Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How To: Replacing The Numberplate Lamps (Nightmare!)

Replacing the numberplate lamps should be about the simplest of bulb replacements one can perform.

Driving without working lamps can result in a MOT failure.

Mine were gone and I set out to replace them. Just to notice that there is NO WORD about this in the car's manual and that it is a bl**dy nightmare job.

Might be that I used the long way and missed a trick, but at least, it will show that Lexus wants you to go to the dealership and spend money :megaangry:

Find below the "how to":

Step 1: Loosen the trim of the bootlid by prying the plastic pins loose with a screwdriver.

IMG_9315C.jpg

Step 2: Undo the four screws that keeps the strip in place that sits over the numberplate lamps.

IMG_9320C.jpg

Careful, you also need to undo the two middle ones that keep the lock in place.

IMG_9323C.jpg

IMG_9325C.jpg

Step 3: Now gently pry the strip loose. Bear in mind that it's still held in place by two more plastic pins which are pretty stubborn. Careful, the strip is pretty brittle !

You might not need to take this strip off, but you'll struggle to get the housing of the lamps out and you will need to be a smurf to get to the bulbs.

These are the annoying pins.

IMG_9318C.jpg

Now go and get a cup of tea... you're only half way.

Step 4: In normal circumstances you'd now assume you can take the transparent cover off the bulb, swap the bulb and fit everything back...

Sure, well our Japanese engineers seem to like SM.

First of all, the bulb is in a closed housing which is clipped onto the bootlid. It would be easy to unclip... if someone at Toyota had not had the brilliant idea to cover the housing at the inside with a metal cover / tunnel. WHY ?? God knows !! It's an absolutely useless !

So you have to slide your fingers into this metal "tunnel" and push the plastic clip so the lamp housing pops out.

Narrow ! Better ask you wife for help.

IMG_9326C.jpg

Step 5: Take the lamp holder out of the back of the housing, swap the bulb... and reassemble your Lexus with Japanese attention to detail !

Good luck !

IMG_9319C.jpg

IMG_9328C.jpg

Thanks for the write up :) very useful.

Do you thing the numberplate lights from the newer is would fit?

No clue. Why would you swap them? In the end, only thing you want to do is swap 2 5W bulbs every 110000 miles... which DOES prove to be a nightmare.

Anyway, hope it will be useful for others and save them the money of a mechanic.

No clue. Why would you swap them? In the end, only thing you want to do is swap 2 5W bulbs every 110000 miles... which DOES prove to be a nightmare.

Anyway, hope it will be useful for others and save them the money of a mechanic.

the ones on the 2 generation IS produce a white light rather than yellow. but I won't be replacing them unless they go.

the ones on the 2 generation IS produce a white light rather than yellow. but I won't be replacing them unless they go.

Well, I don't know if you noticed, but the UK numberplates are a tiny bit yellow too... And I am colourblind ! :D

Solution can be to use blue bulbs in your numberplate lamp. They'll give a white light.

That being said, you don't often see the rear of your own car when you drive around in the dark :innocent:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links