Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Copied this from another section.

Hi Guys,

Haven`t been around since getting rid of my GS300 some years ago but am going back to Lexus again.

I read, albeit some older posts, where people were condemming the 220D as a terrible car basically.

I`m looking at a SE-L tomorrow. 2006. 60k miles and was wondering what peoples opinions were nowadays.

Also, is there anything, problemwise, I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

Haven`t been around since getting rid of my GS300 some years ago but am going back to Lexus again.

I read, albeit some older posts, where people were condemming the 220D as a terrible car basically.

I`m looking at a SE-L tomorrow. 2006. 60k miles and was wondering what peoples opinions were nowadays.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate. I'm one of the loyal brand followers of Lexus, so, here is my two-penneth.. I'm getting fed up with those who continually knock the IS220D. Yes there are some small problems, all which are resolvable under warranty if your lucky enough to have one which is still running. I've had the minor problem of squeaky seat, dashboard crack, drivers door rattle and a small clutch problem All have been dealt with in an excellent and trouble free manner by our local Aberdeen Lexus dealer. Fuel consumption in my humble opinion is very good for a car of that size and weight. (40-48mpg and as much as 52mpg on a long motorway run). It is a prestigous car with looks wonderful and has extras that bits and pieces that other so called similar badged models have. I love my 220D as did I my IS200 sport, so, my advice is... forget the continual moans (which are few and far between compared to some other models) and be assured your getting a wonderful machine. ( I do respect others opinions, but just feel there are too many negatives about a car which is really great)....

Col msn-wink.gifmsn-wink.gif

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

I'm getting fed up with those who continually knock the IS220D.

mee too but I rarely have the strenght to reply.

Hi mate. I'm one of the loyal brand followers of Lexus, so, here is my two-penneth.. I'm getting fed up with those who continually knock the IS220D. Yes there are some small problems, all which are resolvable under warranty if your lucky enough to have one which is still running. I've had the minor problem of squeaky seat, dashboard crack, drivers door rattle and a small clutch problem All have been dealt with in an excellent and trouble free manner by our local Aberdeen Lexus dealer. Fuel consumption in my humble opinion is very good for a car of that size and weight. (40-48mpg and as much as 52mpg on a long motorway run). It is a prestigous car with looks wonderful and has extras that bits and pieces that other so called similar badged models have. I love my 220D as did I my IS200 sport, so, my advice is... forget the continual moans (which are few and far between compared to some other models) and be assured your getting a wonderful machine. ( I do respect others opinions, but just feel there are too many negatives about a car which is really great)....

Cheers for that Col.

All new cars have various anomalies like you describe, of various degrees. I`ve only once ever bought a brand new car and had more trouble with that, than any other.

I`d expect though, as a 4 year old car would have these niggles sorted.

I was looking for some advice on any mechanical worries I should be looking for on a 50k mile model. Does anything need to be changed out at around this sort of mileage? (I know my original post says 60k but it`s actually 50k miles)

I`m quite happy to compromise a bit of fuel consumption over luxury. I don`t do excessive miles anyway and also have my Supra for the weekends :D I`ve also to look at an Accord which boasts 60mpg or so but I know which car I`ll be buying if the Lexus is a 'straight' car. I like toys :winky:

smile.giflaugh.gif

Cheers for that Col.

All new cars have various anomalies like you describe, of various degrees. I`ve only once ever bought a brand new car and had more trouble with that, than any other.

I`d expect though, as a 4 year old car would have these niggles sorted.

I was looking for some advice on any mechanical worries I should be looking for on a 50k mile model. Does anything need to be changed out at around this sort of mileage? (I know my original post says 60k but it`s actually 50k miles)

I`m quite happy to compromise a bit of fuel consumption over luxury. I don`t do excessive miles anyway and also have my Supra for the weekends biggrin.gif I`ve also to look at an Accord which boasts 60mpg or so but I know which car I`ll be buying if the Lexus is a 'straight' car. I like toys msn-wink.gif

No prob's mate. I've barely done 30K on my late 2007 220D so don't know much about the bigger milage ones, but one thing to remember is that it's a diesel, and, it'll go for ever if looked after. I used to live in Kinghorn which is a wee spit away from Kirkcaldy... lol

col...msn-wink.gifblink.gifhehe.gifsmile.gif

Glad we've got some happy IS220d owners but there are so many unhappy ones as well. And they have good reason for complaint in most cases. Little niggles like rattles and squeaks can be forgiven, but I've heard so much about engine problems that it's a model I'd personally avoid.

It's a bit too hit and miss as to whether you get a good one or not - but I suppose if the one you drive feels right then it might be one of the lucky ones. However, given most don't even get great fuel economy out of it compared to the IS250 auto, I'd go for the petrol every time :)

if you can afford petrol, there is no reason to buy diesel.

regardin diesel engine - there is ony one common problem - egr valve. This is the cause of high consumption and/or going in the limp mode, loss of power etc.

