Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Leak...but Not From Usual Place

Hi all

I want to buy an LS400. I have found a 1995 LS400 MK3 with 226,000 miles and FSH. I am going to view the car in 3 days' time. I have been made aware of several faults e.g. heated seats are not heating etc. But there is one fault that I am confused by:

The seller told me on the phone today that there is a power steering fluid leak. I have been through the forum and have found lots of information on this problem, but apparently this particular car is leaking fluid from near the radiator. I am told there is a metal pipe going across near the radiator, which the seller reckons is to cool the fluid. The metal pipe connects to rubber hoses. It would seem that fluid is being lost from the junction between the hose and the pipe -- well that's according to the seller. I haven't seen the car yet.

So I was wondering if this makes sense to anyone. And if what I have been told is true, is it likely to cause any problems if it really is leaking from this location? I have no idea how tricky it would be to fix this problem. Of course, the seller could be mistaken...

BTW I'm kind of new to the forum. Well, I have been a member since 2004, when I was considering buying an LS400. However I bought a 1997 BMW 328i convertible instead!! Kept that car for 4 years. Then bought a 1998 Ford Scorpio 2.9 Cosworth Ultima, which I've had for the last two years. Now I'm selling it and I'm going to buy a cheap, old LS400.

Cheers for any insight anyone can offer!

Mark

Hi all

I want to buy an LS400. I have found a 1995 LS400 MK3 with 226,000 miles and FSH. I am going to view the car in 3 days' time. I have been made aware of several faults e.g. heated seats are not heating etc. But there is one fault that I am confused by:

The seller told me on the phone today that there is a power steering fluid leak. I have been through the forum and have found lots of information on this problem, but apparently this particular car is leaking fluid from near the radiator. I am told there is a metal pipe going across near the radiator, which the seller reckons is to cool the fluid. The metal pipe connects to rubber hoses. It would seem that fluid is being lost from the junction between the hose and the pipe -- well that's according to the seller. I haven't seen the car yet.

So I was wondering if this makes sense to anyone. And if what I have been told is true, is it likely to cause any problems if it really is leaking from this location? I have no idea how tricky it would be to fix this problem. Of course, the seller could be mistaken...

BTW I'm kind of new to the forum. Well, I have been a member since 2004, when I was considering buying an LS400. However I bought a 1997 BMW 328i convertible instead!! Kept that car for 4 years. Then bought a 1998 Ford Scorpio 2.9 Cosworth Ultima, which I've had for the last two years. Now I'm selling it and I'm going to buy a cheap, old LS400.

Cheers for any insight anyone can offer!

Mark

Hi the seller is correct there is a pipe for the power sreering in front of the rad I replaced mine as it was rusty. a mate of mine replaced his with a piece of copper plumbing tube bent to the correct shape not a big deal, get an used one from benfur on this forum for a few quid takes about 10 mins to fit.

That does make sense. The GS also has the same cooler loop going in front of the radiator. Not hard to fix, but depending how you want to fix it, it can be expensive. The pipe is a couple of hundred quid from Lexus, but you can repair using high pressure hose instead. There is a topic in the GS forum somewhere about it.

Its a really easy fix. Use plumbers Micro Bore copper pipe. cannot remember if you need 10mm or 8mm but i think it is 10mm.

Take the old rusty steel one off: only a couple of bolts holding the clamp and a couple of jubilee clips.

bend the Micro Bore to roughly he same shape as the old one and push it into the rubber pipes.

Clamp it up and bobs your uncle.

Top up the reservior because it will be empty after the repair and give it plenty of time to run through pump and pipes. When i did mine i momenterally turned the engine over to help the fluid get round.

Couldnt be easier. 20 minutes tops from start to finish. Filling up the system takes longer than fitting the new pipe.

If i were you id make one and fit it before driving the car home. It doesnt need to be identical to the original. Cut a piece of pipe about 40" long and put a 4" Dia bend in the middle so the 2 ends end up parallel and 4" apart: a bit like a double barrelled shot gun.

If the old pipe gives up big time on he way home the pump will run dry very quickly and whine its head off for ever more afterwards. Mine gave up while i was on the my drive so only ran dry for a few seconds. But it still whines now.

Good luck mate. Buy a Lexus LS. You wont regret it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links