Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whistle

allanm

Hi all, hew to the club. Have recently purchased a 96 mk3, when i get to about 60 mph, i get a constant wind whistle. It drives me mad, the car has a fitted sun roof, i cannot decide if it comes from the n/s front door or the sunroof, do any of you have had similar experiences, if so a possible solution would be appreciated.

I had this on one of my 7 series BMW's. This is how I found out what it was....

To eliminate the sunroof, or indeed indentify it as the culprit, put some masking tape round the edges of the roof so that you are in fact taping it shut. Then run up to 60 and see if it's gone. If so, you have the culprit, if not, then you know it's not the roof.

May sound silly, but it sorted the 7.

Thanks

Mike

Hi, I had this issue on my earlier 1992 LS400 a few years back and never did find the culprit !

I think it might have been from an ill fitting door folowing a very much " early in the life of the car " body prang.

Couldn't tell it was out of alignment tho'.

I lived with it and now reflect how quiet the engine was to be able to hear those almost imperceptible " odd " noises.

Good luck finding it anyway.

Malc

Hi all, hew to the club. Have recently purchased a 96 mk3, when i get to about 60 mph, i get a constant wind whistle. It drives me mad, the car has a fitted sun roof, i cannot decide if it comes from the n/s front door or the sunroof, do any of you have had similar experiences, if so a possible solution would be appreciated.

Hi

Check that the moon roof opens and closes properly. Tilt it whilst travelling then close it. Then open the roof until the wind deflector pops up. Then close it (do not tilt). Has that cured it? Has it made any difference?

Examine the roof channel with doors open. Is the rubber twisted or broken? Pay particular attention to the rubber where it meets the side windscreen finisher; this could show trapped twists etc from a windscreen replacement. If you find anything here you will need to remove the finisher. The screws will likely as not be well rusted. Copious amounts of WD40 otherwise they will break.

Problem still not identified/cured? Turn your attention to the rubber strips all around the door and frame. Check these are clean and in good condition. Replace those that are not. Whilst you are doing this, take the time to clean all the rubbers and the channel on the sill. Also, please check that the window runner is satisfactory and that the window runs correctly such that when closed there is no lifting or twisting of the runner. If there is:-

Remove the door card http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorpanel.html note that there is an extra screw on the MKIII. Check the full operation of the window and runners. Take the opporunity to clean out the bottom of the door and grease the window lift mechanism (big crank). While the door card is off, remove the small speaker trim and inspect the fitting of the external mirror such that no wind/noise can enter.

I've run out of thoughts, but that lot should keep you busy for a while.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links