Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are Lexus Satnav Dvd's The Same As Toyota Satnav Dvd's

Hi Folks,

Well I finally got around to getting myself an IS300 (it's the one that Bob King spotted on Pistonheads, thanks Bob). I'm as pleased as punch with it and it's everything I hoped it would be. However, having said that, there are a couple of things that need putting right. One of them is that the Satnav DVD is the 2001 edition and so ,naturally, things have changed a bit since then. I've seen a few Satnav DVD's advertised on eBay and I'm wondering, are Lexus DVD's the same as Toyota ones. Also if a DVD is being sold as "for Lexus" does that mean that it's suitable for any Lexus or are there different DVD's for the different models.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Folks,

Well I finally got around to getting myself an IS300 (it's the one that Bob King spotted on Pistonheads, thanks Bob). I'm as pleased as punch with it and it's everything I hoped it would be. However, having said that, there are a couple of things that need putting right. One of them is that the Satnav DVD is the 2001 edition and so ,naturally, things have changed a bit since then. I've seen a few Satnav DVD's advertised on Ebay and I'm wondering, are Lexus DVD's the same as Toyota ones. Also if a DVD is being sold as "for Lexus" does that mean that it's suitable for any Lexus or are there different DVD's for the different models.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi and congratulations,before buying one off eBay make sure you have the right disc(s)/part number as not all discs are compartible.Yours might be a cd rom rather than a dvd disc.They are different disc for different generations of sat nav.Hope this helps.

The IS300 is DVD so no worries there, I think Toyota discs might work but you have to make absolutely sure that it's for the correct system.

It's quite risky though unless it's very cheap or you can verify it's the right disc.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply's.

Like you say, Parthiban, the IS300 is DVD all the way. So, I had the DVD out of the boot at lunch time and it's got the part No (86271-24120) on it. I pumped this into the Lexus Navigation Map Updates and it recognizes the part No. The update it recommends is part No PZ485-X01EU-10 at the princely (or should that be pricey) sum of 159 euro's. So I reckon I'll keep my eyes peeled for a DVD that's a year or two old of eBay. If there's anyone who's looking to sell something like that I'd be interested.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Folks,

Just thinking back to the DVD update.

At the moment, the DVD that's in my 300 is 2001 ver 1. Also, it can be used while the car's moving. When I've looked on the Lexus map updates website, it looks like I'm not supposed to be able to use it while driving. If I update to a newer DVD, would that mean that I would lose the ability to use the satnav while the car is moving.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply's.

Like you say, Parthiban, the IS300 is DVD all the way. So, I had the DVD out of the boot at lunch time and it's got the part No (86271-24120) on it. I pumped this into the Lexus Navigation Map Updates and it recognizes the part No. The update it recommends is part No PZ485-X01EU-10 at the princely (or should that be pricey) sum of 159 euro's. So I reckon I'll keep my eyes peeled for a DVD that's a year or two old of Ebay. If there's anyone who's looking to sell something like that I'd be interested.

Cheers,

Mick.

The SatNav for the IS200/300 dates back to the days when such things were expensive parts of a magicians toolkit. I really think Lexus should accept their update discs are currently priced higher than better, newer complete SatNavs and as a service to their customers reduce them to say £15 which should still yield a profit. Of course, no chance!

Hi Folks,

Just thinking back to the DVD update.

At the moment, the DVD that's in my 300 is 2001 ver 1. Also, it can be used while the car's moving. When I've looked on the Lexus map updates website, it looks like I'm not supposed to be able to use it while driving. If I update to a newer DVD, would that mean that I would lose the ability to use the satnav while the car is moving.

Cheers,

Mick.

The satnav in our cars cannot be updated to allow input while moving from a DVD, only the latest units can do this.

It sounds like a previous owner has made a wiring modification to allow this, normally done by inserting a switch on the sensor wire that checks if the car is moving or not.

It would be odd to have done this without a switch, so have a search around, there is probably a switch somewhere that will turn this function on and off.

Hi Parthiban,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, having read a few more articles on t'internet about Lexus Satnav, I'm not completely sure I really can use it while driving (or at least not fully). I know this sounds odd but what I mean is that, because I can switch it on and press the "take me home icon", I'm assuming that means I can use it while on the move. I haven't tried typing in an address while driving (I choose life :) ). Next time I have a passenger in with me, I'll get them to try and type in an address to see if I really can use it fully (while driving). If it turns out that what I actually have is partial functionality then what I've got already is Ok with me. In that case, I'll keep my eyes peeled for an update DVD.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Parthiban,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, having read a few more articles on t'internet about Lexus Satnav, I'm not completely sure I really can use it while driving (or at least not fully). I know this sounds odd but what I mean is that, because I can switch it on and press the "take me home icon", I'm assuming that means I can use it while on the move. I haven't tried typing in an address while driving (I choose life :) ). Next time I have a passenger in with me, I'll get them to try and type in an address to see if I really can use it fully (while driving). If it turns out that what I actually have is partial functionality then what I've got already is Ok with me. In that case, I'll keep my eyes peeled for an update DVD.

Cheers,

Mick.

Ahh then maybe it hasn't been hacked. The home button and 5 preset destinations are available while moving, it's the address input and other more involved processes that aren't available.

If you want to test it out without a passenger, just put it on the address entry screen and then drive away, the buttons will all grey out while moving and then come back when you stop :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links