Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving In Snow

microgerry

How are people managing in the snow in a CT200? Yesterday was my first experience in the snow in this car and I found it to have very poor traction. It doesn't look like the traction control can be turned off which can be annoying. I was driving (like I normally would) up a hill yesterday and the car car just slowed to a standstill. Because the traction control was cutting in the abs was applied to improve traction but it just stopped. Petrol engine refused to rev like any other car. When I gave up and turned around there was a very unpleasant smell for about ten minutes when I thought I had damaged something. Everything seemed to be ok thankfully and the car performed ok for the rest of our journey. Not too keen to take it out again in the snow, which is difficult as we live at the top of a hill! Anyone else experienced difficulties these last few days?

Hi, I can only, at present, relate to driving my old gen 2 Prius in last winters very heavy snow and I found the car to perform well. Where neighbours were slipping and sliding and revving the nuts of their cars to get off the slightly inclined driveways and just engaged reverse and let the torque pull the car out. Yes, the nanning ABS gets in the way at times but I've always found driving out of snow easy in the Prius. I'm hoping to get my new CT this Thursday so I'll see what the differences if it snows again. Up here in northern North Yorkshire we've just had rainy sleet so far.

• 1 month later...

I have a SE-I model which doesnt feature so many extras. Traction control, ( if it exists on the base model) isnt intrusive or non existant and therefore I have encountered no problems with the snow or any other potentially slippery surfaces My wife has a Prius Tspirit which has traction control and it is really a major pain on anything but the high traction surfaces. It is certainly much quicker not to have traction control when pulling out of T junctions. My right foot seems to be able to control the traction far better than the electronics.

Generally, driving on snow relies very heavily on allowing my car to move by itself up to around 5 MPH. So far I have encountered very good snow manners. My car is running the narrower 16" option tyres and wheels which may also explain some of the better behaviour in the snow.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links