Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Contacted Lexus UK today about the brake recall for my Lexus 300 RX. As you might have seen on this forum, I am half way through an LPG conversion on the vehicle. When I heard the news about the brake recall, I relayed it to the firm that is carrying out the conversion. They advised that it be best not to undertake any under bonnet work as this might make it difficult for Lexus to correct any problems re the recall... lpg parts in the way etc.

So I spent an hour on the phone to the customer services dept of Lexus UK in an effort to try and find out when recalling was likely to start. Seems it's not going to be in the next week or so but possibly early next year.

I then explained my reasons for asking and pointing out that I could ill afford to run the car on UK petrol prices, hence my investment of £1,200 on an LPG kit which I will soon recoup with the above average mileage I am to undertake over the next 3 years.

I told them that if the kit was completed now, the firm fitting it would charge me to remove and replace it when the vehicle was called in by Lexus. They all so pointed out that if Lexus damaged any of the under body componets when carrying out their work, this would not be covered by the kits warranty.

Talk about a rock and a hard place !

Lexus where totaly unsympathetic , going as far as to point out they couldn't be held responsible when non approved after market items had been fitted and that they would not meet the costs of removal and replacement.. What a bloody cheek from a company that supplied a vehicle with a potential life threatening fault. If it wasn't for their ineptitude in the first place, I would not be having this discussion

I know from the number of Lexus owners I have meet who have been converted to LPG , that the dealerships are going to be confronted by more than the odd one when dealing with this recall.

It's only for replacing a seal on the brake master cylinder so hopefully they should still be able to get to it without too much difficulty.

http://www.lexus.co.uk/about/news-and-events/2010/brake-master-cylinder-and-fuel-pump-recall.aspx

Am I right in thinking that the brake booster is the big black item on the bulkhead behind the brake fluid cylindar ? It ain't going to be easy to replace that in two hours, with or with out an LPG kit fitted. No mention of loan vehicles I note.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links