Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm new to the forum so bare with me, has anyone out there run their 220 on biodiesel? or is there any reason why we can't? Biodiesel is the same as normal diesel other than it has big cleaning powers and will clean the fuel system, which is good but will clog the fuel filter until the system is clean, a fuel filter change and you will never need to change again !!!! however it can corrode rubber seals, does anyone know of any other negatives or reasons why I shouldn't use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is normal practice but Morrissons diesel contains a percentage of biodiesel, I cant remember the actual figure but it is stated on the pump,also not sure if it does damage rubber seals I thought that was an ethanol/methanol problem.

A few years ago I ran an old Nissan Sunny van on a 50/50 mix of DERV and fresh cooking oil (before the price of cooking oil shot up),it smelt like a chip shop but always ran OK.

If anyone is interested I have lots of articles on this subject from motoring magazines and would be happy to send photocopies on request.

in EU every petrol/diesel contains part of bioproduct - according to EU law in diesel max 7%.

It damages the rubber parts, clogs the system, rises the consumption...it has no positives.

Dear me Matus, anti green or what, you must own a fuel station or something, agreed about the planting of food but what about the recycling of waste veg oil that would otherwise be wasted into the land fills? Biodiesel has detergent properties so should actually clean your system and not clog the injectors. Bio does indeed rot rubber seals but this generally is on older vehicles, more up to date vehicles should be equipped to deal with this problem using more robust components. The only down side I know is that it cleans your system so much that your fuel filter will clog and once you have changed it, it will never need changing again. I too got in touch with Lexus on this subject and they confirm that due to BS EN bla bla bla, they only recomend using top grade diesel and when I asked is there any reason why I shouldn't use it they kept re-iterating this point so didn't get a straight answer, surprise. Speaking to other users of biodeisel who have asked their respective dealers also get the same reaction, they seeem worried that the oil companies will tern against them, or they are being paid not to promote it. In all other cases where folk have ignored the recommendations there has been no adverse problems in vehicles that I know about, hopefully someone will know better and can advise. One more thought, Morrisons is supplying biodiesl as an alternative at quite a number of their stations around the country now.

Dear me Matus, anti green or what, you must own a fuel station or something

nope, but I wish :)

, agreed about the planting of food but what about the recycling of waste veg oil that would otherwise be wasted into the land fills?

you can use it for house heating.

Biodiesel has detergent properties so should actually clean your system and not clog the injectors. Bio does indeed rot rubber seals but this generally is on older vehicles, more up to date vehicles should be equipped to deal with this problem using more robust components.

in general the quality of cars is decreasing, and I doubt that now are used more robust components. I believe in opposite and the reality confirms it. Old cars have no problems even with used oil from mcdonalds...

The only down side I know is that it cleans your system so much that your fuel filter will clog and once you have changed it, it will never need changing again. I too got in touch with Lexus on this subject and they confirm that due to BS EN bla bla bla, they only recomend using top grade diesel and when I asked is there any reason why I shouldn't use it they kept re-iterating this point so didn't get a straight answer, surprise. Speaking to other users of biodeisel who have asked their respective dealers also get the same reaction,

they seeem worried that the oil companies will tern against them, or they are being paid not to promote it.

so you think that manufacturers are worried to reccomend biodiesel because of oil companies? :)

And they are not worried to constantly work on decreasing the consuption with more efficient engines, aerodynamics, downsizing, start-stop systems, hybrids, energy tires...?

I think that car manufacturers do not test their wehicles on biodiesel, furthemore the quality of biodiesel may by varying and the sensitivity on fuel quality of new turbodiesel engines is fact, it is the reality, not just words from somebody.

I am not surprised that car manufacturers do not reccomend it.

I am surprised that you have bought car for 40 grand and now you want to save every penny with high risk. Even with high quality diesel has IS220d quite lof of problems with reliability, with price tags of new parts: EGR app 350 eur, turbo 2500 eur, DNPR 2000 eur, injector I guess about 400 eur.

If you want to drive economically, buy old jetta 1.9d or something similar and you will have no troubles with veg oil...

Dear me Matus, anti green or what, you must own a fuel station or something

nope, but I wish :)

, agreed about the planting of food but what about the recycling of waste veg oil that would otherwise be wasted into the land fills?

you can use it for house heating.

Not necessarily some boilers are not compatible so anyone thinking of doing so check with manufacturers.

Biodiesel has detergent properties so should actually clean your system and not clog the injectors. Bio does indeed rot rubber seals but this generally is on older vehicles, more up to date vehicles should be equipped to deal with this problem using more robust components.

in general the quality of cars is decreasing, and I doubt that now are used more robust components. I believe in opposite and the reality confirms it. Old cars have no problems even with used oil from mcdonalds...

Again not in all cases, I was speaking in terms of the seals that are of a different composition these days to take more high octane fuels so won't perish like rubber.

The only down side I know is that it cleans your system so much that your fuel filter will clog and once you have changed it, it will never need changing again. I too got in touch with Lexus on this subject and they confirm that due to BS EN bla bla bla, they only recomend using top grade diesel and when I asked is there any reason why I shouldn't use it they kept re-iterating this point so didn't get a straight answer, surprise. Speaking to other users of biodeisel who have asked their respective dealers also get the same reaction,

they seeem worried that the oil companies will tern against them, or they are being paid not to promote it.

so you think that manufacturers are worried to reccomend biodiesel because of oil companies? :)

And they are not worried to constantly work on decreasing the consuption with more efficient engines, aerodynamics, downsizing, start-stop systems, hybrids, energy tires...?

Only because they feel it is politically correct with the eyes of the world on them as the biggest polluter, and because they know that with fuel prices as they are they need a new edge, that's how it is.

I think that car manufacturers do not test their wehicles on biodiesel, furthemore the quality of biodiesel may by varying and the sensitivity on fuel quality of new turbodiesel engines is fact, it is the reality, not just words from somebody.

I am not surprised that car manufacturers do not reccomend it.

Nail on the head, it is because there are people who make there own and isn't controlled and they are worried about the warranty claims.

I am surprised that you have bought car for 40 grand

more like 15 grand

and now you want to save every penny with high risk. Even with high quality diesel has IS220d quite lof of problems with reliability, with price tags of new parts: EGR app 350 eur, turbo 2500 eur, DNPR 2000 eur, injector I guess about 400 eur.

The proof is that if it runs on diesel it will run on biodiesel, we just need to make sure it is good biodiesel, and in trms of economics I can fill my Lexus up for £20 rather than 60 plus and that's not going to have any effect on EGR's or DNPR's or turbos etc.

If you want to drive economically, buy old jetta 1.9d or something similar and you will have no troubles with veg oil...

No thanks :lol:

i would be very interested if you could point me in the right direction as to where you could fill up for £20.i suspect that you are talking about making your own bio diesel.if that is the case an initial investment of thousands is required.you would be better off putting more overtime into your regular employment imho.

The Answer is i would not no, i used its in a 1997 pug 307 and a 2000 LDV and its knackered both of them, its not worth it at all. and they are basic engines not a modern diesel like the is220 !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links