Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Petrol Consumption Getting Better.

Over the last few months my mpg has been steadily increasing. I don't have a clue why - my driving routes/profiles are the same and I haven't changed fuel (always use standard supermarket fuel). I used to get about 485 miles to a full tank, but now it's up to 520 miles - quite a significant jump. Any ideas why?

LS460 - four years old, 35,000 miles on the clock.

Mainly driven to and from work - motorway about 33 miles each way.

Normally stick to about 70-75 on the motorway.

dave, I think its down to the shift in the tilt of the earth. There is, as most of us know, true north and magnetic north (and a couple of other norths if you beleive what Stephen Fry tells us). The general explaination is that now so much scrap metal is being exported to europe in the form of "made in China" products, the magnetic north has shifted. Slightly to the left and down a bit. I dont know where your daily drive route is but its possible that you are now driving down hill a bit more.

Its nothing to worry about. A simialr thing happened about 200 years ago during a migration of people form scotland moving south for work in the newly opened factories in the midlands and south of england. This resulted in the scottish highland rising slightly and south of england (mainly the south east) sinking a bit.

I wouldnt worry about it Dave. Just drive around as much as you can so that you save as much as possible. Extra MPG means a saving at the pump. If you drive around enough you should able to save enough to buy a new Lexus.

Any more financial questions, just ask.

Yours jonathan

IFA

dave, I think its down to the shift in the tilt of the earth. There is, as most of us know, true north and magnetic north (and a couple of other norths if you beleive what Stephen Fry tells us). The general explaination is that now so much scrap metal is being exported to europe in the form of "made in China" products, the magnetic north has shifted. Slightly to the left and down a bit. I dont know where your daily drive route is but its possible that you are now driving down hill a bit more.

Its nothing to worry about. A simialr thing happened about 200 years ago during a migration of people form scotland moving south for work in the newly opened factories in the midlands and south of england. This resulted in the scottish highland rising slightly and south of england (mainly the south east) sinking a bit.

I wouldnt worry about it Dave. Just drive around as much as you can so that you save as much as possible. Extra MPG means a saving at the pump. If you drive around enough you should able to save enough to buy a new Lexus.

Any more financial questions, just ask.

Yours jonathan

IFA

LOL I really want to believe that explanation :)

Hi Sir John,

Love the explanation but it does require a bit of clarification.

The Scots who left and traveled South, and indeed all over the world, didn't do it to look for work. They were actually forced off the land by a chap called "Butcher Cumberland" and the government who sat in Westminster. They would have been quite happy to stay there.

Rant over and apologies for adding stuff not related to the thread.

Tc (a proud Scot)

Hi Sir John,

The Scots who left and traveled South, and indeed all over the world, didn't do it to look for work. They were actually forced off the land by a chap called "Butcher Cumberland" and the government who sat in Westminster. They would have been quite happy to stay there.

Tc (a proud Scot)

Hi Thunderchild,

I stand corrected on the reason for the migration. Absolutely apalling treatment of the working classes I agree.

Glad you liked the explaination in general though, which of course, is all sound scientific stuff.

JW (proud to english working class) Bye thee ek!

Now, where did i put that powdered water?

Hi Sir John,

Tc (a proud Scot)

Hi Thunderchild,

I stand corrected on the reason for the migration. Absolutely apalling treatment of the working classes I agree.

Glad you liked the explaination in general though, which of course, is all sound scientific stuff.

Please also don't forget (and this is an important factor in your improving mpg).... there are far more people in the UK than a few years ago and so they are all using up valuable air when they breath. This means there is far less air around than there used to be so less wind resistance on your Lexus - thus ...more MPG !!! Simples.

Hi Sir John,

Tc (a proud Scot)

Hi Thunderchild,

Please also don't forget (and this is an important factor in your improving mpg).... there are far more people in the UK than a few years ago and so they are all using up valuable air when they breath. This means there is far less air around than there used to be so less wind resistance on your Lexus - thus ...more MPG !!! Simples.

Brilliant! That gives me an idea. This is going to save you thousands in saved fuel Dave.

Heres the plan.

We have now established that, due to the new tilt of the earth, DaveB is driving down hill more than he used to and there is also an extra saving due to a reduction in wind resistance. (This is because an increase in population is breathing in more air). Why not sit loads of people on the bonnet of your Lexus when you go for a drive? That way, they will all be breathing, thus removing the air from directly in front of the car. This will all but remove the wind resistance all together. The people on the bonnet will also lift weight from the rear wheels thus reducing the wieght of the back of the car (a further saving).

Dave, you will be driving around for free in no time mi old son. Why didnt i think of this before buying the Rover 75 CDT?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links