Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard Rattle/creak Sound. Please Help Me!

My 3 year old daughter even noticed the dash crack. The car is under warranty but it doesnt annoy me enough for the hassle of booking it in to fix it.

I would say get it checked, as mine was not that noticeable, but my god after a few months it was crazy and seemed like a crap banger.

See if Lexus would do it under warranty, as it is a known issue and they do have a solution "better new clips and padding"

Thanks to Carl, who kindly sent me some foam pads my dash rattle has gone for good.

The pads were a type of rubber/silicone/gel blend and pressure resistant so once in between the dash and windscreen it expands. I have searched on ebay and found some that you can try if you experience the same.

On ebay search Neoprene sponge rubber - here is a link too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2MM-0R-6MM-THICK-ADHESIVE-BACKED-BLACK-NEOPRENE-SPONGE-RUBBER-SHEET-75mm-x-500mm-/261340187889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cd916ccf1

Very cheap and you only need three small bits folded in half so the sticky side stick to its self, then use a screwdriver and place two by ach pillar and one in the centre part of the dash and windscreen.

Hope this helps. :phone:

Ishaq, thank you so much for posting this! I bought my IS250 less than a week ago and I've noticed the cracking already, but couldn't find a definitive solution anywhere until today.

I've got some questions if that's OK:

That eBay auction lists two thickness: 2mm and 6mm. Which do you think is most like the foam you used?

How far in do you push the pieces?

Any chance you have any left over? Even a tiny piece? Then I could compare it to the eBay stuff and post back here whether it's the same.

Thanks to Carl, who kindly sent me some foam pads my dash rattle has gone for good.

The pads were a type of rubber/silicone/gel blend and pressure resistant so once in between the dash and windscreen it expands. I have searched on ebay and found some that you can try if you experience the same.

On ebay search Neoprene sponge rubber - here is a link too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2MM-0R-6MM-THICK-ADHESIVE-BACKED-BLACK-NEOPRENE-SPONGE-RUBBER-SHEET-75mm-x-500mm-/261340187889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cd916ccf1

Very cheap and you only need three small bits folded in half so the sticky side stick to its self, then use a screwdriver and place two by ach pillar and one in the centre part of the dash and windscreen.

Hope this helps. :phone:

Ishaq, thank you so much for posting this! I bought my IS250 less than a week ago and I've noticed the cracking already, but couldn't find a definitive solution anywhere until today.

I've got some questions if that's OK:

That eBay auction lists two thickness: 2mm and 6mm. Which do you think is most like the foam you used?

How far in do you push the pieces?

Any chance you have any left over? Even a tiny piece? Then I could compare it to the eBay stuff and post back here whether it's the same.

Marc, order the 6mm - should cost you only £2.50 or you can order the 5mm from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121215824485?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D121215824485%26_rdc%3D1 - this should cost you £2.25

Either way when you fold it over so both sticky sides stick to each other, you will then need to push it in enough so its out of site but not too far where you lose it inside the dash. Don't worry you will know when to stop.

Sorry I don't have any left as Carl, was kind enough to send me his leftovers - and man I am so happy!!!

Go for it, and just buy....you will love the smoothness of the Lexus IS with no noise....my one was creeky noise and really made we want to sell the car :megaangry:

Ok, I'm going to order the 6mm and also some 12mm non-adhesive stuff from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-NEOPRENE-PLAIN-SPONGE-FOAM-RUBBER-SHEET-VARIOUS-SHEET-SIZES-THICKNESSES-/261338185781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cd8f84035

I can then choose from both.

Roughly how big were the three pieces you used?

Ok, I'm going to order the 6mm and also some 12mm non-adhesive stuff from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-NEOPRENE-PLAIN-SPONGE-FOAM-RUBBER-SHEET-VARIOUS-SHEET-SIZES-THICKNESSES-/261338185781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cd8f84035

I can then choose from both.

Roughly how big were the three pieces you used?

Marc, I would say the same length as your middle finger and width as two fingers. Fold it in half so you get double the thickness and then squeeze it between the dash

Length 8cm Width 3cm - Fold the length in half sticky side to sticky side so you get to 4cm.

Hope this helps....So other people are also getting cracking noise from behind the satnav unit and for this its a complete removal and then padding inside of all wires and lose bits. Search this on forums and you will find loads of threads to read.

Just got my IS250 and have the full set of dash rattles and creaks.

So thought I would give this a go.

But excuse my ignorance and naivety but exactly where do I push in the neoprene strips? Is it between the dash and windscreen, if so are there exact places they need to go or just use the recommended three in a one at each end, and one in middle sort of configuration?

Many thanks.

