. Does it look dead/corroded? New one needed. If not, very carefully look at the circuit board to see if its damaged or wires have come unsoldered. These joints are delicate. Take remedial action as necessary.

Assuming its the Battery pack you will need part number 544-0188 from RS Components - Google it- which is a total of 6volts 1Ah which need the wires from the circuit board soldering to it.

Hi

It will almost definately be the Battery pack in the siren. Before that, just check that its not turned-off use the barrel key.

Assuming its not turned-off, you will need to take the siren apart.

Take it off the bracket that secures it to the wheel arch or bulk head.

Turn it over and remove the 2 screws which hold it together.

Remove the end with the depression - carefully as this is the speaker which should still be soldered to the circuit board.

Undo the plastic nut securing the cabe to the unit and free-off the cable grips.

Being careful, push the cable in to the unit to push the circuit board out. Observe the slots in the unit so that you know how to reassemble.

Look at the Battery pack. Does it look dead/corroded? New one needed. If not, very carefully look at the circuit board to see if its damaged or wires have come unsoldered. These joints are delicate. Take remedial action as necessary.

Assuming its the Battery pack you will need part number 544-0188 from RS Components - Google it- which is a total of 6volts 1Ah which need the wires from the circuit board soldering to it.

Hi Steve

Thanks for that but sounds kinda technical and unlike most on these forums, I'm not very technically minded/gifted :( Guess it'll have to be a job when the sun comes out and I get a spare few hours (or in my case - days !)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links