Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot

OK today just realised my MOT has expired some time ago!!!, due to me being made redundent in my last job early this year i decided to go overseas for few months traveling during the time i just left my is200 in garage doing nothing and didnt think about MOT or get my family to sort it and expired while i was away, i not driven the car(only test driven few times round the block) as im currently doing work to it and i get the bus to work anyway, its far cheaper!so question is, is this a problem while its on my property doing nothing? as the police database keeps list of who's car is taxed/not taxed, insured/not insured and MOT Valid/expired.... obviously my next step is to book for MOT asap and not drive it till i get one... its still taxed and insured though...

OK today just realised my MOT has expired some time ago!!!, due to me being made redundent in my last job early this year i decided to go overseas for few months traveling during the time i just left my is200 in garage doing nothing and didnt think about MOT or get my family to sort it and expired while i was away, i not driven the car(only test driven few times round the block) as im currently doing work to it and i get the bus to work anyway, its far cheaper!so question is, is this a problem while its on my property doing nothing? as the police database keeps list of who's car is taxed/not taxed, insured/not insured and MOT Valid/expired.... obviously my next step is to book for MOT asap and not drive it till i get one... its still taxed and insured though...

Not a problem so long as you don't use it on roads. Keep it on your property and provided you pre-book your car into a garage for the MOT then you can drive it to the test centre without MOT, but make sure you have an appointment. Your test drives around the block could prove very expensive if police check you or you are involved in a collision.

As above but also remember the DVLA have now introduced continuous insurance so if you don't have valid insurance cover you must SORN the car and return the tax disc, having no MOT is fine as long as the car is kept off the road.

As Dave1 says make sure you have a prebooked appointment for the MOT and you must go directly to the test station and back home (if it fails).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, yeah got MOT done today and was all well, so happy :) never made this mistake before, guess i was lucky this time and i will know for next time!!! but lesson learnt for sure !!

Its a little loop hole in the law but back the day the police would give you a ticket to produce your documents at the station. the ticket was called a "horte". it required you to produce a vilid mot certificate. It did not ask you to provide and mot certificate valid at the time you was stopped. As long as you produced within 10 days i think it was then your ok.

I was once asked to produce my log book along with my mot. My mot had expired, i got one the next day and produced it. I couldnt find my log book, but on reading the ticket noticed it said "produce at convieniant time" (log book only) i still havnt took it in that was abotu 5 years ago. Non of that is really relavant now as you have your sorted. both above post are correct your ok to have your car of road but must declaire it sorn.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links