Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

As everyone will know about the Toyota recall, I just saw on the ITV news, a clip about a Lexus in the USA that had the accelerator problem and it crashed killing the occupants. But we haven't heard anything regarding the recall for Lexus in the U.k. Surely Lexus USA and the UK are made from the same factory using same parts ( apart from left and right hand drive). Just like to hear any incident or feedback on this subject. I thought the Toyota recall didn't affect the Lexus range but there are seeds of doults in my mind after watching the news clip.

Hi,

As everyone will know about the Toyota recall, I just saw on the ITV news, a clip about a Lexus in the USA that had the accelerator problem and it crashed killing the occupants. But we haven't heard anything regarding the recall for Lexus in the U.k. Surely Lexus USA and the UK are made from the same factory using same parts ( apart from left and right hand drive). Just like to hear any incident or feedback on this subject. I thought the Toyota recall didn't affect the Lexus range but there are seeds of doults in my mind after watching the news clip.

I saw the channel 4 news and it played the moments of the telephone conversation leading up to the crash that killed this guy and his family in the USA. Apparently his accelerator was stuck. What I can't figure out is if he had time to make a call why could he not ram the car into neutral, stamp on the brakes, switch the ignition off, drive into a field. I know he must have panicked but the last thing I would do if my accelerator was stuck open is phone the cops!

Back on topic. Toyota and Lexus do share common parts. It's a bit worrying but I have never heard of an accelerator pedal sticking open on its own. I've heard of carpets getting stuck under the pedal and this causing problems. On the GS there are carpet hooks though.

Interesting topic this. I wonder if Lexus will be involved.

Why don't you contact Lexus UK and see what they have to say about this? If you do contact Lexus UK, then may I suggest you post their reply on LOC for the benefit of other members.

The car involved in that tragedy is a Lexus ES based on the Camry.

Although no doubt shared components across the board (Toyota/Lexus) the ES is very closely related to a Camry - and since we don't get them here, might be let off. More worryingly though, the RX shares far too much of its running gear etc.with the Camry...so one should be wary?

Not sure, in any event, we must not speculate until we know the full facts...

Hi,

I saw the channel 4 news and it played the moments of the telephone conversation leading up to the crash that killed this guy and his family in the USA. Apparently his accelerator was stuck. What I can't figure out is if he had time to make a call why could he not ram the car into neutral, stamp on the brakes, switch the ignition off, drive into a field. I know he must have panicked but the last thing I would do if my accelerator was stuck open is phone the cops!

Back on topic. Toyota and Lexus do share common parts. It's a bit worrying but I have never heard of an accelerator pedal sticking open on its own. I've heard of carpets getting stuck under the pedal and this causing problems. On the GS there are carpet hooks though.

From what I've heard All the mention does not work once its jammed the brakes hand brskes only slow it down until its burnt out the engin does not cut off, there was another incident can't remeber what make of car it was, luckily he was on a freeway and he drove until he ran out off fuel, lucky guy

Hi Guys

If you go to the UK Lexus website as of this morning there's clearly a message saying that UK Lexus models are NOT affected by the recall.

To check yourself, go to www.lexus.co.uk and follow the links for customer safety questions (on the left hand side menu)

Cheers

Marklex :)

Hi,

From what I've heard All the mention does not work once its jammed the brakes hand brskes only slow it down until its burnt out the engin does not cut off, there was another incident can't remeber what make of car it was, luckily he was on a freeway and he drove until he ran out off fuel, lucky guy

It's interesting this. I want to know what to do 'if' the throttle sticks open. Are there any brave people out there who want to do some testing? For example, can the car be put into neutral at 70 mph? Can the car be switched off? Please don't try these things! However, there must have been testing of some sort that can answer these questions. I know someone within LOC has pressed the stop/start button while on the move 'to prove' that the engine will cut out.

This is very bad for Toyota.

You put in neutral for a manual or an auto, then use the brakes to bring it to a standstill. Then turn the engine off. if you turn the engine off too soon you lose brakes and steering ..................... you should also be able to put your foot under the pedal and lift it back up on some cars, but get the drive away from the wheels and the car slowing first .... then you can think about the dry cleaning bill.

You put in neutral for a manual or an auto, then use the brakes to bring it to a standstill. Then turn the engine off. if you turn the engine off too soon you lose brakes and steering ..................... you should also be able to put your foot under the pedal and lift it back up on some cars, but get the drive away from the wheels and the car slowing first .... then you can think about the dry cleaning bill.

I had the throttle stick on full a few years ago in an Opel. Immediately tramped on clutch, knocked out of gear in to neutral, and braked gently to a stop... engine off as it was screaming. Easy?? yes for me because I am one of the lucky few who are confident when things go wrong. mainly because i know how the car actually works. There are the unlucky lot who although adept at the basic s of driving, have absolutely no idea about the mechanics/workings of their car, and when it goes pear shaped, just plain panic. These poor people can be doomed when the unexpected happens. I hope toyota fixes this before a tradgedy occurs.

It's interesting this. I want to know what to do 'if' the throttle sticks open. Are there any brave people out there who want to do some testing? For example, can the car be put into neutral at 70 mph? Can the car be switched off? Please don't try these things! However, there must have been testing of some sort that can answer these questions. I know someone within LOC has pressed the stop/start button while on the move 'to prove' that the engine will cut out.

This is very bad for Toyota.

From the Toyota website:

29 Jan 2010 by Scott Brownlee

We understand that, whilst the probability is rare, any chance that a pedal may mechanically stick in a partially depressed position is a concern for a driver.

Therefore we have detailed below some advice which you should follow if you do experience a problem whilst driving:

For vehicles with manual transmission, depress the clutch pedal and shift to Neutral and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

For vehicles with automatic transmission, Multi Mode Transmission or CVT: Shift the transmission gear select lever to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping firmly and steadily on the brake pedal. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilised for the power brake assist.

If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.

If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push and hold the button to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.

If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

I would assume that the Lexus stop/start button system is the same one used in their Toyota branded vehicles.

Full link: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/advice-to-custome...or-pedal-issues

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links