Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Like most older cars the front seat belts don't retract fully on the old girl. After her bath time, I got round to doing something I've been threatening to do for a while; I tried a possible solution and it worked! :D

Pulled out the belt and sprayed it and the clasp and mouting with silicon spray. Marvelous. Job done.

Can you be a bit more specific Steve?

Mine are quite "tired". The Mrs seems always to twist the belt when she unplugs and already the metal tongue has pierced the leather panel of the passenger door, as it is left dangling as she slams the door closed!

Did you simply pull the webbing out all the way and actually silicon spray the webbing? Both sides?

Can you be a bit more specific Steve?

Mine are quite "tired". The Mrs seems always to twist the belt when she unplugs and already the metal tongue has pierced the leather panel of the passenger door, as it is left dangling as she slams the door closed!

Did you simply pull the webbing out all the way and actually silicon spray the webbing? Both sides?

Hi

Yes, and the clasp fitting (plastic part) which the belt slides through. Basically the silicon reduces the surface friction which takes the strain off the tired retraction spring. Incidentally this isn't a Lexus fault - they all have this problem from usage.

Your wife isn't unique; anyone in a rush just throws the belt off without thinking. I don't know if the silicon is going to let the belt retract when its twisted. I think you will have to have words! The only permanent cure would be to fit brand new belts, or let the wife sit in the back and make use of the fairly mint belts.

Silicone spray will look great on the missus' best coat! It will also attract shed loads of dust and muck to leave somewhere else like on her coat. I may be wrong.......

Love it. Just the opposite but tell her that and she will want to sit in the back:sorted.

Hi

Like most older cars the front seat belts don't retract fully on the old girl. After her bath time, I got round to doing something I've been threatening to do for a while; I tried a possible solution and it worked! :D

Pulled out the belt and sprayed it and the clasp and mouting with silicon spray. Marvelous. Job done.

Great tip now where is that can of silicone spray.

Hi

Great tip now where is that can of silicone spray.

I cannot be certain that my trouble & strife will welcome silicon spray on her clothing.

I cannot be certain that my trouble & strife will welcome silicon spray on her clothing.

Spray the sealt belt, not the wife!

One of the uses of silicon spray in industry - and I have used it for this purpose - is to make working with fabric easier. So her best frock may have already been exposed to the stuff.

Can you prove it doesn't migrate or collect muck? It sounds like a great idea if it is sound.

Do you mean the tent proofing stuff?

Its the stuff you use to keep tents, motorcycle/winter sports clothing waterproof.

I expect scotchguard for cloth couches is much the same type of stuff.

No I dont mean that stuff.

Its purely a lubricant designed for use on fabric. Its incredibly slippy, clear, odourless, not sticky and it doesn't attract muck. The only time I would use it near a tent is to spray the table and sewing machine if I was going to repair a tent. I wouldn't spray the tent unless I wanted it to b have frictionless properties and as a seasoned camper, I cannot think why I could want such a thing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links