Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first post - I currently have a 2004 Honda Accord and I am considering buying an IS250 auto but I'm worried by the posts about rattling dashboards and doors, everything else seems great.

Do they affect all IS250s produced or is there a model year when these rattles were fixed on cars leaving the factory?

Many thanks,

Tim

Mine's a 250 auto "59" and so far have not had a rattle anywhere. The subject has been discussed at length many times, though more in the early years of production and I think there is information available for curing most of them.

Don't know about them being fixed before leaving the factory but over the years I would think modifications to the assembly process will have been made in an attempt to eradicate the rattles reported by some owners

I don't think you will have any regrets becoming an owner as the 250 auto is a superb car, the longer I have mine the more I appreciate just how good it is.

Good luck.

Mines a 55 Auto and it certainly rattles and has done for a few years now, can be either side of the dashboard on certain road surfaces but its worth it because the car is awesome .:whistling:

Mine is a late 2007 car. The rattles are terrible, the driver's seat squeaks and the dealers don't want to know.

I'm sure newer cars are better but there have been some rattly late cars. The dealers will help as long as you still have the opportunity to complete a JD Power form!;)

The whole experience has put me off the brand for good. I tried to give my car to my brother last month and he didn't want it!!

I,m not that impressed by the car, the longer I have it, there are rattles and the road noise is starting to bug me.

I'm starting to like the A4 2.7 tdi and Honda Accord 2.2 d-tec EX now, but I do realy like the Lexus, if only it didn't have those little faults, if that makes sense

Only a very small percentage of launch 250's had the potential to rattle due to initial design issues with trim clips-my 2005 reqd.a new console surround to fix my only rattle,my'58 plate was perfect from day1 so,too,my new ISF.

JD Power Surveys say it all,IS 250's are simply the best car you can buy.

Visit the German Auto Forums to confirm the above!

Tel

Thanks for all your replies so far, this is really useful information. My Honda Accord has been almost faultless for over 140000 miles but it feels tired now, I love the idea of a 6 cylinder engine before they become illegal.

I'd be looking at a 2007 car, I guess I need a test drive to see if the car is a good or bad one.

Only a very small percentage of launch 250's had the potential to rattle due to initial design issues with trim clips

I'm sure if this was the case the dealer would have told me that it was just my imagination ;), as it is the line was "interior faults are not covered by your warranty".

The build quality in my opinion is some way behind that of a Honda Accord. The overall feeling is of a car with lots of toys and showroom appeal but rather less substance when you get behind the wheel. If you are getting a cheap secondhand deal then it feels like a lot of car for the money. You'd probably be looked after with a new car though the only reason I can think you'd buy one is if you hadn't tried the alternatives.

I bought my car at 3 years old with 12,000 miles on the clock from a main dealer thinking that it would be a safe bet. BIG mistake!

Don't get too worked up about the six pot engine by the way - it is very smooth but completely gutless.

I,m not that impressed by the car, the longer I have it, there are rattles and the road noise is starting to bug me.

I'm starting to like the A4 2.7 tdi and Honda Accord 2.2 d-tec EX now, but I do realy like the Lexus, if only it didn't have those little faults, if that makes sense

You're not that impressed by the car but do really like it, does that make sense? Well......err.......no, perhaps it needs deeper contemplation.

What I mean is, I like the looks, it's amongst the best looking cars around, but Im starting to think, thats not enough to outweigh it's faults, and I would be stupid to do otherwise, it's just not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

I would never call the engine gutless it does a lovely job but if you compare it with the newer engines that are turboed and supercharged I suppose upi could call it old fashioned now ? :tomato:

Thanks for all your replies so far, this is really useful information. My Honda Accord has been almost faultless for over 140000 miles but it feels tired now, I love the idea of a 6 cylinder engine before they become illegal.

I'd be looking at a 2007 car, I guess I need a test drive to see if the car is a good or bad one.

Used to have an 04' accord - nice car - pretty much bullet proof. Probably about same size as IS with smallish back seat area.

I'd go for the newest I can afford but dont expect to hear any rattles on the test drive...

Mine's a mid 2006 auto and apart from tyre noise (naff tyres) there was just a hint of the centre speaker/sat nav rattle but nowt else. However over the year plus I've had it ,creaks squeaks & rattles have appeared sporadically all over - the drivers seat one, the satnav/speaker, rear screen creaks and on one or two short occasions the whole dash seemed to be squeaking rediculously in unison. This was not good - If it was a regular thing I'd have got rid by now. But all these things are rare/occasional since happens more when :tomato: its sunny! so overall I put up with it because I still like the car to look at and drive. What really worries me is the costs when anything goes wrong. Recent long trip warning lights came on - turned out a faulty speed sensor on a rear wheel - will be 200+ fitted. Never mind depreciation, tyres etc. If that engine starts to play up though its curtains for the IS!

You dont want an unreliable toyota do you!

M

I have experience of 5 Lexus Dealers who would never state a "new" sale would exclude interior faults.

Tel

I don't doubt what you say but mine was a low mileage secondhand car. Looking after new customers has built up the Lexus myth via the JD Power surveys but masks the fact that there are fundamental quality issues with the IS. It's not a bad car, just a long way behind the competition.

If you want a decent two to three year old six pot saloon without buying German, I can highly recommend a Subaru Legacy Spec B.

I would never call the engine gutless it does a lovely job but if you compare it with the newer engines that are turboed and supercharged I suppose upi could call it old fashioned now ? :tomato:

For it to be called gutless surprises me but all we can do is give our own opinion, I've never heard it described thus until now.

I purchased mine after numerous test drives of the Lexus and all other makes that appealed to me, in the end I was in no doubt. I have some criticism's though, the 18 inch wheels look very nice but think 17 inch would improve the ride, it would be handy if the rear seats folded and there was more depth in the boot and the opening is a bit tight also if you fill the car with your big mates it's a bit tight in the back.

With regard to the cost of repairs, there is a hell of a lot of equipment on the car, electric everything and even if mine continues to be problem free when it gets to three years old I will still purchase the Lexus extended warranty and will continue to do so until I decide to change it.

I personally have the extended warranty and tried a claim or two and all I got was an offer for a percentageof the repair costs as " its five years old you know " funnily enough im not going to bother next year .:tomato:

Is this the extended warranty that costs £760/year?

So.........if their car does not live up to the reliability hype you are paying for the majority of the costs, if it does they still get £760/year anyway. On top of that they are guaranteed further income because you have to get all work and servicing done with them. I can't fault the business model ;).

Interesting, the posts here are the exact opposite of my experiences. I've now put 10k on my 07 and it's been flawless and is pretty much silent on the move. Lexus Derby have been fantastic when I've used them and even swapped all four wheels because one had stonechips on it! They also wash it for me FOC once a month. :)

On the basis of this one I'd never go back to the Germans (had both an A4 and 3 series previously, the 3 was the better car of the two IMO), they just seem noisy and unrefined in comparison...

We almost bought another for the missus, but she ended up with an MX-5 in the end because she wanted something fun. We've got the best of both worlds now. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links