Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

98 Gs 300 Accelerator Pedal Problem

Our car just lost all power coming up to a junction. The engine check & vsc light was on, The car was still running but pressing the accelerator did nothing unless i pressed it to the floor then it would rev (acting like an on off switch)

I switch the engine off and pumped the pedal. (thinking it might have a flyby wire system and a bad connection) Started it back up and all was fine

Does the GS use a wired system or a cable? if its a wired system is there an easy fix? (contact cleaner maybe) if its a replacement part are they easy to get hold of? and how much?

Anyone?

Your GS300 uses a conventional cable to connect the pedal to the throttle, have a look inside the engine bay to see if the throttle linkage moves when some one presses on the pedal, if no movement can be seen check under the dash to see if the cable has come off the pedal or snapped, also make sure the cable is attached at the throttle end in the engine bay.

Another check is to locate the throttle linkage in the engine bay,start the engine then manually move the linkage to see if the engine revs up normally,this would confirm a break somewhere between here and the pedal.

If you do find the problem please come back and let us know what you found.

The car worked fine after 10 mins and has done since

to me it felt like an electronic failure, No clunks or pedals dropping to the floor

Could it have gone in to limp home mode?

Just to clarify my gs is a MK2

98 is before OBDII connection became mandatory on cars in the UK but does the MK2 GS have one? if so where is it?

maybe its stored a fault code

• 2 weeks later...

There is an ODBII socket on the lower dash panel on the drivers side. Unfortunately, pre 2000 cars (I think it is 2000) aren't "fully" ODBII compliant. My code reader won't read my 99 GS300 Sport, but does read my 2001 GS430 Sport.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links