I don't know whether you have ****ty fuel in GB, or it is because of the driving style (you are pushed to drive too slowly) - but keeping the engine on 1600rpm on 6th doesn't help the situation either.

Anyway, egr needs to be clean, and thats it. Manual how to clean is here, it is not so difficult to do this at home.

Other question is, why only early 2.0tdi have such a problem (they had problem not with egr, but with the cat) and other marques not. I don't know. But many IS owner have new egr valve, and less and less people are coming here with complaints, so I think that it has been solved.

Just been reading about the 5th valve being replaced. Is this a manufacturers fault to be replaced under warranty, even if the official warranty has expired?

I`m getting depressed now reading about the faults. I was soooo looking forward to getting this car but having 2nd thoughts now. Squeaks etc don`t bother me, just mechanical problems.

I`ve only got until tomorrow to make my mind up.

Is there much difference in mpg between the petrol and diesel?

Just been reading about the 5th valve being replaced. Is this a manufacturers fault to be replaced under warranty, even if the official warranty has expired?

I`m getting depressed now reading about the faults. I was soooo looking forward to getting this car but having 2nd thoughts now. Squeaks etc don`t bother me, just mechanical problems.

I`ve only got until tomorrow to make my mind up.

I too was like you mate. I thought I'd bought a bum model in the IS220D, but, I was wrong. I still sing the diesels praises. Like Matus says, if you keep the revs very low in diesels, the EGR valve can get clogged. I'm wasting too much time and energy in defence of the IS220D, so all I'll say it is your choice. There were lots who consoled me on this forum and changed my opinion, so good luck with your decision.

Col... msn-wink.gif

I would say, don't look only on mpg. Look on TCO.

I do not know the prices in GB, so I'll give the difference in Slovak republic

Purchase cost (app -3500 eur for Diesel)

3y loan cost (-140 eur / year for diesel)

insurance cost (app -100 eur/year for diesel)

road tax cost (don't know)

servicing cost 90.000km (-900 eur for diesel)

consumption (-3600 for diesel - calculated diesel 7l/100km at 1.1eur per liter and petrol 9l/100km at 1.3eur per liter, for 90.000kms)

resale cost (here it would be win for petrol to resale for same price as diesel)

So, if you would have the car for 4 years and 90.000kms, the price advantage for diesel is 8820 eur, excluding the road tax (which, if I remember, is quite drastic for IS250 in compare with 220d) - I think the total difference would be close to 9000 euros.

I am not able to calculate the extra luxury provided by IS250. This is up to every owner/deciding person, whether they want to spend the extra money for extra luxury.

I did not want.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

I was in the same boat as you - I had my Is200 for 5 years and loved it. I brought my 220d SE-L MM 2 months ago and love it to bits, I to had reservations after all the negative comments here, but on the up side my expectations were real.

So I took it out for a test drive and loved it! Takes a few days to get used to the gearing, but once you have it pulls like a dream (I don't really bother with 6th day to day and to be honest you don't need it)

I brought from an independent its 2006 and done 65k but I made sure it had a full Lexus History and before parting with my cash I called a dealer to ensure all the recall work had been done.

The fuel consumption is not fantastic (way better than my IS200 and the Tax bill is less) - however I knew this beforehand and if MPG was my aim I would have brought a boring Audi or BMW

As I said I love it to bits and don't regret my decision

Cheers

Jon.

Hi

I bought last week a 220d SE 65K FLSH and all recall work done . Up till now I have driven it 500miles and love it. I am gettin 32-38 mpg and as the 5th injector has been done, I am going to get the egr valve cleaned. Any way as most people said in favour, mpg can be bad but othereise its a great car.

I'm not sure you even get a receipt for recall work? I can't even remember getting a receipt before for work done under warranty. It'll be on the system though when they type the reg or VIN in as to whether it's had the recalls done or not.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

The 220D is not a bad car, but there are better diesels from manufacturers who have pursued diesels further - Lexus appear to have given up. It attracts negative comments and technical niggles like no other Lexus. Perhaps this is because of comparisons to their superb petrol cars - particularly those with auto transmission. So maybe an auto diesel would have been a good idea - masking the inherent limited rev range etc; but is impossible with current Lexus auto boxes which are closely integrated with engine management and require reasonably speedy response from the power unit which diesels cannot deliver. Lexus show no sign of developing an auto box just for diesels. All in all, the 220d is damned by faint praise, and in a poll to decide Lexus's best car is going to come at the bottom.

I'm not sure you even get a receipt for recall work? I can't even remember getting a receipt before for work done under warranty. It'll be on the system though when they type the reg or VIN in as to whether it's had the recalls done or not.

No receipt as Parthiban says, Bona Fide Lexus dealers hold all car servicing, repair and warranty details on their system. You do however get receipts for service and paid work.

