Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h insurance renewal

I have a RX450 with a tow bar fitted, I unfortunately reversed into my neighbour's car. I broke the number plate holder and caused a crack behind it on her bumper.

I told her about it (trying to do the right thing) and did contact my insurance, RAC arranged cover to report it. Sadly my insurance through them has now jumped up a tad.....

Needless to say they will not be getting my business at renewal. Latest quote £640 on confused.com, £240 above previous renewal, still trying new sites for quotes. 

renewal.thumb.jpg.52262005ecef0912625b947f5e8feeaa.jpg

Some of the increase will be due to your little accident but most of it will be because of recent CAN bus attacks resulting in the RX now appearing in the list of top 10 stolen cars, straight in at No.6 

• Like 3

I would never claim or notify a claim below £1,000.  Given the likely excess and the effect on future premiums and possible reduction of NCB the cost would be recovered pretty quickly.

Once you notify a claim the insurer treats it as a claim whether or not you proceed with it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, katabrontes said:

I would never claim or notify a claim below £1,000.  Given the likely excess and the effect on future premiums and possible reduction of NCB the cost would be recovered pretty quickly.

I have to agree with you there Michael.

So when I renewed my insurance in February I thought I'd increase the voluntary excess to both mirror my view and keep the premium down.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that if I wanted to increase my VE beyond £250 the premium also increased!

Work that one out ... 'cos I couldn't!

🤔

25 minutes ago, katabrontes said:

I would never claim or notify a claim below £1,000.

If you have an accident involving a third party you must inform your insurer (it's in the T&Cs you agreed to) because should the third party claim on their insurance your insurers will find out as all companies share this information.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Some of the increase will be due to your little accident but most of it will be because of recent CAN bus attacks resulting in the RX now appearing in the list of top 10 stolen cars, straight in at No.6 

Indeed, mine has more than DOUBLED year over year with Aviva from £350 to £750 a year with no claims or changes. Comparison sites have reduced that down to £535 but even so…😬

All I will say is that I’m in the middle of a 400 mile round trip. Having spent almost four hours in the RX this morning, I’m content to pay albeit through gritted teeth “…because I’m worth it.”

😆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

If you have an accident involving a third party you must inform your insurer (it's in the T&Cs you agreed to) because should the third party claim on their insurance your insurers will find out as all companies share this information.

That is perfectly correct Peter, but if both you and the Third Party agree to settle "out of court" (so to speak) then neither Insurer need be any the wiser 😉 .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK so insurance due slightly over a months time and I thought I would get some quotes.

A year ago £600.  Today it starts at £1300.  The car hasn't aged, its not a classic car.  Those F@@@king cartel insurance companies with their big fat lazy bottomed execs and deluded shareholders are screwing the motorist over.  Literally shafting us up the backside.  Don't give me all this increased claims, they can cover that with last years prices and still make millions.  

OK now I got that off my chest.

I want a reputable insurer who will pay out without the issues I read on TrustPilot, in the event of a claim.

I want to take my car to Lexus and use genuine Lexus parts.  Not some ****ty "guaranteed" Chinese knock off parts or some back street unheard of repair shop.

I want someone who knows my car and is certified on Lexus to repair it in the event of.

I want a decent sized loan car.  Not a piddly 1L Micra or something.

Yes I know that comes at a REASONABLE price.

I will check out satisfaction ratings and reviews, if they are S**T then I won't bother with that insurer.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I'd suggest LV, if you don't want to use their recommended repairer you can pay a little more on the excess to use your repairer of choice.

I have had one claim where someone pulled out of a side road into me, was a very prompt and professional service from LV.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 6:31 PM, Sybaris said:

OK so insurance due slightly over a months time and I thought I would get some quotes.

A year ago £600.  Today it starts at £1300.  The car hasn't aged, its not a classic car.  Those F@@@king cartel insurance companies with their big fat lazy bottomed execs and deluded shareholders are screwing the motorist over.  Literally shafting us up the backside.  Don't give me all this increased claims, they can cover that with last years prices and still make millions.  