Just got my IS250 and have the full set of dash rattles and creaks.

So thought I would give this a go.

But excuse my ignorance and naivety but exactly where do I push in the neoprene strips? Is it between the dash and windscreen, if so are there exact places they need to go or just use the recommended three in a one at each end, and one in middle sort of configuration?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I tried the foam trick this weekend (I used the 12mm foam I linked to in my earlier post). (thanks to Ishaq for all his advice)

I cut the foam into three 4cm x 3cm pieces and inserted them in between the dashboard and windscreen. I put them in long-edge first, and sprayed a bit of silicone lubricant on each piece first to make it easier to get them in there. It was a very very easy job.

First piece went in the centre of the dash.

Second piece went on the far right of the dash, a couple of centimetres in from the A-pillar.

Third piece went on the far left of the dash, several centimetres in from the A-pillar. There is little rectanguar something attached to the windscreen on the left side which I decided I didn't want to cover, hence why I didn't put the foam quite so close to the A-pillar as I did on the right.

There is a definite improvement, but still some creaking when the car is cold. This seems to be coming from the left of the dash (previously it was centred) so I might try moving the left-hand piece further to the left or adding two more pieces in between the existing ones.

The 'cracking' noise (like something hitting the windscreen) hasn't gone away, but apparently this is to do with the stereo/air-con?

Hi Marc, you are right there is a few cracking noise that comes from the Multimedia Sat Nav system.

Some people have sorted this out by removing the whole unit (lots of vids on YouTube) and putting padding inside. Some have also removed the centre speaker and put padding there too. This is very easy as you can take the speaker cover off with flat head screwdriver and the speaker inside is held my two small screws.

I will at some point do this and will then confirm if that resolves the cracking from the multimedia unit.

You don't need to have the MM system to get the 'crack' sound.

It can happen with the standard Pioneer system too. Think it required a couple of shims/spacers between the A/C bit and the Radio unit. Something to do with plastic surfaces expanding at different rates. Sounds like someone fired a ball-bearing at your windscreen!!

You'll need to take out the centre unit to do it!

You don't need to have the MM system to get the 'crack' sound.

It can happen with the standard Pioneer system too. Think it required a couple of shims/spacers between the A/C bit and the Radio unit. Something to do with plastic surfaces expanding at different rates. Sounds like someone fired a ball-bearing at your windscreen!!

You'll need to take out the centre unit to do it!

I've read about the shims/spacers being needed but I've never found a definitive description of where exactly they need to go. Anyone know where I might find this?

I don't mind pulling the centre unit out (despite having seen the scary video!) but only if I know what to do next! :)

My old IS220d was one of the first registered and one of the first cars to be initially fixed with the foam, back in spring 2006 and it was one of those really annoying things. It went away at the start, but did come back within a few weeks. Ultimately, after 2.5 years of fiddling about with different grades of foam, and the warranty expiry looming, it was confirmed by Lexus that it needed the dash out jobbie. I was really nervous about them messing with the dash like that - needless to say I took a hard financial hit and moved marques as I had suffered all manner of squeaks and rattles from Day one.

So I can sympathise with anyone who is suffering this, though I do believe that it was very much a manufacturing defect and as such Lexus should honour all complaints where there is a problem in their manufacturing (i.e. the clips that is well documented on this forum).

Things do wear out and "move", but I also think that there are too many plastics of differing grades all over the dash, which is never going to help.

The dashboard noises are now on my hit-list.

I have shoved 3 pieces of folded black felt into the dash/windscreen slot area, will see what that does, and the car is booked in next week to Toyoda Tech for the centre unit removal and padding addition.

I can confirm that I am another satisfied user of the "shove some padding between windscreen and dash" technique. Had a 70 mile round trip today and apart from the CRACK noise from the centre console the dash itself was whisper quiet, not a peep. Sorted!

It may not be a Lexus or permanent fix but for zero cost and 5 mins effort from someone who is truly dreadful at doing any sort of mod, this has to qualify as an easy, simple, and ultra cheap fix to what is, for some, a very annoying aspect of the IS. Big thank you to those on this forum who posted this tip.

• 1 year later...

Dean, yes mine is still good. Try it and will only cost you few pounds but worth every penny.

I mean that need to make a few adjustments as it's been a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

People who have used this foam and padding is it still providing a good fix for some of the noise?

Yes, did mine in Dec 2013 and still working fine, so noises at all from that area. Still have the "crack" from the multimedia. Had the Lexus chaps take it out a couple of times and shim in but the noise never went.

Its really worth doing. For a numptie such as myself shoving stuff between the dash and windscreen with a screwdriver is a bit daunting, but really its easy, doesnt have to be precise.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links