Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Changing Out Driver Window

Ok so I have an 01 IS300 with 199,970 miles on it and the FIRST thing to EVER go wrong with it just happened.

The driver window track broke. The mechanism itself to push and pull the window is fine. There are two plastic pieces and one broke. I took off the door panel and was able to get the window out along with unscrewing the plastic adapter pieces. I then fixed the pieces and glued them back to the window itself with EXTREMELY strong adhesive and it should stick.

Here is the question:

The door itself isn't one piece correct? There is an outside part and an inside part to it? How do I remove the inside part to place the window back in and screw the window regulator back into the door frame and place both pieces back inside the outside frame of the car?

Thank you

Hi

I had an electric window issue where the window was replaced by a windscreen fitter and he managed to adhere those plastic clips that you refer to, to the outer door seal. Making window opening impossible as the mechanism was trying to pull the outdoor seal through and down instead.

I rectified it by removing clips via unbolting from the rollers that are in the aluminium guide bar that goes up and down.

All I did to remove the window was tilt it slightly and pull it out of the door upwards. (remove (clips)the outer door strip that sits against the bottom of the window) There is plenty of space to facilitate removal.

Putting glass back in is the opposite procedure obviously but..

Connect your door panel back to the electrical connectors and move the mechanism so that you can acces at least one of the plastic clips that adhere to the glass.

I used araldite to adhere the clips to the glass as 3 different attempts with 3 other adhesives very soon failed.

I filled the clips with adhesive. Moved the mechanism to allow me to bolt on oneclip moved mechanism and bolted on the other. (Araldite, depending on amount of hardener you use should allow plenty of time to do this)

The I lowered the window through the top "Carefully" into the full clips and mopped up the excess adhesive. I then closed the window. (Making sure the window follows the rubber guides on the side of the window and the glass is still seated in the clips)

Replace outside seal and door trim + handles etc.

I left the window 24 hours before attempting to operate. Having pulled the clips off the glass on 3 previous occasions, I was taking no more risks. lol

Window has been operating for 6 months now with no further problem.

The job is fiddly and tricky and you will graze your hands trying to get them in the small holes in the rear of the door but it's preferable to Lexus prices and removing door skins.

I hope this is even just a little help for you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links