Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Remove Climate Temp Panel In Ls400 Mk 4

One of the climate control temp displays above the satnav unit is not illuminating anymore. It is, however, functioning and the temp settings can be changed. From reading posts on the forum it would appear that a fused bulb is most probably the culprit. I would appreciate some help about removing the panel to change the bulb. Thanks.

Welcome to the LOC Charlie Brown,nice link for the repair AlanR,It's nearly Christmas Nitmoi show a little compassion for a new member lol, TBH I would also have struggled to find that info provided by Jon Evans.

Looks a lot of work and delicate stripping down to replace a couple of bulbs but the cost savings and the satisfaction of DIY is priceless!

Just a point on the ribbon cable removals mentioned in the tutorial as stated these are clamped into the socket on the PCB and to release you lift the latch at the top of the sockets then pull out the ribbon,when refitting you need to make sure the ribbon is inserted correctly then push down the retainer on both sides at the same time or it will seesaw and not fully clamp.

A magnifying glass is always a useful tool in situations like this.

This is fabulous - thanks for posting this. It is an excellent write up - I wonder how long it took him to do the job.

Thanks AlanR and Steve2006. AlanR for pointing me in the right direction with the helpful link. Steve2006 for your kind words and understanding. Nitmoi, thanks anyway.

I had searched and searched the forum for hours on end and I did not find this link and I doubt if I could have. Finally I accepted defeat (not often that I do in such matters) and decided to join and ask for help. I even emailed Chris Vince, but he couldn't help with a Mk 4. I will go over the tutorial and see how much work is involved. If it is too much I mght let Lexus do it for me depending on the cost or wait until the days are longer and a little bit more warmer. The car is due to go in for its annual service soon. First thing that's ever gone wrong with it.

Thanks again, guys. Much appreciated!

Looked at the tutorial. I think I could tackle that on a summer day. I am in no rush. The thing of concern is about removing the air vent and the console around the gear lever without damaging them or marking them.

Steve2006, thanks for the tips about the ribbon cable. Looks like you've done this too.

Looked at the tutorial. I think I could tackle that on a summer day. I am in no rush. The thing of concern is about removing the air vent and the console around the gear lever without damaging them or marking them.

Steve2006, thanks for the tips about the ribbon cable. Looks like you've done this too.

Being an electronics engineer I did my own 1994 climate control LCD and ribbon cables are the norm in appliances these days.

To avoid damage to the vents and wood trim panel get yourself a 2" wallpaper scraper then wrap some insulation tape around the blade leaving 5mm of the edge of the blade exposed.

This will enable you to prise the items out without causing damage.

Sorry it wasn't a lack of compassion but more an encouragement to search and I only had a few mins to reply. As I said it was all there. I did offer a welcome Steve!

No problem Nitmoi and a merry Christmas to you

Thanks for the tip, Steve. Might even do it sooner than summer. In fact, let the weather improve a little, as once removed from the car, the unit can can be taken inside the house. I feel encouraged with all the help I am getting. It make me feel confident about tackling this.

A very merry Christmas to all of you. It is the season to be jolly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links