Col.. msn-wink.gif

Hi Guys,

I read, albeit some older posts, where people were condemning the 220D as a terrible car basically.

Also, is there anything, problem-wise, I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance.

The 220D is not a bad car, but there are better diesels from manufacturers who have pursued diesels further - Lexus appear to have given up. It attracts negative comments and technical niggles like no other Lexus. Perhaps this is because of comparisons to their superb petrol cars - particularly those with auto transmission. So maybe an auto diesel would have been a good idea - masking the inherent limited rev range etc; but is impossible with current Lexus auto boxes which are closely integrated with engine management and require reasonably speedy response from the power unit which diesels cannot deliver. Lexus show no sign of developing an auto box just for diesels. All in all, the 220d is damned by faint praise, and in a poll to decide Lexus's best car is going to come at the bottom.

Yet again, another uneccessary Knock on the 220D. Lexus Diesel is an advanced engine, granted, maybe not quite as good as Beamers or Mercs. To put you remind at rest, Lexus have NO immediate plans to stop the manufacture or sale of the current IS-220D range. Lexus have sold a great amount of these models, and having friends who own one, they are of the same mindset as the facts indicate. " A great car with some niggles". Lexus are fully aware of these niggles, and have fixes for all. I do know that where Lexus future lies is in "hybrids" hence the launch of the CT200h in October this year. Shooting from the hip all the time at the IS200D doesn't help people in deciding whether to buy or not to buy. I have become quite friendly with our local Lexus dealership over the years, and, they are quite candid about choice. If you want petrol, then buy petrol, if you want diesel, buy diesel. Once again, there are a lot worse cars you could consider buying.

Col... msn-wink.gif

Hi Guys,

I read, albeit some older posts, where people were condemning the 220D as a terrible car basically.

Also, is there anything, problem-wise, I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance.

Yet again, another uneccessary Knock on the 220D. Lexus Diesel is an advanced engine, granted, maybe not quite as good as Beamers or Mercs. To put you remind at rest, Lexus have NO immediate plans to stop the manufacture or sale of the current IS-220D range. Lexus have sold a great amount of these models, and having friends who own one, they are of the same mindset as the facts indicate. " A great car with some niggles". Lexus are fully aware of these niggles, and have fixes for all. I do know that where Lexus future lies is in "hybrids" hence the launch of the CT200h in October this year. Shooting from the hip all the time at the IS200D doesn't help people in deciding whether to buy or not to buy. I have become quite friendly with our local Lexus dealership over the years, and, they are quite candid about choice. If you want petrol, then buy petrol, if you want diesel, buy diesel. Once again, there are a lot worse cars you could consider buying.

Col... msn-wink.gif

I am sure Lexus will continue to support the IS220D, its engine is quite advanced and it has sold well. As I said, it is not a bad car, and if you want one - go for it. Neverthless, within the Lexus range it is worth considering if there is a worthwhile advantage to "a great car with some niggles" over "a great car without any niggles" which fits the 250 Auto. Lexus's future as stated seems to lie with hybrids, and again current technology is unsuited to diesels in these. Can you imagine silently pulling off in a hybrid and demand making a diesel grudgingly clatter into life?

When the recall work is done, is it stamped in the service book, or would it just be a receipt?

hi

Mine was a compnay car (Lexus Finance) so came with all service/repair sheet. Gave a call to Lexus Woodford (the dealers that worked on it) and confirmed the service record and recall work with them.

Some interesting things done to the car

AC repair £1500

alloys changed £1300

All tyres changed £600

Seat rattle (£0 under warranty)

So i am wondering why all those other replairs were not done under warranty ?

I am just hoping my next bill is not as big as these :)

Thanks for all the replies peeps.

I went to see the car yesterday and it really does have all the toys. DVD screens in the back with a Playstation included. Ex Lex demo plus one owner. I drove the car for 15 minutes and it didn`t feel sluggush or anything. Nothing special either I might add. Absolutely cannot fault the luxury side though. Just looks the mutts marraccas.

The dealer actually called Lexus and asked about any outstanding recalls or warranted work carried out but they wouldn`t tell him as he`s not the owner?????? Hmmmmmm. All they said was something about a rubber mat. Hmmmmm even stranger :ohmy:

Have to see a 2008 Accord this morning them will make my mind up after that.

P.S. Here`s the car http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA13580&Style=6&Id=AETV15797032&feature=active_sharing

nice car... i suspect youll go the lex way.. :whistling:

I feel you may be right brother :whistling: :D

Am still kakking myself about the EGV potential problem though.

Can anyone confirm if this would be fixed by Lexus even though the warranty has expired.

rubber mat - that was a recall, because the rubber mat was moving under the pedals and it might cause the accelerator to stuck

Can anyone confirm if this would be fixed by Lexus even though the warranty has expired.

I don't think so. All TSBs I've seen were applicable only on cars under warranty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links