Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres Rx450

Just intrested if anyone changes their tyres over to winter tyres, After last years winter i was thinking of changing the front 2 tyres for YOKOHAMA winter tyres to get us through the cold weather and i'm sure some snow.

Thanks

Martin

:shifty:

Just intrested if anyone changes their tyres over to winter tyres, After last years winter i was thinking of changing the front 2 tyres for YOKOHAMA winter tyres to get us through the cold weather and i'm sure some snow.

Thanks

Martin

:shifty:

Why only the front two tyres? Highly dangerous.

All four tyres or nothing, do a search on here for reasons or you-tube or Google.

Imitated Falken HS-439 to my RX-350 last year. Completely transformed the car. A decimate must. Converted my opinion so much I have just put a set of Vredestein Wintrac X-tremes on the wife's Mercedes ML.

I challenge anyone to try a set of winter tyres in winter and not see the benefits.

Mark

Imitated Falken HS-439 to my RX-350 last year. Completely transformed the car. A decimate must. Converted my opinion so much I have just put a set of Vredestein Wintrac X-tremes on the wife's Mercedes ML.

I challenge anyone to try a set of winter tyres in winter and not see the benefits.

Mark

Well said guys,

The trouble is even tyre sellers are still confused about winter tyres and some give bad advice.

Mark

If the "must" is "decimated", it will not exist.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Pirelli Scorpion STR's on my RX300 and they were faultless in all weather to be honest. I'm from Sunderland and, like everyone last year, we had some pretty heavy snowfall. A friend got his IS220D stuck in a car park and I managed to tow him out after the AA flatbed got stuck on the way in to recover him! I think they are snowflake rated (don't hold me to that though) and they certainly didn't complain at anything that went underneath them. If someone was looking for an all-season tyre I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to recommend them

However they are currently very near to the wear indicators so I've taken the opportunity to get hold of some Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 4's to replace them. They should be fitted by next week so unfortunately I can't comment on them yet, but when/if we do get the winter we're expecting I might stick an update on :-). I would've just replaced like with like but the Vredesteins were £20 a corner cheaper and there is the possibility that I'll be changing the car come the end of the winter (although I've said that for past 2 years but I love the RX too much) so I thought it was worth the punt.

• 2 months later...

I have Pirelli Scorpion STR's on my RX300 and they were faultless in all weather to be honest. I'm from Sunderland and, like everyone last year, we had some pretty heavy snowfall. A friend got his IS220D stuck in a car park and I managed to tow him out after the AA flatbed got stuck on the way in to recover him! I think they are snowflake rated (don't hold me to that though) and they certainly didn't complain at anything that went underneath them. If someone was looking for an all-season tyre I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to recommend them

However they are currently very near to the wear indicators so I've taken the opportunity to get hold of some Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 4's to replace them. They should be fitted by next week so unfortunately I can't comment on them yet, but when/if we do get the winter we're expecting I might stick an update on :-). I would've just replaced like with like but the Vredesteins were £20 a corner cheaper and there is the possibility that I'll be changing the car come the end of the winter (although I've said that for past 2 years but I love the RX too much) so I thought it was worth the punt.

Just to update, I replaced my Bridgestone Duelers for 4 Yokohoma winter tyre and what a difference, much more grip and defo recommended, now wheres the SNOW

I have Vredestein Wintrac on a 350 and they have been superb. 3rd season and they have been coping with the horrendous snow we have been having in the alps very well. Driveway is steep and has frequently had over 5in on it. Would have preferred continentals but couldnt find them in my size.

Best to put them on exactly the same wheels as on the car as some insurance companys can be a bit funny about alloy upgrades even if you think they are downgrades.

I'm wondering where all of this promised snow is too!! It's been positively summerish around here, bar the gale force winds of the past couple of days! :lol:

I've done about 1800 miles since I had them fitted and I have to say they're a massive difference over what was taken off. This driving has been a good mix of town driving, longish local running about & a several 100 mile motorway runs (Sunderland -> Pontefract) over Christmas. Braking is sharper, steering is more positive, they're not squealing on moderately fast roundabouts and they're generally a lot quieter running. That being said, I'm saying they're a country mile better than well worn tyres. Whether they're better like for like, I couldn't tell you as I can't remember just how good the Pirelli's were when I first had them fitted about 3ish years ago :lol: Either way, I'm very happy with them thus far.

I have Vredestein Wintrac on a 350 and they have been superb. 3rd season and they have been coping with the horrendous snow we have been having in the alps very well. Driveway is steep and has frequently had over 5in on it. Would have preferred continentals but couldnt find them in my size.

Best to put them on exactly the same wheels as on the car as some insurance companys can be a bit funny about alloy upgrades even if you think they are downgrades.

I have Vredestein as well(dutch trade mark and quality fabrication) and as long as I wanted to keep original rims of the RX450h President-techno dynamic packs, there was no significant choice in terms of quality, silence and longevity (to be tested).

Excellent under nasty weather conditions and not tested on the snow yet :yawn:

In addition to this, regarding a remark from a member above, below 7°C it is recommended to use winter tires even if you drive AWD and all wheels must be equipped.

Edited by pinasse

I have Vredestein as well(dutch trade mark and quality fabrication) and as long as I wanted to keep original rims of the RX450h President-techno dynamic packs, there was no significant choice in terms of quality, silence and longevity (to be tested).

Excellent under nasty weather conditions and not tested on the snow yet :yawn:

In addition to this, regarding a remark from a member above, below 7°C it is recommended to use winter tires even if you drive AWD and all wheels must be equipped.

Wear will depend on temperature and vreds are not great for wear but having said that I would guess i have put 10-15k on mine and i still have a lot of tread left (arround 7+mm). The changeover temp for winter tyres that i have been told is nearer 12deg. I tend to put mine on at begin of nov and remove at easter.

They are definately noisier than my bridgestones (not by much but it is audible) and tend to be wander slightly more. I also get the impression that the fuel consumption goes up marginlly by 5% but that may simply be a temperature thing and/or faster speeds on Continental mways.

I would be wary of using the same rims for summer and winter tyres as in my experience they can get damaged by errant tyre fitters swapping them over twice a year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links