Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reliability Of Mk1 Rx300?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some detailed user's reviews regarding the MK1 RX300 and in particular any know issues to be aware of when expecting to purchase a used one. Thw only concerning thing thats keeps turning up is that alot of our US partners have had real big issues regarding the transmission/gearbox and blame it on bad design, the confusing thing is that not alot of this issue gets highlighted from UK owners when the googles search results on this issue? Therefore can someone please clarify if there is indeed a design flaw to the MK1 RX300 gearbox meaning that all will eventually fail regardless of maintenance or was on certain year models? Anything else to know will be great as I will be looking at a couple this week.

Cheers

I find US drivers comments on most things a bit weird sometimes. When I was looking at tyre reviews, you see them complaining that tyres have "only" lasted 30,000 miles and they regularly have occurrences of flat spotting overnight!

Personally, our 2001 RX300 has been very reliable over the 6ish years and 50,000 miles we've done it it (it was bought around 2005 with 45,000 miles on the clock). It's had full Lexus history with the first owner, we had our first service done by Lexus then it's been serviced annually/10,000 miles by a local garage which we've used for families BMW's, Vauxhalls & Toyota's.

The only extra expenditure, over servicing, tyres & brakes, was a sensor on the exhaust that only Lexus was able to sort out. 2 independent garages tried to replace the sensor and reset the light but to no avail. Lexus sorted it out within a day and the bill was a fairly reasonable £260ish. I've currently got a small drip/leak from the bottom of the (original) radiator but it's very slow so whilst I will get it sorted ASAP it's not an left the car laid up.

Oh, and the drivers side side-light bulb has blown. grrrrrr :lol:

Whilst I'm not saying that the RX transmission is infallible, I wonder if they expect too much and how well/regular they maintain their vehicles.

This kind of comment is what I'm talking about.

I have had the Scorpion STR H rated tires for several years and they have performed adequately. However, the tread is just about gone and I will need new tires after only 32,000 miles.
Expedition - 275/55R20 - Not a bad tire for dry and rain but not impressed last winter. With 48,000 miles on them now I need to get new tires before this winter's smow flies, very poor tread life.

I find US drivers comments on most things a bit weird sometimes. When I was looking at tyre reviews, you see them complaining that tyres have "only" lasted 30,000 miles and they regularly have occurrences of flat spotting overnight!

I have had the Scorpion STR H rated tires for several years and they have performed adequately. However, the tread is just about gone and I will need new tires after only 32,000 miles.
Expedition - 275/55R20 - Not a bad tire for dry and rain but not impressed last winter. With 48,000 miles on them now I need to get new tires before this winter's smow flies, very poor tread life.

If only those levels could be achived in the UK. BUut, wait are US miles not shorter than ours?!!!

B

If only those levels could be achived in the UK. BUut, wait are US miles not shorter than ours?!!!

i would have thought being the US they would have been BIGGER

:lol: if only Just to really rub it in, most of those tyres (Pirelli Scorpions) will be fitted to mahoossive V8 SUV's and Trucks like Ford Expeditions, Excursioms & F250 which weigh 900+kg more than a mk1 RX300!! And from what I can gather, some tyre firms warrant the tyres for upwards of 60,000 miles if they're rotated regularly!

Forgot to mention, one of the prospective ones is a Harrier in disguise, low mileage, better condition than others, worth a look as it's similar specs with it's EU counter part but a good £600+ cheaper, anything to be aware of regarding the imports??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links