Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slide Pin In The Rear Brake Calipers Seized (Check Yours)

Hello All,

Just recently I have had to replace my front & rear disc's and pads on my 57 plate IS220D.

When fitting the rear pads I found they didn't fit well but forced them into position, a test drive later I could smell burning and my disc were glowing red, but after a while the pads wore down and the disc stopped over heating.

After a few weeks I noticed I was getting a lot of break dust and the outer pads were wearing out quicker than the inner pads. I investigate this, this weekend and found that my slide pin had seized on both calipers and am having serious problems freeing them up

Anyway after doing a bit of investigating I have found the attached SSC document from America on Club Lexus, which I thought I would share with you, as if nothing else it has some good diagrams of the rear brakes. I'm just wondering how many people have this problem without knowing as it seems to be quite common in the UK, and I am a bit miffed that this wasn't done in the UK as this may be very expensive for me to rectify

I wonder if this may also be an attributing factor to poor MPG (rubbing pad).

h**p://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/suspension-and-brakes/163737d1265423676-help-seized-slide-pin-l-cp-9lb-0001-w.pdf

Enjoy

regards

L-CP-9LB-0001-W1.pdf

Anyway after doing a bit of investigating I have found the attached SSC document

from America on Club Lexus, which I thought I would share with you, as if

nothing else it has some good diagrams of the rear brakes. I'm just wondering

how many people have this problem without knowing as it seems to be quite common

in the UK, and I am a bit miffed that this wasn't done in the UK as this may be

very expensive for me to rectify

It is/was a known issue and has been discussed on the forum many times http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=70528&st=0&p=742881&hl=+rear%20+brake%20+calipers&fromsearch=1entry742881

As it says, I had my rear calipers changed on my IS250 SE-L by Lexus Cheltenham twice, once under warranty when the sliders seized and again under recall when I assumed they had modified the design to prevent it re-occurring.

It is/was a known issue and has been discussed on the forum many times http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=70528&st=0&p=742881&hl=+rear%20+brake%20+calipers&fromsearch=1entry742881

As it says, I had my rear calipers changed on my IS250 SE-L by Lexus Cheltenham twice, once under warranty when the sliders seized and again under recall when I assumed they had modified the design to prevent it re-occurring.

Thanks for your comments, I had read that thread already but you would typically only find and read it if you already had the problem and were looking for it.

My motivation for starting this thread was the great info in the document and the hope readers who already have the problem without knowing will benefit, those still in warranty can check before their warranty expires :angry: and those who don't have the problem may be able to prevent it from happening to them with some TLC once a year, using the info in the document.

I think this is an issue that is over looked on all models. When I changed my rear pads last year I found one of the caliper pins semi siezed. The service interval for an old LS like mine is 6,000 and I think it's good practice to check and lubricate things like caliper pins at the same time. It doesn't add much time but it can save much grief in the long term. I wonder how many times pads are changed by companies like Kwik Fit etc and caiper operation is ignored, most times I suspect.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links