Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Anyone Clear Up The Confussion Over When The Cambelt Should Be Cha

John G

Hiya im looking at gettin an is200 and loads of garages have said they are chain, i know this is bull for a fact so each time i have proved them wrong and they have agreed, the next problem i has is they said it says in the servicing manual the belt doesnt need changing till it reaches 100k, although i have heard off other people this was revised and changed to 60k on later is200's?

anyone car to shed any light and if i do need to get it done how much i shud be looking at payin?

Its 60k/6 years (Lexus GB changed it from 100k/6years)

Sorry but that information is incorrect, the interval is still 100000 or 6 years according to the Lexus service schedule and from the email I sent to Lexus GB to check this recently.

Sorry but that information is incorrect, the interval is still 100000 or 6 years according to the Lexus service schedule and from the email I sent to Lexus GB to check this recently.

But there has been a lot of evidence (on here) that suggests that a few timing belts on some IS200's have snapped before hitting the 100k mark. If I got my timing belt changed by you and it snapped before doing 100k would you foot the bill for a engine repair/replacement?

As a Lexus dealer I'd be interested to know your answer.

Have they changed it back then? Or was it never "officially" changed, but dealers were advised to do it at 60k? A bit of clarity on this would be good :)

But there has been a lot of evidence (on here) that suggests that a few timing belts on some IS200's have snapped before hitting the 100k mark. If I got my timing belt changed by you and it snapped before doing 100k would you foot the bill for a engine repair/replacement?

As a Lexus dealer I'd be interested to know your answer.

I would like to know that answer as well but as it has not happened to one our customers I would not be qualified to comment.

As for the service schedule, after reading the various posts on here I emailed Lexus GB for an answer to this as I was concerned that we were misinformed :o , the reply received was a copy of the current service schedule that we have always used with no advisorys or amendments!

I do not wish to cause any controversy over this subject so all I can do is let you know what the current service schedule says and this is what we work to.

Andy

I and many others have agonised over this, and it keeps coming up....I was trying to satisfy myself that I need not touch till 100K (it's a 300) but then I realised the belt was now 8 years old anyway....end of debate...got it done. I reckon we are really lucky to own such a reliable car, if you are keeping it then swallow and get it done....It will soon be a non-debate, as no-one seems to argue that the 6 year recc to change is sensible, and how many of us own post 04 IS200/300 anyway?

If I was buying another 'older' IS I would insist on proof of a belt change, or knock the cost off my offer...and get it done straight away, water pump n'all !!! There are so few real 'issues' with this car (manky wheels,coil packs,geometry,few other bits) if you take care and get a good'un they are worth keeping properly even if money is short IMO.

I have been told 60k or 100k from a Lexus dealer so I think it depends on the individual dealer and maybe how many bad ones they may have seen.

One thing I was told was that the issue with the idler wearing and pushing the belt out (which then causes it to wear away) only affected cars upto a certain date as they changed the part or something from then - think the date was 2003 or something but can't quite remember.

Can anyone else verify this - maybe a dealer??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links