Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 Key Fob Problems

Hi everyone I'm super confused at the moment and am hoping someone here will be able to help me.

I ordered a new 3 button key fob from Lexus (stupid I now know) for £100 as my one had snapped around the casing. The guy never mentioned anything about needing the old key so i threw it away.

I go back today and pick up the key and he asks for the internals, I reply that as he gave me the broken key back when I ordered and never said anything I had thrown it away after cutting it.

He then says there is no way to make the 3 key fob as I've lost the internals so it's basically just a case of me using the 2fob backup and not having anything else.

I said that this sounds absolutely ridiculous as if someone loses their master key they then have no way of getting a new one....

My car is a Y plate 2001 model

He basically said yeah that's right!!

I'm still trying to get my head round this and was trying my hardest not to lose my temper at the dealership due to women being present.

I now have a 3 key fob and key cut for my car but no innards. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what is my best course of action to get this new master key working.

Thanks in advance

Marky

Lexus can reprogram a new 3 button key without you having your own, but it'll cost you I think £120

a new 3 button key can be programmed using an existing master key, anyone can do that using the guides online

if the Lexus dealer intended using your internals in the new blade that suggests to me they were charging £100 for a blank blade to be cut and nothing else, that seems expensive too

i'd kick off with your dealer for givin crap service and ask them to program your new 3 button key and see if u can get it done free or cheap for goodwill, if not take it to another dealer, they shud be able to do it

take ur v5 and licence as they shouldn't just do a key for someone without checking ownership

Lexus can reprogram a new 3 button key without you having your own, but it'll cost you I think £120

a new 3 button key can be programmed using an existing master key, anyone can do that using the guides online

if the Lexus dealer intended using your internals in the new blade that suggests to me they were charging £100 for a blank blade to be cut and nothing else, that seems expensive too

i'd kick off with your dealer for givin crap service and ask them to program your new 3 button key and see if u can get it done free or cheap for goodwill, if not take it to another dealer, they shud be able to do it

take ur v5 and licence as they shouldn't just do a key for someone without checking ownership

Yeah I had to take that stuff to get the new key ordered, I thought he was mugging me off a bit at the time but didn't want to kick off in front of the 2 girls who were there.

I'm off to Vegas for 3 weeks Sunday so will have to go in there when I get back and speak to them again. I'm gonna phone in the morning and see if I make any headway before I go.

I've basically got a blade with no internals for £100 then ffs

I was in a rush so couldn't stay to argue the point about it being stupid not to be able to program a new key. Basically he's telling me that if you lose your master that's the end of 3 button keys for you..

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rory, I'll post back with results once I've gotten some (I hope)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links