Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I've had a 2005 (2006 model) GS430 for about a month now, and 3000 miles racked up already - mainly a Scotland holiday. I miss my previous Soarers but the GS is a great car.

I've a few questions I hope you will help me with, I have trawled back on here a but but not found anything much on these:

Mark Levinson sound system - yes it has the ML amp, and ML written on the head unit - but I really don't like the sound of it. Sure, it's very clear and can go loud, but I find the sound harsh and boomy at higher levels and there is little you can do to tame it. The timbre is wrong, for me anyway. Also there seems to be some of the bass frequencies lacking although there is deep boomy bass. Am I alone on this, or has anyone made improvements - what can be done? Is it the amp or speakers? Maybe an equaliser is all I need?

DAB - can the DAB unit for late models be incorporated? If not, what have you guys done - I would rather integrate it in preference to a Pure highway or similar.

Ipod/stick input - again recommendations here would be great. Has anyone experience of the 'drive and view' conversion on a GS? Are there alternatives to this as I've heard some stories....?

Phone cradle - I have a cradle base unit in the arm rest and need to get a cradle to fit my phone. The Lexus garage say it's Lexus fit, but it's the spitting image of a Bury base. Did Bury supply Lexus I wonder, and is a phone cradle from Bury going to work on the Lexus system? Any idea what a Lexus cradle will cost? (I forgot to ask the garage)

I've tried out the ML system before and think it's brilliant, either there's something wrong with yours or you have a particularly taste in sound that its not producing :P

Seriously though think you should probably try it against another GS430 at a dealer or something and see if it sounds the same.

I think the Vaistech ipod integration is recommended on the GS but hopefully one of the other owners will confirm.

Not sure about the phone cradle, but doesn't the GS have a power socket in the armrest? Might be cheaper to just get a charger and then use the Bluetooth for the rest.

As for the tyres, you could try swapping to Michelins for less noise.

Thanks for the input. I've an ear for proper HiFi even though my high frequency hearing is down a bit. I would put it down to my ears if it sounded dull, but quite the reverse.

You're right of course, I need to compare with others first.

The phone base has an aerial built in as well, that's one reason I want to get the cradle.

Michelins - any particular type?

Pirelli P Zero Rosso non-directional is one I've got my eye on for next time.

Not a wide choice, needing 97Y Li.

Sure, only reason I asked is that I'm not a crazy audiophile, but I do like and can identify good sound. The ML system isn't one to give you thumping bass (in fact my only complaint is that I feel it doesn't have quite enough bass) but it offers fantastic clarity and tonal range. Given your experience I'd assume there must be a fault, but a side by side comparison is probably the best first step.

As for tyres, I've heard good things about the Pilot Sport PS2s and also the newer PS3s. We have Dunlop SP Sport 01s on our Merc which are also great and I've heard the SP Sport Maxx are also pretty good as well. Lexus cars in generally have a road noise problem as far as I'm concerned, but different tyres can help the problem, the OEM fit Bridgestones are awful if you ask me.

I now know there's nothing wrong with my ML system, compared with another.

You're right about the bass. There isn't enough weight and control - that's what's wrong. I'm pretty sure there are some frequency dips as well. I think I'll investigate a decent bass amp to take a low pass feed and drive the sub(s) directly.

The volume is plenty, just needs the grip of a bigger amp.

Anyone else worked along these lines?

Have you tried moving the fader control towards the rear? I too was a little dishapointed with the bass depth untl I stumbled on this. I now have mine set at halfway into the rear segment and only need the Bass control set at half way to get a nice full sound.

Thanks, yes I'm already faded 60% towards the rear, it is a little cleaner bass sound, but still well off being under proper control.

Such a shame, as the mid-high is so clean if a little shouty.

I'm going to talk to a couple of high end ICE outfits, see what they suggest.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links