Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Evolution From Is200 To Is250

Hi guys,

I have been the proud owner of an IS200 Sport for 8 years, I had admired the New IS from afar but as I felt I could not afford to change, I never really paid it much attention and I'd never even seen it up close.

In december due to my car needing some new tyres and a bit of other work done I deceided to look at changing to the new IS. Off to Lexus Stockport I went - WOW - it was love at first sight . The car is much, much nicer up close and I felt (IMO) a definate connection / relation to my old IS200, which is EXACTLY what I was after!!!

After a couple of weeks of looking on the Lexus approved used car website and trips to Lexus I traded the IS200 in with Lexus Bradford and got this:

2005 (55) - IS250 SE Multimedia, 59k, LSH, Canterbury Blue w/Sussex grey interior - For £11k (I got £2k trade in for the IS200 (W) w/130k)

There are a few things I want them to sort out now I've had it for a couple of weeks (corroded wheels, creeky dash, paint problem on top of bonnet) but other than those I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! :P

Here are some pics, let me know what you all think!

IMG_0107-1.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Nice IS250 mate.

I have a IS200 myself- as a ex-IS200 owner what differences have you found between the 200 and the 250? More powerful, smoother, more comfortable?

Love to know your thoughts, as I might upgrade to a IS250 or GS300 in the future.

@ Valkirk - Thank you very much!! :)

@ Kam 05 - Thanks mate.

In answer to your question, it's a bit early to give you a full review on the differences yet - but so far, here goes: It is MUCH smoother, it has improved in all areas IMO but it's in the way that it has changed: I feel that it has become a more refined, more comfortable and much more powerful machine. It definitely feels like it has a link to the old IS but with a lot more refined / sophisticated feel. It does not feel as 'rugged' as the old IS (for want of a better word) - this will be to some peoples tastes (like mine - I love the feeling of being in a very expensive feeling / luxurious car) but maybe not to the taste of others who are all about 'feeling the road' (although I think the new one corners much better than MY old IS). Personally I love it!! It is everything I wanted in a new IS. More like a smaller GS.

Hope that helps

I went from an IS200 Sport that I bought new in April 2005, to and IS250 SEL in June last year. When I handed over the keys to my beloved IS200, I felt quite sad. However, I have no regrets what so ever - I really love the IS250. It's smooth as silk, more powerful, and loads of toys and gadgets to play with. Interesting what you said about the IS200 being 'rugged' - I know exactly what you mean. IS250 seems to be a much larger car, but it is definitely less roomy in the back. However, I didn't buy it for that reason, so I have no regrets in changing. When I was looking around at cars, I considered Audi, BMW, Mercedes and even VW, but the way the Lexus Dealerships have looked after me since April 2005 counted for alot and I was never really serious about getting a different make.

Only worry I have now is about DAB radio, but guess that's still a few years off!!

Only worry I have now is about DAB radio, but guess that's still a few years off!!

Isn't DAB broadcast all over the UK? Or do you mean that your car came without DAB? My 2010 IS 250 that I got last week came with DAB, even though I can't use it, since DAB is not used where I live.

Isn't DAB broadcast all over the UK? Or do you mean that your car came without DAB? My 2010 IS 250 that I got last week came with DAB, even though I can't use it, since DAB is not used where I live.

My worry is that I don't have DAB, as my car was registered in Jan 2009 (2009 spec IS250), so have just missed out on DAB.

my first lexus was an IS200 se Auto, and it was a great car, but my 250 se-l is just in a different league i think. the quality of the plastics and finish, the smoothness of the power delivery, the solid feel of everything is just so much better. it still has a real exciting driving experience to me, and i feel the handling is actually better than the 200 if you are thrashing it, but the comfort is also better when you flick it back into normal mode and just want to waft along. the economy is a lot better too. i would reccomend any is 200 driver upgrading to the 250, you won't be disappointed especially if you go for the auto with the paddle shift as you get hte best of both worlds.

but the mpg fairly shocking

Really? I agree it's not BMW levels, but it's still pretty good for a 2.5 V6........

Looks great mate :)

That's what I think Parthiban. Only downside for me is high emissions ( in a green world ).

With regard to consumpion I'm happy, when I think of what this car gives me, pure enjoyment, refinement, comfort and luxury. Downside is I'm having to drive the wifes more and more. She'd never driven an auto, I told her it was a doddle but she wasn't convinced so took her out for a drive. Big mistake, she took to it like the proverbial duck!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!! I have to say I am loving owning my 250 at the moment 'smooth as silk' as Johnny777 put it describes exactly how it feels to me, the power delivery and uptake are also really, really smooth - it is an awesome car IMO and I'm sure other IS200 owners would love it too. :D

With regard to the MPG, I think it is what it is. Like others have said I don't think its bad for a 2.5 V6, it's better than my IS200 and the benefits seriously outweigh the MPG. I would never consider the IMO boring interior of certain German (BMW & AUDI - I like the inside of the Merc C class) cars for better MPG.

Exiled - my other half keeps wanting to drive mine too, she loves it. Thats why she's buying her own :winky:

With regard to the MPG, I think it is what it is. Like others have said I don't think its bad for a 2.5 V6, it's better than my IS200 and the benefits seriously outweigh the MPG. I would never consider the IMO boring interior of certain German (BMW & AUDI - I like the inside of the Merc C class) cars for better MPG.

I thought the MPG of my IS200 was dreadful. In comparison, i'm really pleased with the IS250.......I tend to get 33mpg on rural roads, and I like to put my foot down every now and again. I was lucky to get 25mpg out of the 2.0l IS200. 33mpg might not be great in comparison to 'economical' cars, but if I had wanted 50mpg, I would have bought something smaller!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links