Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anti Glare Bulb Orientation?

Story is I just bought a dipped beam 35W HID kit from HIDS4U, with their super duper anti glare bulbs. I was under the impression that the bit the bulb blocked out should either be at the top or bottom of the bulb? Depending on how many times the light is reflected before it leaves the lens. But because they only go in one position due to a little tab in the housing they are blocking out light from the sides, so im getting a wierd trapezoidal shaped light on the road because its blocking the part of the light that normally illuminates the edges. Any suggestions? Can anyone else whose got these fitted tell me which way theirs are orientated? Can i rotate the bulb inside the holder?

apologies for repeating this topic, I just found a thread from february stating the same problem so ignore this one. I'm just gunna get some standard bulbs to replace the crappy anti glare ones because to be honest, it shouldnt make any difference to oncoming drivers if it isnt blocking upwards light anyway... Plus the concentrated area of light in the middle keeps drawing my gaze because it stands out. I'll let you know how the standard bulbs affect the light pattern.

It was probably my post you were referring to, unfortunately I've still not had time to take the lights out and see if I can force the bulb to turn around.

It's light downwards that you want to block as that's what creates glare. However on my car the bulbs are only at a slight angle so I still get a much better result than if I had normal bulbs.........

I think it was actually now you mention it. Strange, because mine are mounted almost exactly 90 degress from where they should be. So if yours arent that far out perhaps the bit it fixes into can be rotated? I was looking at the three screws that attach the ring with the slots in...wondering if i loosened them I might be able to swivel it round a bit, or are they for adjusting the beam? I guess they didnt need to build in the ability to adjust the orientation of the bulbs as the ones its designed for are the same whatever way you put them in.

Haven't actually had a look yet myself, but someone else did and it doesn't seem like it can just be swivelled.

However what I'm hoping to do is to see if I can drill some new holes so I can rotate that mount and screw it in at the right angle - that's interesting though that yours are 90 degrees out, mine are perhaps 15-20 degrees out which is why they're still working fine.

Yours must currently look quite weird then as you must have a vertical cutoff? :blink:

Well assuming that plastic ring with the slots just comes off with those 3 screws, it wouldnt be too hard to work out where to drill new holes to remount it in the correct position.

Just a bit annoyed that HIDS4U didn't say anything after asking for the Make, Model and Year of the car both at the product selection stage, and then also getting me to write it on the order form so they can check its the correct one.

I didnt bother to check how high the beam was because they looked pretty low anyway. But as far as the light pattern on the road, it looks sort like this... :blink:

And yes it is symetrical as the picture shows, because the blanking bits on the bulb are blocking the light that would normally give you the extra vision on the passenger side.

LightPattern.jpg

Well assuming that plastic ring with the slots just comes off with those 3 screws, it wouldnt be too hard to work out where to drill new holes to remount it in the correct position.

Just a bit annoyed that HIDS4U didn't say anything after asking for the Make, Model and Year of the car both at the product selection stage, and then also getting me to write it on the order form so they can check its the correct one.

I'm hoping it's that easy - yep HIDs4U were a bit surprised when I told them that the bulb didn't sit straight but clearly haven't taken it on board to tell new customers. They told me the blanked section should be at the bottom, essentially the wire out of the bulb should be pointing downwards I think.

At the moment mine looks like this - as you can see it's pretty good, but if I can adjust it it'll give me the perfect horizontal cut off I was after :)

DSC_1583.JPG

On closer inspection I think we're fighting a losing battle trying to adjust that black location ring, because it would still have to line up with the 3 slots in the metal housing behind it, which cant be moved.

I did however on fitting the non anti-glare bulbs today notice that these new ones only screw in a very small amount compared to the 1/4 turn I got from the anti-glare bulbs.

And what I've realised is that while the o-ring on the anti-glare bulbs was perfectly central on the bulb holder. On the new ones its slightly off centre, only by about 0.5mm (probably a dodgey mould on that batch), but its enough to mean it wont screw in as far, meaning its more vertical (how it should be for the anti-glare). Sooo..I'm guessing if you purposely put on a slightly thicker o-ring. It would stop it screwing in as far, and maybe give you that extra 15-20 degrees you need to acheive your perfect cut off. Just an idea. Other than that I wouldn't know what to suggest. :duh:

Cheers for that, if I ever get time to do it I'll take a look and see whether anything can be done :)

I have ordered cheap HID replacement bulbs for $13 with shipping from China. I have the same problem as you with these so-called "anti-glare" bulbs :) Will see, what difference do simple bulbs make to the glare and light produces to the sides. Hopefully I will be able to post some photos.

I used to have normal bulbs before I got the anti-glare ones and the glare isn't too bad so you won't have any problems. However I'm still happier with the anti-glare than without, although it seems I've been luckier with the way the bulbs sit in the housing :)

i second what parthiban said, even without anti-glare bulbs you wont get a lot of glare as long as you dont have your lights set too high to begin with. but obviously this problem is affecting some more than others so i guess it depends on how far in your particular bulb/housing setup will allow them to screw in.

as far as my situation goes, ive now fitted the standard bulbs and im pretty happy with them, got my lights on the highest setting and not been flashed once.

HIDS4U said they will refund me the cost of a set of anti-glare bulbs, which i will be returning to them, and also the postage on the original order. but NOT the postage from when i ordered the normal bulbs...so dont go getting the new ones super expensive delivery if you do go down this route.

they also said they had no record of anyone mentioning this problem before, so i pointed them in the direction of the posts on LOC stating they had been contacted in the past. so hopefully they will pull their finger out and do something about it now.

they also said they had no record of anyone mentioning this problem before, so i pointed them in the direction of the posts on LOC stating they had been contacted in the past. so hopefully they will pull their finger out and do something about it now.

That's interesting, I was emailed by two people while I was asking about this, Kim and Pete - seems odd both of them would have no recollection of this :whistling:

"We are not aware of any problems in the past with these bulbs and would really appreciate a link to the forum that states that others have contacted us about this very problem so we can look into this matter."

:tsktsk: It's a cover-up! :tsktsk:

I'll keep you guys posted when/if they come back with any sort of response.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links