Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealer Servicing Under Warranty Alteantives?

I am due a 2nd year (20K) service on my IS250. Dealer quoted £325. Can I or dare I have it serviced outide Lexus authorised dealers? Seesm steep to me. Waht extyra will they do over a first year service to justify the money?

Technically as long as OEM parts are used then it won't void the warranty but I'm not sure if I'd take the risk.

Try ringing a few different dealers, servicing prices can vary wildly.

Also get a quote from a Toyota dealer. Their hourly rates are lower and as Lexus parts are made by Toyota there shouldn't be a problem. I have heard of a dealership which was both Lexus and Toyota. The hourly rate was determined by which side of the house your booked in your car. Same "technicians" and workshop. Possibly a bit more secure than going to a complete independent.

I am due a 2nd year (20K) service on my IS250. Dealer quoted £325. Can I or dare I have it serviced outide Lexus authorised dealers? Seesm steep to me. Waht extyra will they do over a first year service to justify the money?

It is steep, and a 20k service really doesn't involve very much - but dealers need to charge like this to cover overheads, pay decent wages for good mechanics etc., or they just go out of business and their accumulated experience would not then be available to cope with serious or more obscure problems. Nevertheless, they also need to remain competitive, so shop around and expect things like courtesy cars and convenience as part of a premium service at a high cost.

I can understand how does it feel. I don't think that I will service my car in its 20K in a place other than a dealer, 120K service may be an independent workshop :whistling: But as mentioned above shop around other Lexus dealers.

My friend is a mechanic and i started using him after my car was 3yrs old and out of warrenty. He did mention to me my warrenty would still be valid if I used him for the services before as long as lexus parts was used. I think is one of them EU laws that stops a company having the monoply, like the case microsft and window. So as long as you got prove that Lexus parts were used and all correct service and check were done to Lexus standards your warrenty should still be valid. The problem will be if you are using a independent garage, you are trusting him to use lexus parts and to carry out all the checks without cutting corners. So if you got a good garage and use lexus parts then the warrenty should still be valid.

Another important feature is "goodwill". Some manufacturers will contribute something to the cost of an out of time claim, but only if there is a solid service history, presumably manufacturer's. Some will contribute something up to 5 years, on a sliding scale. There is therefore a case for having the 4th year service done by Lexus, but not the 5th.

I have also just been phoned by Lexus (Edinburgh) regarding my 20K service but they are quoting me £440 for my service. Which seems a lot more than your quote.

Opps just realised you have a Petrol rather than Diesel Lexus

But it still seems very dear

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links