Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trans Fluid Change Using Pela Oil Extractor Through The Dipstick

MUDGUTS

Has anyone experience of changing the transmission fluid using a Pela Oil Extractor through the dipstick? Pela Oil Extractor Pump

I have been thinking about replacing some of the fluid by draining and re-filling. However this means getting underneath the car and messing around more than I would like as I can't get to the transmission drain plug without putting the car on ramps.

It's not the end of the world but I was wondereing if a Pela Pump might make the job easier. Also There is the option of running the car for a few seconds to fill the sump again then sucking some more out. That may mean getting more than 2 litres out on one go.

Well, I ended up just driving the car up onto two large bricks, the extra 4 inches or so it raised the car was enough for me to reach the Transmission drain plug.

I drained about 2.5 litres out and remembering that last time I checked the fluid level it seemed a bit high, I replaced only 2.3 litres. I checked the level after a drive and it's OK but I guess still a little on the high side.

The condition of the fluid was not so good. I would describe it as the colour of molasses or strong black coffee.

I'll do another drain and fill in a few hundred miles and maybe continue the process a few more times. It was very easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Richard said, doing a full transmission fluid change is not difficult and saves the time doing just a sump change. I did mine jacked up on axle stands. You just need a mate to turn the car over for short intervals while you are under the radiator checking how much is pumped out. I'm a real novice at such things and so if I can manage it.....

Jim

• 2 months later...

Sorry mate - that sump has to come off. If your trans fluid is like molasses or strong black coffee then it's long overdue - and the filter will need changing too. The lexls tutorial works - and it's valuable info for free. But you will need a ramp or hoist. Not sure I'd trust the dealer - they will inevitably take short cuts and quite possibly not use the correct fluid. (You must use genuine T-IV and you'll need 10l of it.)

• 3 weeks later...

Well Gents, time limitations LED me to carry on with the 2 litre changes. I managed to get enough changed by doing this 5 or so times a few hundred miles apart to have 68% of the fluid new now. I used just under 10 Litres of Type 4. It's running really well, despite that problem at 4000 RPM. I have done over 7000 miles in it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links