Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New - Should I Buy A Lexus?

SimonT80

Hi all I'm new to this and hoping for some inspiration. I've been driving a Merc S430 for almost a year but it hasn't been all that reliable and is rusting like crazy!! I had a BMW 740 before that which I loved but again it spent a lot of time in the workshop as well. I have been thinking about buying a 2002/2003 Lexus GS430 because of their apparant reputation for reliability but do not know what to do. What do you all think? Is the Lexus a worthy contender to the Merc and BMW? Any advice much appreciated.

Welcome to LOC! Shame you've had reliability problems with your other cars, one thing I know for sure is that with the mk2 GS you won't really have any of those - they really are faultless if you get one that's been well looked after. Unfortunately it seems the newest models aren't as reliable as they used to be (similar to how Mercedes went) but the older ones really will give you no trouble at all.

Whether you like the rest of the car is totally up to you and personal preference - best way is to take one out for a drive and see how it compares :)

You would think you could depend on a Mercedes but I'm not impressed with my S class at all and the dealers are very reluctant to give advice or help unless you bring your cheque book with you. Yes sure it's got all the toys and gadgets but when you turn the key and it doesn't start then they are not much good. Looks like the best thing is to stick to the older Lexus models then? I have been looking at a 2002 Lexus GS430, 60000 miles and full service history. Completely unmarked inside and out. I am getting tempted ha ha!

If you've got an S430 I'm guessing you've got a W220? The Mercs from that era weren't great if reviews were anything to go by, we had a W140 S500 for several years that was replaced in 05 by a CLS and we were/have been lucky enough that both were really reliable.

Yep those older cars were totally reliable, my 2002 IS200 is only now requiring a bit of a repair (with a very unusual problem) for the first time in my 8 years of ownership :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links