Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard Crackle Noise

Hello, I’m a new owner of a 4 year old RX400 and it has an intermittent crackling sound that seems to come from under the dashboard on the passenger side, does anybody know what this is?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this a long-standing issue, particularly if it is worse when cold. I recall reading about dashboard creaks and suchlike when buying our RX300 three years ago (a 2004 model) and ours has tended to do this to no ill-effect.

Here's thread where it is mentioned:- http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=12787&st=0&p=125803&hl=creaking&fromsearch=1entry125803

Or have I misunderstood?

• 3 weeks later...

Best guesses are :

Glove box connections

Pollen Filter - sits behind glovebox

thank you both for your suggestions, it's gone away at the moment but was definitely a crackling sound like crisp bags, rather than a creak

• 4 weeks later...

Try stuffing some foam down along the edge where the dash meets the windscreen. I've put in 3x 6 inch strips, one in the centre, the others either side.

This sorted out my 'creaking' problem which drove me mad. Part of the problem being that the car is so quiet on the inside that any creak or crackle can become a nuisance. The crackle seemed to come from around the instrument cluster and I spent ages trying to trace it and fix it. I found that when I placed my hand on the dash on top of the cluster, that stopped the noise. But it turned out that wasn't where it was coming from.

I picked up this idea from a thread on the USA Lexus Owners site, but can't point you to the exact one. But it did appear to be a regular problem with the Series II RX bodywork.

Since doing this, I've had no problem, and a truly silent car.

I have a 2005 RX400h and have a crackling/creaking (actually more of a rattle) on the passenger side too.

It appears to be coming from the glovebox (or behind/beside it), but is difficult to locate as i drive along.

I have emptied it out (obviously) and tried 'hitting' the dash with my palm (when parked) to hear where the noise is coming from.

I dare say it could be the glove box fixtures, and was wondering if these are easy enough to sort out myself?

I did have a quick look, and noticed a couple of 'half turn' connectors either side.that look like they will turn then pull out (into the glove box), but didnt want to start taking things apart as it was getting dark.

I dare say it could be the glove box fixtures, and was wondering if these are easy enough to sort out myself?

I did have a quick look, and noticed a couple of 'half turn' connectors either side.that look like they will turn then pull out (into the glove box), but didnt want to start taking things apart as it was getting dark.

Yes, those pugs do twist and pull out to release the glove box door so you can get to the pollen filter which becomes clearly visible as the door drops down. I've long had a rattle to do with the glove box door. A thick piece of foam stops it but it never stays in place ( between the passenger side of the glove box and the housing). Alternatively you can trap a nice small ladies leather glove in the door itself (left hand side). Very elegant!

Alan :winky:

I have a 2005 RX400h and have a crackling/creaking (actually more of a rattle) on the passenger side too.

It appears to be coming from the glovebox (or behind/beside it), but is difficult to locate as i drive along.

I have emptied it out (obviously) and tried 'hitting' the dash with my palm (when parked) to hear where the noise is coming from.

Think i may have found the source of my rattle.

Under the glove compartment (near to where a passengers ankles would be) there is a plastic cover with 3 sprung plastic clips, this appears loose.

This cover has the footwell light built into it.

It comes off really easy as it just has these clips that you do with your finger nails and it hooks on at the back.

If i hold it (quite dangerous if driving along though) it stops the noise, but need to investigate more to see if its the cover itself of something resting on it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links