Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Balancing On Ser 4 Standard Wheels!

Have had wheels balanced 2 times in past month.

First time the car still didn't feel right and, after having other stuff checked coincidentally, while having Service, I was recommended by the Lexus mechanic, to try a different Tyre place.

He said to get them to use clip-on weights if possible.

Apart from the lack of aesthetics etc, re Clip-ons.....I wasn't TOO bothered. Rather it runs smoothly than LOOKS smooth?

And we all know that the weights that stick on the inner surface get knocked off by the callipers if badly placed!

So; clip-ons it was (and 1st wheel tested was unbalanced even though done 4 weeks back!).

Off I went to conveniently near M-Way (no, I mean Private road....) to test.

Clunk in wheel arch, (after 1/4 mile!)

Another clunk at 60 mph......the weights had flown off!

The rims of the wheels are too 'slight' to give much grip!

Back to shop. Did (Them all!) again!

Off back on the track.

Familiar clunk, though only ONE this time.

So back....

"Put the spare on" I said, as it is near-new and only has small weights on.

Off back to track......one weight flies off!

How much are DHP wheels I start thinking, for, at this rate I could have bought a set!

They ARE bigger aren't they? 17 inch not 16 etc?

Food for thought.

Anyone want 16 inch wheels for 17 inchers?

(After THIS sales patter!? (-:)

Back tomorrow, if they'll let me in again!

I have never had a problem with stick on weights.

Well to be completely honest the only problem I have had with them is removing them, they actually take some getting off and then leave the sticky goo behind which needs a good solvent to completely remove.

I guess it is all down to the condition of the rim surface they are being attached to, if there is some corrosion they may not stick effectively.

I have never had a problem with stick on weights.

Well to be completely honest the only problem I have had with them is removing them, they actually take some getting off and then leave the sticky goo behind which needs a good solvent to completely remove.

I guess it is all down to the condition of the rim surface they are being attached to, if there is some corrosion they may not stick effectively.

Agree Steve! That's what was on originally. Today's place reckoned "the machine goes a bit haywire with those on these wheels....."?

Back again tomorrow.

Bear in mind that stick on weights come extremely close to the caliper. I'd never have clip on weights on my wheels, they look terrible.

I always say, if a tyre place can't balance your wheels, go to somewhere that can do road force balancing - wheels don't distort with the weight of the car on them, but tyres do.

Wheel Force Balancing! Another term to add to my Lexicon!

So, Tony; do you do that? If ever I'm off to Heathrow again......can include Chesham in the visit!

But MAY be p/exing the car soon, unless there's a fan looking here!

Was bought to 'see me out' but there's another temptation arising!

If you think about a tyre, it's fairly squishy. A bog-standard balancing machine won't take that squishyness into consideration, so if you get a tyre that has a minor flaw, and flexes at a particular point....wobble wobble wobble.

Road force balancing simulates the weight of the car on the tyre, as it's being balanced. The machine can then balance out any imperfections in the tyre.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links