OK now I got that off my chest.

I want a reputable insurer who will pay out without the issues I read on TrustPilot, in the event of a claim.

I want to take my car to Lexus and use genuine Lexus parts.  Not some ****ty "guaranteed" Chinese knock off parts or some back street unheard of repair shop.

I want someone who knows my car and is certified on Lexus to repair it in the event of.

I want a decent sized loan car.  Not a piddly 1L Micra or something.

Yes I know that comes at a REASONABLE price.

I will check out satisfaction ratings and reviews, if they are S**T then I won't bother with that insurer.

Any suggestions?

I find it hard to believe that your premium has more than doubled with the same Insurer in just one year without you having some issue during the 12 month term.  Are you sure that you're telling us everything?

Even so, I suspect that by reducing your list of "I wants" you might find a more competitive premium but if you don't want to do that then you obviously restrict yourself.

I think LV are one of the better companies when it comes to settling claims but for me became unreasonably expensive.  I was with them for my E39 BMW and before purchasing my RX450h they gave me a reasonable figure for covering unexpired period of cover on the Beamer.  However, notwithstanding there had not been a claim in the interim, on renewal LV pro rata doubled my Premium so they lost my business.  There were other insurers who were more competitive but also got excessively expensive.  

Last year I renewed with AXA through a broker (This was cheaper than going to them direct and included a discount for being a Club Member.  I renewed with them again this year in the same way, although the cost was increased considerably but still a lot less than others.  I did get the price further shaved by reducing the value of the car from last year.  After all, in need AXA are not going to pay over the market value anyway. 

Yep telling you all there is.  Might be my location that is a big factor but it seems to be right across the board with a lot of luxury cars where I am.

I also think they are clawing back the money they paid out during covid.

Perhaps I do have a big wish list but is it too much to ask for a reasonable price for the service I would like and not to have the issue of fighting the insurer or waiting months for a claim?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

LV are now refusing/declining to insure rx450s as from 2024 -  I have had my e-mail. I have had RX450s insured through them for the last ten years. This will make RXs a really attractive purchase in the future ....... not!

The reason ...... 

The hybrid Lexus RX 450h is now the second most stolen and recovered vehicle in Tracker’s league table

New figures from Tracker reveal the Lexus RX 450h was the second most stolen and recovered vehicle in the UK for the first half of 2023, only beaten by the Range Rover Sport, which retained its leading position in the league table.

• Sad 2

@Phil Davis and other with gen 4 RX, what are your plans? I feel I am heading rapidly into the situation where I have a vehicle on PCP (that I was planning to buy at the end of the term) that I may not actually be able to insure for the final year of the deal - and if I can it will be several multiple thousands to do so.

Paul

• Sad 1

It looks like I am not the only one to be refused a renewal quote.

The only satisfaction that I have got from insurance is that I have been able to SORN the IsF over winter, so they won't get a penny for that renewal.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all afford to not pay anything for just one month and see how these crooks swallow that one.

BTW Look out for lots more uninsured cars on the road from now on - be careful.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, Sybaris said:

This is what Lexus quoted to insure a 3 year old RX

Hey Dan - You might have given the game away----

• Lexus Model: Not saying. Too many thieves.😄

Spoken to Lexus UK, There is apparently a plate they can supply and fit which prevents access to the headlight. Speak to your local people - mine said they cannot get it at the moment!

It does nit of course solve the insurance problem

1 hour ago, Phil Davis said:

Spoken to Lexus UK, There is apparently a plate they can supply and fit which prevents access to the headlight. Speak to your local people - mine said they cannot get it at the moment!

It does nit of course solve the insurance problem

Usually an email to Lexus CS will sort the plate availability. They will contact your local dealership and get things moving. They say they are prioritising cars in the Greater London area but my dealer sorted my car within 7days of me asking.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links