Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

the old girl passed the MOT today with a couple of adviseries. Mainly tyres which i didnt want to change before knowing if id get some use from them if you know what i mean.

Still a couple of issues though;

1 Battery went flat a week ago (car in garage unused too long) and now the steering wheel wont go in and out. Up and down yes, but not up and down. I think its fully out. When i press the little arm back i just get 2 click sounds.

2 Although it passed the brake test i still intend to change the rear discs because they are very badly corroded, even on the faces. Is it really just a matter of a couple of screws or is a big hammer needed?

Happy days though on the whole. Another 12 months quality ownership. :hehe:

the old girl passed the MOT today with a couple of adviseries. Mainly tyres which i didnt want to change before knowing if id get some use from them if you know what i mean.

1 Battery went flat a week ago (car in garage unused too long) and now the steering wheel wont go in and out. Up and down yes, but not up and down. I think its fully out. When i press the little arm back i just get 2 click sounds.

2 Although it passed the brake test i still intend to change the rear discs because they are very badly corroded, even on the faces. Is it really just a matter of a couple of screws or is a big hammer needed?

Glad she made it!

Rear discs not too bad,make sure you slacken the parking brake adjustment right off,

so the disc pulls off clear of the shoes.

Readjust when new discs on

Good result, same for me a couple of weeks ago.

Glad she made it!

Rear discs not too bad,make sure you slacken the parking brake adjustment right off,

so the disc pulls off clear of the shoes.

Readjust when new discs on

Woooooooooow! whats all this about slackening the hand brake off. Howd i do that? :blink:

Hi to slaken the handbrake off you have an inspection hole in the disc( with a tourch turn the disc till you see a knuled wheel with teeth ) use a flat head screwdriver to turn the wheel to slacken off the handbrake shoes. You may have to drill out the 2 screws holing the disc on dont worry you dont need to replace them as they are not really important some cars dont have them. To adjust the shoes back up release the park brake, adjust the knuled wheel till the shoes bind when you turn the disc, then back it off a bit so the disc turns freely, try the parking brake. Job done

If the car has been standing for a while your discs will show "corrosion" on them. The front discs clear very quickly on braking but the rears will take longer as they don't get the same amount of contact with pads under normal braking. If the corrosion was anything other than surface corrosion, which will wear off, then your car would either have failed or certainly had advisory.

If you put new discs on and it stands unused again for any length of time then the new discs will look the same.

When i press the little arm back i just get 2 click sounds

On the steering wheel thing, this click came up recently on windowes sticking, someonese elses & mine, it turned out both cars needed a clean in the mechanical (cogs etc I suppose) parts nothing electric, but, it reminded me other click things in the past on other cars, indicator switches as wel as a window on anther car, I know my mechanic told me on those occasions many of these click things simply need cleaning after accumulating bits of dirt & grease over the years, just a sugestion.

Thanks guys for all the help. The hand brake ajustment would have had me stumped.

As for the rusty discs. Its not surface rust you get when parked up for a bit. The surface of the discs are quite deeply corroded in patches.

Thanks guys for all the help. The hand brake ajustment would have had me stumped.

As for the rusty discs. Its not surface rust you get when parked up for a bit. The surface of the discs are quite deeply corroded in patches.

The handbrake adjustment is not difficult, just fiddly.

previous post with instruction is good, just follow it, turn the disc until you can see the adjuster through the hole provided, cheap LED torch helps to find it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links