Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Guys and Girls

Just taken the plunge and purchased a 2008 RX 400h SE with 50,000 miles on the clock and early indications are that its a lovely vehicle.

One question (although I am sure there shall be others)which I am sure has covered extensively in the past, can I override the DVD player for when the vehicle is moving, purely to enable my kids to sit up front oand in the middle of the back seat and watch a movie.

A bit of a pleasant surprise really as I didnt know it had a DVD player, or the auto boot open/close or the 'on a bend' headlights - are these standard on the SE or extras? See, more questions already!

Oh and I bought it from a dealer who isnt Lexus(purely because Lexus Leeds bid me a ridiculous £11k on a 2008 BMW 330d Sport convertible with similar miles, which I thought was an insult)for £18,950.

Any comments gratefully recieved.

TTT

• 1 year later...

Hi mate, I've got a 2007 400H SR MM (multimedia) got the Mark Levinson system, 6 disc DVD changer, plays DVDs etc.

I would also like to do the same as you for the front passenger to watch a DVD movie whilst car is in motion.

As far as I can figure out the DVD movie only plays when the vehicle is stationary with the parking brake on.

Most after market head units with the DVD function require a wire to be connected to the handbrake to prohibit DVD playing whilst driving, simple solution for this is to just earth this wire out, unit thinks handbrake is on even though is isn't and thus plays DVDs whilst driving.

Could there be a similar simple mod for the Mark Levinson unit...... I don't know?

C'mon all you Lexus tech guru enthusiasts......... Anyone got any ideas?

If it's just DVD's you want to play and aren't bothered about the telephone menu's, etc then yes, cut the wire that goes to ground when the brake pedal is pressed. I think it is red with a black stripe but you can easily meter it. Tape up the part that comes from the loom. The part that is still connected to the socket at the back of the ML, short it to ground. It now thins the parking brake is on.

...and you have to consider any unknown impact on the multi media system and Sat Nav, and more importantly the usual insurance implications should you be involved in an accident while a DVD is playing.

...and you have to consider any unknown impact on the multi media system and Sat Nav, and more importantly the usual insurance implications should you be involved in an accident while a DVD is playing.

Obviously the danger issue while driving is no question, but unknown impact on the multimedia system and Sat Nav?

Geoffers, Duncan, DanD; You guys are absolutely right about the safety, warranty and legal implications of watching DVD etc while driving, I must therefore point out that any mods to enable this feature as described is at your own risk.........

Separate note, how you guys getting on with the current weather conditions?

Geoffers, Duncan, DanD; You guys are absolutely right about the safety, warranty and legal implications of watching DVD etc while driving, I must therefore point out that any mods to enable this feature as described is at your own risk.........

Separate note, how you guys getting on with the current weather conditions?

Bear in mind that I chose the word "see" deliberately. "Seeing" it is quite separate from 'watching' it and both distinct criminal offences and concerns to an insurer.

Fine, the RX300/400 have always coped with snow up to 6/8 inches - possible more on wind swept hills as I have never stopped to measure the maximum depth!

400h coped admirably with the snow in the depths of Hampshire over the weekend, in fact far better than I had expected. I live at the bottom of a hill that was not gritted and had no problem getting to the top. No doubt performance was helped with the fact that I had 4 new tyres fitted (Dunlop SP270) fitted earlier in the week.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links