Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bulbs

jakey

Don't bother as it will fail an MOT from next year.

As they are changing the law and any car with after market HID will be an auto fail

I did read something along this lines of this on Pistonheads...whether its true or not I don't know? Ormi, what's the deal with aftermarket HID's from next year?

i have heard this but i have seen nothing from vosa(you know how it is everyone knows before vosa lol most of the time its hear say)....untill i see proof as long as they are alighned and have a cut off its a pass...

oh hide the hid box then(under the headlight or behind the bumper)if you cant tell you cant fail....

Info from a thread on my other forum Briskoda.......

There are to be some changes to the MOT test from 1st January 2012 which are being introduced in response to European Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of the 5th July 2010 and which will effect those with aftermarket HID headlights and remapped ECUs:

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements:

(a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements

B Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour

(c Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):

(a) Device not operating.

B Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory):

Device not operating.

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:

(a) Control unit illegal modified.

B Illegal engine modification.

(by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

There will also be a new check on the general condition of the wiring:

4.11. Electrical wiring

(a) Wiring insecure or not adequately secured.

B Wiring deteriorated.

(c Damaged or deteriorated insulation

and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners:

Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag:

(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

B Airbag obviously non-operative.

7.1.6. SRS Systems:

SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system.

Some debate on another forum as to the definition of 'illegal engine modification' (undeclared re-map?) and

how the checks are made.

Bit more info on this........

For the true explanation for these changes, see page 8-9 "The Future of the MOT test" in the latest edition (No 48) of Vosa magazine 'Matters of testing'...... CLICKY

Cheers

Dave.

Info from a thread on my other forum Briskoda.......

There are to be some changes to the MOT test from 1st January 2012 which are being introduced in response to European Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of the 5th July 2010 and which will effect those with aftermarket HID headlights and remapped ECUs:

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements:

(a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements

B Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour (unless they provide a spectrum meter this will not happen)(c Light source and lamp not compatible(this is were its going to spoil their fun in order for it not to be compatable is must not fit but hid kits do fit)(also on the colour how do i know what colour the bulbs are ment to be??some are pure white some are blue some are slightly purple from factory)4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):

(a) Device not operating.

B Manual device cannot be operated from drivers seat. (is200 has one)

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory) :(is200 has them)Device not operating.

heres a snip from the mag

Other items such as headlamp

bulb and unit incompatibility,

headlamp levelling devices and

illegal engine chipping will need

further thought before we can get

a workable solution for MOT

stations.

in other words we dont have a clue how we can inforce this!!!

heres a snip from the mag

Other items – such as headlamp

bulb and unit incompatibility,

headlamp levelling devices and

illegal engine ‘chipping’ – will need

further thought before we can get

a workable solution for MOT

stations.

in other words we dont have a clue how we can inforce this!!!

Yeah that's what i thought myself..... People seem to be getting in a bit of a flap about it when it's still only in the early stages / brain storming area. :)

Cheers

Dave.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links