Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2006 plate Lexus GS450h privately. It has given me untold joy over the last 2 months and is by far the best car I have ever owned - I love it!

However, the snow over the weekend proved to be a bit of a nightmare - my first real experience of snow in a rear wheel drive and the hybrid system was quite complex to manage in the icy weather. I was travelling for about 45-50 minutes at a very low (and sensible) speed given the conditions and I think the Battery took quite a hit. I also struggled to get back to where I was staying on local roads with lots of wheelspin etc.

When I started the car up this evening, it came up with an error saying 'Check Hybrid System'. The Battery indicator on the dashboard was empty and it worrying didn't appear to charge. However, once started and driven a bit it soon started recharging and I have just returned home after driving over 120 miles on it. No problems at all and the Battery levels are now slightly off full as usual both on the dash indicator and the Info menu. The info menu also showed the car charging the Battery and depleting it where it needed to, again as usual. So basically it seems like it has sorted itself out.

However, the yellow light on the dash is still on and I still get the error message. I have powered the car off and on again but no change. Check Hybrid System still appears.

Any ideas or hints? I am crossing fingers that I just need to somehow reset the computer and it will switch off the warning instead of there actually being a problem. I don't obviously have a warranty covering this and I know these warnings can get expensive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

my 450 h did exactly this 3 years and 100,000 miles ago, because my local dealer was very unhelpfull saying they could not look at it for a few days I decided to drive it down to Hatfield the next day, by the time I got there all the warnings had gone off, they said it needed a software update which was performed and to this day (touch wood!) have had no more bother. It has been a really good strong car but I do keep it under a warranty because there is a lot to go wrong.

Good luck Tony

UPDATE:

I just read online that a few successful power cycles can sometimes get rid of the indicator and it just worked! I think the car needs you to successfully switch on and off a few times before it will clear the message. I worked out including the trip home, it had had 3 cycles already. I took it for a 4th cycle and the 'Check Hybrid System' message went but the engine light remained. Did it once more and the lights are out!

Obvioiusly I need to bed this in for a few days before I break open the champagne, but fingers crossed. it may explain why a lot of users say this problem mysteriously goes away...

Cheers,

Richard

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links