Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tried this on General Forum but no 'traffic' there so trying again here.

Has anyone had experience – good or bad – with the ‘new’ enhanced fuels?

I had used Total Excellium in my last IS220 and found improvement in fuel consumption exceeded the c.4% penalty on cost. However, cost differential has gone up from 4p to 6p per litre, which makes it marginal on economy but does it have other benefits? I still use it though.

Same goes for Texaco Techron, except that experience from the one tank I have used to date suggests there is no benefit on economy (which Texaco don’t claim it will) but a heavy 7p per litre penalty means it needs to give good benefits elsewhere. Does it really do what it says? Would it have any effect on the EGR valve? Does the IS220 need a fuel that cleans the engine?

I can do the maths on economy and cost benefit but can’t be certain on the techie bit. I'm sure some of you out there will have an answer.

Cheers

I started using Shell V-power years ago during visits to Germany.

Filled up with it on way home just before crossing border into Holland.

That was enough to get me home + a bit more.

It wasn't available over here then so used Shell Optimax instead.

Noticed the difference that car didn't feel as happy running on that.

So was pleased when V-Power finally got here and have used it ever since.

TG

The forecourt 95 or 98 RON rating is the measure of anti-knock capability, and depending on the compression ratio of your engine you will not see any performance difference. I've used Tesco 99 RON in my IS250 over a couple of years as it's one of the 'super fuels' that are supposed to increase power, deliver less pollution than regular fuels and help to maintain a cleaner engine. The Tesco unleaded 99 Octane petrol is supplied by Greenergy. I've also used BP Ultimate over a reasonable period, and when that wasn't convenient, Shell V-Power. These fuels are supposed to give more power due to the better additives, like improved detergents, which supposedly keep the injectors cleaner than 'standard' fuel.

BP's Ultimate 102 Unleaded is currently the most advanced, high-performance petrol you can buy on UK forecourts, but you would need to reset your ECU, or run a few tanks through to notice any change at all. It's sold only in stations near to racetracks as it's only intended for performance engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline, so again if you have a near standard production engine you will not see any gains.

From my experience with the 250, using higher octane fuel than the engine requires actually gives no benefit and is a waste of money, so I have reverted to 95 RON (especially after todays 2p hike per litre!). I don't believe any standard production engine requires even 98 RON over 95, and the market for 'super' fuels seems to be based on people's misunderstanding of octane ratings and the placebo effect of filling up with 'more powerful' fuel - making people think their engine is running better in some way.

A few performance cars and motorbikes (mostly German?) can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Apparently cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls can do this (according to the drivers handbook for the 2004 BMW 330 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95).

Thanks Tango and others.

I'm with you in thinking that modern engines shouldn't need 'super fuels', but the marketing blurb is compelling in some ways. With all the talk about the EGR valve on the 220 sooting up, I just wondered whether these fuels would give any benefit to keeping that clean.

The extra cost of Techron (7p per litre) adds about £80 to the cost of fuel per 10,000 miles, which to some may be a small price to pay for the placebo effect of 'better performance'.

My preference is for tangible benefits (like better consumption), which is why I will keep stopping at my local garage to fill up with Excellium. If I need to fill up when near a Shell station, then perhaps I will try the V-Power.

Cheers

Thanks Tango and others.

I'm with you in thinking that modern engines shouldn't need 'super fuels', but the marketing blurb is compelling in some ways. With all the talk about the EGR valve on the 220 sooting up, I just wondered whether these fuels would give any benefit to keeping that clean.

The extra cost of Techron (7p per litre) adds about £80 to the cost of fuel per 10,000 miles, which to some may be a small price to pay for the placebo effect of 'better performance'.

My preference is for tangible benefits (like better consumption), which is why I will keep stopping at my local garage to fill up with Excellium. If I need to fill up when near a Shell station, then perhaps I will try the V-Power.

Cheers

Fifth Gear on the telly did a pretty good evaluation on Super fuels. Bottom line was that if you've got a bog standard little vroomy, then there is little or no benefit in paying outthe extra dosh. However, with the turbo/supercharged cars, the there was an imnprovement not only in power (marginal), but economy. The detergents in the super fule do keep the engine cleaner, and if you are keeping your car for a while, then there is some benefit in using the more expensive stuff. It' s down to choice at he end of the day. For me, I use the super stuff coz it makes me feel better... lol

Colhehe.giflaugh.gifmsn-wink.gif

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links