Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How High Is To High Mileage?

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and have couple of concerns about buying an IS 220D

I've been looking on auto trader and for my budget it's showing mainly 56 plates IS220Ds with around 80K on the clock. I want to buy this car to last, and am going with Lexus for reliability and overall quality of the car.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any advice on what to avoid in the model? Also does anyone know on average how long they last until problems start popping up? I've heard of lexus's lasting hundreds of thousands of miles if well looked after, but buying probably an ex fleet car with 80-100k miles done in only a few years is a little worrying? I'm sure I could get a little astra with lower miles but I just wanted someone else to say, don't worry your lexus with 80k will last much longer than an astra with 40k.

Any input will help,

Cheers,

Jay.

Hi Jay,

80K isn't a lot really. If it was a fleet car, and has been properly serviced by Lexus/Lexus dealer, and the book is stamped you may be OK. I've heard that some of the pre- 07 model engines suffered a lot of problems, and, that Lexus have replaced the engines even although they were out of warranty. Other than that, it's a good car. I love mine to bits, and there's loads of great advice on this forum too. Good luck mate.

Col.. <[;o)

Jay

I have an 07 IS220D currently at 67,000 miles (above average - and bought it with high miles) - never had any engine problem whatsoever with it although I do have it main dealer serviced every 12 months (this is not cheap :o so factor it in to your costs)

I have keyless entry/push button start and the only issue I have had is not being able to get in the darn thing - this has only happened once (something to do with the radio waves in the key being interferred with)

I am looking to change to an RX400 and like you will probably have to look at a high milage model - I am not bothered about this as long as it has main dealer service history - I think its important that the vehicle has been looked after.

Lexus is known for its reliabilty and thats why I am sticking with them

...I have keyless entry/push button start...

I am looking to change to an RX400...

:offtopic:

I don't know if you're aware but one thing that's missing on the RX400 is keyless entry. It still catches me out after 5 months. I touch the door-handle and nothing happens. Very retro :(

Javadude - yes I am aware but how strange as you say :blink: - I consider the RX400 more lux than the IS - so why wouldn't they give the RX the keyless entry??

I also know that the RX is automatic and I have only ever driven manual!

Oh and that its a bit bigger parking wise than the IS!

A few things for me to think about - I dont really want to move to another marque but have been loking at the Ford Kuga as well :blink:

Javadude - yes I am aware but how strange as you say :blink: - I consider the RX400 more lux than the IS - so why wouldn't they give the RX the keyless entry??

A few things for me to think about - I dont really want to move to another marque but have been loking at the Ford Kuga as well :blink:

Am sure the Kuga must be a fine car - but the rear end has to be the ugliest I have seen in years - but others may like it of course.

:winky: :winky: No Brainer mate.. Lexus every time!!!

Javadude - yes I am aware but how strange as you say - I consider the RX400 more lux than the IS - so why wouldn't they give the RX the keyless entry??

A few things for me to think about - I dont really want to move to another marque but have been loking at the Ford Kuga as well

Cheers everyone, though now it's looking more like 90-100k miles. Just gotta be patient until the right one comes up. There's some good deals a hundred plus miles away, tis just negotiating it right before I make the effort before going to see them.

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and have couple of concerns about buying an IS 220D

I've been looking on auto trader and for my budget it's showing mainly 56 plates IS220Ds with around 80K on the clock. I want to buy this car to last, and am going with Lexus for reliability and overall quality of the car.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any advice on what to avoid in the model? Also does anyone know on average how long they last until problems start popping up? I've heard of lexus's lasting hundreds of thousands of miles if well looked after, but buying probably an ex fleet car with 80-100k miles done in only a few years is a little worrying? I'm sure I could get a little astra with lower miles but I just wanted someone else to say, don't worry your lexus with 80k will last much longer than an astra with 40k.

Any input will help,

Cheers,

Jay.

Hi Jay, and Welcome aboard.

I'd offer the following

1. Insist on FULL LEXUS STAMPED HISTORY.

2. Ask Lexus of all remedial work done on the car

3. 80,000 miles should be fine. They have warranted the Head Gasket issue to 110,000 miles or 7 yrs.

4. Take any car on a good test run ( local and m/way) and see what mpg you are getting. Check out the feel of Clutch, Gearbox (1st to 2nd can be notchy) and how well the engine pulls. You should be quite surprised how well they go!

5. Take a good look under the bonnet. Check oil and water reservoirs(this applies to any car I know but the is220d has a bit of history here) for cleanliness of contents.

6. Seek assurances from Lexus regarding a future Head Gasket occurence and be picky over the warranty they are offering you on the vehicle.

7. Read all the posts on the forum relating to HEAD GASKET, Fuel Economy, etc issues. Better to be forewarned.

As they say, a little knowledge is a bonus, so absorb all you can.

At this point I will confess I really like this car despite the snag I had with the Head Gasket. For me Lexus were superb and did the right thing - I really can't complain. At present my Tank Average is 46.4, for me that's damned good!

Best of luck in finding what you want.

By the way,

You should not be put off by the fact that it is a Fleet car that you may be looking at. Some are very well looked after, take a good inspection to see if this is the case, you can tell pretty quickly Y or N. In a lot of cases the miles are racked up on motorway journeys - this is no bad thing. Fleet cars will invariably have Full Lexus stamped up history. Mine had 6 stamps in just under 3 years. Get the contact number for the previous owner and speak to them directly. Any garage that gets twitchy about you wanting to speak to the previous owner - - - say bye bye and walk away (what are they trying to hide).

Edited by normski2

What a great reply. This will be helpful to loads of people... including me. I also love my IS220D with a passion despite a few wee niggles. Still say that Lexus will always outclass the Ford etc. brands. They are not built for the executive/prestige marks like Lexus, BMW and Mercedes. Fords are dirt cheap to repair if they go wrong because the parts uded in the build are nowhere near the quality and tolerances in the Lexus.

Col... <[;o) (P.S. I also own a Ford!!) lol :winky::winky:

Any input will help,

Cheers,

Jay.

Hi Jay, and Welcome aboard.

I'd offer the following

1. Insist on FULL LEXUS STAMPED HISTORY.

2. Ask Lexus of all remedial work done on the car

3. 80,000 miles should be fine. They have warranted the Head Gasket issue to 110,000 miles or 7 yrs.

4. Take any car on a good test run ( local and m/way) and see what mpg you are getting. Check out the feel of Clutch, Gearbox (1st to 2nd can be notchy) and how well the engine pulls. You should be quite surprised how well they go!

5. Take a good look under the bonnet. Check oil and water reservoirs(this applies to any car I know but the is220d has a bit of history here) for cleanliness of contents.

6. Seek assurances from Lexus regarding a future Head Gasket occurence and be picky over the warranty they are offering you on the vehicle.

7. Read all the posts on the forum relating to HEAD GASKET, Fuel Economy, etc issues. Better to be forewarned.

As they say, a little knowledge is a bonus, so absorb all you can.

At this point I will confess I really like this car despite the snag I had with the Head Gasket. For me Lexus were superb and did the right thing - I really can't complain. At present my Tank Average is 46.4, for me that's damned good!

Best of luck in finding what you want.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links